D.J. Hughes - 2021 Forward (Verbal)

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, May 5, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,509
    Definitely. Do you happen to know what team he is on?

Edit: He has run with Indiana Elite in the past. I have scanned through every one of their team rosters at the 15U and 16U age group and don't see him listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,509
    DJ Hughes continues to have success as a rim runner. He’s got maybe 7 dunks in 1.5 games so far.

Young and Reckless up 12 at the half. Kimahri Wilson is a combo guard that is having a great game. UIC only offer so far. He’s knocked down a few 3s and had a smooth pull up mid range jumper to go with a handful of assists after getting into the lane.

Julius Rollins is also intriguing. I don’t see any info on him out there. He’s a super bouncy wing listed at 6’5” but has a huge wingspan. He’s been matched up with Lands in a fun battle. Both have blocked each other multiple times.

cornette33 likes this.
  3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    Coach Mcarty? o_O

4. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,102
    I was told this is supposed to be Coach Meyer, but autocorrect lol.

BHayden, cornette33, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,509
    Love the offer. Versatile, athletic big. I love the post players the staff is targeting. Another one of those guys that critics will say is too small but just ends up being a matchup nightmare.

6. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,149
    In January I called an all Indiana class of Thomas, Taylor, Wesley and Hughes with Hughes being the sleeper pick to round out the all-Indiana motif.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,806
    Is he athletic? What is his skill set?

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,509
    Definitely athletic. It’s been a while since I’ve seen him, so I’m not really up to date. He has some shooting and ball handling skills but they were kind of awkward for lack of a better term. Which is to be expected for a junior. He can shoot a little bit but I definitely wouldn’t say his shot is college ready. Sounds like he’s put on a lot of muscle since I saw him.

HoosierDawg and Insane Dawg like this.
  9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,099

Also says he's up to 6'8 and up 15 pounds since March. Dude oozes match l matchup nightmare. Here's got handles and can dunk from anywhere. Not afraid to get physical, great timing on his blocks, relentless work ethic. Love this offer.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,738
    The fact he was a force on the state's top team should answer any questions. I've had a chance to see him several times on TV only. He is particularly mobile for a big, yet has much room for improvement on his skills.

2xDawg likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,246
    I think I need this guy with pierce. I may stops even caring if we win games. The entertainment value would be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

HoosierDawg likes this.
  12. seadawg

Money:
    $6,738
    Hughes has a shockingly light list of offers. Expect that to change as BU becomes his first HM offer. Acquiring his services will become another issue.

estar20dawg likes this.
  13. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,342
    As an LN alum, would love to see us pickup a Wildcat.

I watched them a couple times this year and my takeaways were he was a strong, physical, athletic modern 5. Seemed a bit raw and struggled with foul trouble at times, but that's true of 99% of young bigs. Think he's a great fit with what we have here and coming in.

HoosierDawg likes this.
  14. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,099
    I agree, I don't know how he is rated so lightly, maybe scouting didn't know if he was a wing, but at 6'8 and growing sounding still, with his athleticism he kinda reminds me of a poor man's Amare Stoudamire. I think he would thrive in LJ versatility system and yes how salivating would a lineup be with a Tate/Harris Pierce Scooby Coles DJ lineup be, good lord that would be highlight city not too mention if you go with Harris in that lineup a lockdown defensive versatile lineup...

15. seadawg

Money:
    $6,738
    Thomas is a smothering defender. Opposition players rarely attempt shots when guarded by him. Between that and passing ability, it's difficult to determine which my be his finest quality other than being a tremendous athlete.

HoosierDawg and estar20dawg like this.
  16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,246
    I like that thought. I saw the frame and the ease of the explosiveness and that was good enough for me. Being a real 6’8 vs 6’6 or even 6’7 would be a big deal here

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BoyGeoff likes this.
  17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,099
    He is unafraid, relentless and the biggest thing I've heard that sold me was his work ethic is off the charts I've heard from everyone, not just one of two, everyone raves about how hard this kid works.

https://247sports.com/player/d-j-hughes-46054937/

My Fave

BHayden and Jared Grubbs like this.
  18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    cornette33 likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,806
    Couple of videos on YouTube highlighting DJ Hughes. He is well built and athletic.

shoeevv likes this.
  20. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,191
    I'm happy about this offer. And while there is nothing about this that is inherently good, I like the idea of an all-Hoosier class.

Glad to have some basketball related news.