D.J. Hughes - 2021 Forward (Verbal)

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, May 5, 2018.

1. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,283
    I totally agree about their athleticism and potential. The Dawgs are going to be fun to watch over the next few years.

2. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,197
    Crazy what we have done on the recruiting trail the last two years or so...
    Hughes is going to be a player and I love that this class is local talent, we have an unreal mix of players coming in the next two years

Depth we have never seen at Butler before and in my opinion depth on a roster only makes players better as they practice against each other

Also offseason with lavall and company has been pretty spot on with constant good news to talk about, I like that

Hope everyone is staying safe
    Cheers to Butler basketball and drinking some good beers

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

iluvsnow, BHayden, bobbu64 and 3 others like this.
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,738
    By all accounts, Hughes appears to be a new age renaissance man.

4. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,313
    I am by no means saying our players will become NBA players (but I hope they do), but some other ones that are pretty interesting:

Jimmy Butler - 2 Star - 1253rd ranked
    Damian Lillard - 3 Star
    Russell Westbrook - 3 Star - 137th ranked
    Steph Curry - 3 Star - 263rd ranked
    Paul George - Unranked - Didn't crack top 200
    Saddiq Bey - 3 Star
    Dwayne Wade - Unranked
    Scottie Pippen - 0 offers out of high school and had to walk-on and be a team manager
    Donte Divenenzo - Ranked 124
    Jevon Carter - Ranked 299
    Victor Oladipo - Ranked 139
    Kawhi Leonard - Ranked 57th (Okay not that bad?)
    CJ McCollum - 3 Star
    Jimmer Fredette - 3 Star
    George Hill - 2 Star
    Rodney Stuckey - 3 Star
    Ja Morant - Unranked
    Gordon Hayward - 3 Star

5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,099
    DJ is 160 right now and more than like would have jumped to right around 100 in the next update, my guess is he will be inside the top 150 when his senior year ends, but won't ultimately be inside the top 100 due to committing now to us. His skillset and level just find it hard that 247 could keep his ranking down even with the commitment. They really don't like to be super wrong, they will keep him in the 3 star level.

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,246
    Usually 3 star guys ranked around 150 are good college players that become reasonably significant contributors their last two years. Some don’t become anything, some become lottery picks but most are going to be good, valuable, but not exceptional college players. Why? Because the people that do the ratings have enough familiarity to evaluate their talent accurately.

This year, however, those evaluation opportunities are far less prevalent. I expect there to be way greater volatility in performance vs ranking than we’ve had in many, many years. The flip side of this is that we may be recruiting guys who just haven’t developed or don’t develop and are absolute busts.

Hughes is a guy where I am not sure he’s an NBA player bc I just don’t know how developed his perimeter skills are, and he’s not an interior player in the NBA. While he showed a willingness to put the ball on the floor, his handles need to get much tighter to have effectiveness in college-though he does seem to be working on that. Additionally at his size (he seems to be less broad than Nze), I don’t expect him to be a low post scoring option in the sense of he works for position against other 4’s and 5’s gets them off balance and scores with footwork, though he will get garbage points. I think there’s going to be a lot of drive from the perimeter and score against smaller players, and if he can shoot he can maybe become a slower Jordan Caroline, and if he can’t hopefully someone like Devontae Cacok. Both of those are really, really good players.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,099
    The perimeter skills are there and he's such a hard worker, I'd find it hard to believe they don't come along. He's also still just going to be a senior and is 6'8, 240. I don't have any doubts about his body. His dad, himself and LJ have alluded he will have the freedom to play on the perimeter and wants to be a hybrid 3 more than a 5 so it'll be interesting to see where he develops. The biggest thing I don't question is his work ethic. I'd bet more on him developing into a really good college player/NBA player than others who maybe further along right now.

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $4,246
    I think he’s a top 100 guy as a guy who neither team probably wants to shoot the ball type guy, so don’t get me wrong there.

If he can shoot and handle the ball he could be much much better than just a top 100 guy. I have to see the perimeter skills play in games before I’m going to make judgements about his ability to use them though. We have a guy coming in who looks pretty decent shooting on tape that I’m pretty sure can’t shoot at all, so I just need to see it before I believe it.

9. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,099
    who you talking about Wilmoth? His shot is way further along than his

10. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $418
    I would guess he is referring to Harris.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $4,246
    Wilmouth yeah. And I think that’s likely, but I want to see some makes on volume before I get excited about it. Maybe they’re there, I honestly don’t know what his stats were.

12. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,512
    Hughes looks to me like a 4 in college ball, but I think it's smart that he's going to a school that has said he'll be utilized some at the 3. He'll need better perimeter skills to make any potential NBA jump. That being said, I think you're looking at the very least a real solid contributor at Butler.

13. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,907
    Thanks, Snoop. I was too lazy (or too busy) to put something like this together. You’re better than I.

2xDawg likes this.