Dan Dakich Show w/ Holtmann

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by DawgsfoLife, Oct 29, 2014.

1. DawgsfoLife

DawgsfoLife Member

Money:
    $6
    Thought I would start this thread. Second podcast posted for Holtmann. Some things to note from the broadcast regarding what Holtmann says: (1) Barlow is going to be a key to Dawgs success, (2) Woods need to work harder on the offensive boards, (3) Dawgs need to shoot the ball better (duh), (4) Kelan Martin is "wired to score" and will open up space for Jones.

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich-show/audio-demand/butlers-1st-exhibition-weekend

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,065
    Jones needs space and lanes to score because he can't score from beyond ten feet. I'd still drop off him on defense, over play him to go left and switch out a big on him at 12 feet.

3. DawgsfoLife

DawgsfoLife Member

Money:
    $6
  4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,339
  5. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,507
    Not looking for a pissing contest here, but you have posted this same comment a half a dozen times. IMO, what you need to do with Jones is crowd the **** out of him, put pressure on him, and try to get the ball out of his hands with either a turnover, bad pass or a bad shot. He's a pretty good ball handler but he's not great. Pressure him and force him to go where he doesn't want to go instead of letting him have "options". Of course he can't score beyond 8 feet. Is that why you would play off of him? You need to add up the points he does score and his assists and all of a sudden he's responsible for 16 to 20 points. Mostly because he has the room and is controlling the play. Playing off of him is playing into his hand. Without pressure he has the comfort and visibility to see the floor and move wherever he wants to go. Besides, he is probably going to play into your chest anyway, even if you play off of him. I would be more proactive and try to get him to do what I wanted him to do and where I wanted him to go.

6. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,277
    I'd like them to change the call time. Rick Venturi is on immediately after CH, so there is no time spent on Butler other than the call itself.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,065
    Thank you for responding so quickly to my October 31 post. :). I don't think it is easy to get the ball out of Jones' hands nor get physical with him. He is an elite defender and leader. Very intense and strong. Not looking for a pissing contest but for the seventh time I would let Jones dribble everywhere and anywhere outside of ten feet. Once he got to the paint I'd put my hands up. He's not going to shoot over many people. He either refuses to jump ala Andrew Smith or can't. He hasn't shown the ability to explode off the ground. What shots he does make are uncontested. The rest are prayers. I love Jones but his ability to score is limited. Does anyone know what his offensive ratings are?

Baddog-If my strategy and seventh consistent opinion pisses you off-sorry.

8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,339
  9. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,507
    What a jerk! Exactly why I started out my post ""don't want to get into a pissing contest here," since you have shown to be such a defensive little girl in your previous postings. I've got nothing more on the subject, especially considering the source.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,065
    Like others have said- don't read my posts. You could have easily let my post of six weeks ago alone. But perhaps you are that slow.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  11. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    100.9 OR with 23.2% usage, so about avaerage, up from 97.6/23.6% in 2013. His assist rate (32.0) is quite good which fully compensates for his poor effective FG% (40.3)

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,065
    Thanks. I thought it would be about 100. Not only does his assists compensate but also the other facets more than compensate.

13. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Coach Scott Adams ‏@CoachScottAdams 13h13 hours ago
    @dandakich Coach @ChrisHoltmann has done so much for my 10 y/o son who is fighting cancer. Butler got it right with him. Phenomenal person

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,065
    Great testimony.

15. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $722
    Clark Kellogg ‏@ClarkKelloggCBS 8h8 hours ago
    @dandakich @ButlerMBB Chris recruited both of our boys when at OU with @JohnGroce. Classy, Encouraging, Fair, Firm,Smart..that wins on&off

16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,065
    Me thinks there is a movement to support Holtmann to be the permanent HC.

17. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,985
  18. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $385
    Baddog is literally spot on with his post...if you let him take space up, that's when he does his damage. You can't simply "put your hands up" when he gets inside 10 feet, as he will muscle by you a little more until he is in range to put up the floater. Don't agree at all that most of his buckets come uncontested - he is always in traffic when he is shooting. If you crowd him, there is a good chance he will turn it over or throw up an even wilder shot than normal (which is hard to do, I know). In essence, if a team does not have shot blocking bigs at their disposal, Rose gets whatever shot he wants (albeit yes they are unorthodox) because he bullies his defender and muscles through him in the paint.

19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $113
    Sat next to this guy's son during the post game press conference and Holtmann specifically mentioned him singing the war son with the guys after the Northwestern win and how he was battling cancer, and his dad and younger sister were in there with him. Can't even imagine having to deal with that as a parent or as a kid. Hope he pulls through.

At this point in the year, I don't think there's any question that it's his job to lose assuming Miller doesn't come back. I don't know him personally, but during my interactions with him, he seems personable and genuine, and he's done some good things as a coach this year as well.

20. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    I would hope that it is his even if Miller DOES come back.