Danko's April 23rd Announcement

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Apr 7, 2022.

1. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $344
    The Hinkle lot is a vital parking resource throughout the school year. The HRC, Hinkle, the Sellick Bowl, commuter students, buses, visitors, contractors, and AV residents all depend on it daily. Only another parking garage could replace that huge lot, and that probably isn’t happening.

Tybuhoops likes this.
  2. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $634
    When I'm thinking of getting rid of asphalt in front of Hinkle, I'm specifically thinking of this lot. That's about 240 spots, give or take. When I was at Butler that was solely for commuters, not AV residents. I lived in AV building B, and most of the time I could easily park directly in front of my building. The school hated that AV residents parked there and tried to switch, although it didn't really take. In that picture, I'd guess that everyone there was a commuter. That side road and probably a strip of road in front of Hinkle would need to remain of course, but there's more than enough spots by AV for commuters, AV residents if they are still allowed to park there, and others. I don't think those spots are used enough, especially like what people have been saying, that Hinkle and AV and the Northside of campus are no longer consider a far walk (about 12 minutes from AV to Jordan Hall in the morning for me when I was a junior).

Attached Files:

bmradio99 likes this.
  3. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $344
    Parking Services would strongly disagree with your perception. The lot directly in front of Hinkle is vital space, especially for the HRC, and disabled parking for it and Hinkle. As parking in the middle of campus continues to diminish, this space will always be needed. Clowes Hall also heavily depends on this lot for event overflow. And yes, the far east end has become dedicated AV parking except for home basketball games.

4. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,009
    And depending on what happens with the International School vacating their dedicated parking spaces,…

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $634
    I can't say for sure if it's feasible, but if Danko is talking about a green space in front of Hinkle, that would have to be it. With a road leading up to it most likely staying, some handicap parking can remain. I can't imagine the HRC parking is too important though, besides for workers, I'd guess most people are walking from their on campus or off campus housing or from a different parking lot. If handicap parking remains and stays ADA compliant, I can't imagine the walk from the AV lot is too much. Even if it is dedicated AV parking, I couldn't imagine it's more than 100 or so cars max (A and B building), in a lot that looks to hold hundreds and hundreds. The parking garage is after my time at Butler but I'd guess that, even if it is flawed, they will want more and more people to use it, both for events at Clowes and Hinkle and for everyday academic stuff.

Also no idea what will happen with Ross, ISI, and other buildings that may be gone soon. As a student I hated parking but upon reflection that was pure laziness. Butler has great green space in the middle of campus now and adding more on the north side would help the cohesiveness of campus. If the university is spending money I'm all for more green spaces and refurbishing Holcomb Gardens.

joliebeth23, jal8908 and bmradio99 like this.
  6. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,404
    The garage is closer. Why is this a thing?
    We seriously need to step out of the mindset of a suburban strip mall and into that of a beautiful, walkable college campus.
    Surface parking mere steps from your destination serves those who want to leave quickly, not those who want to arrive quickly.
    Geoffrey Bannister's vision was to take Butler from a commuter campus to a growing residential campus. Bobby Fong wanted athletics to be the "front porch to our university." Both of these visions can continue to thrive by making campus a beautiful destination for people and not just an easy way to park.

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,413
    As a botany fan myself would LOVE to see more effort out into naturally beatifying the campus.

I’ve always thought the area around Butler is so freaking pretty this time of year, but have felt like you have to go off campus if you want flowers. There was a house near broad ripple that had a beautiful tulip garden that I used to go out of my way to stop by.

Would be fun as hell to have that on campus. They should put in some blueberry shrubs and call it Blue’s Berry Patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerProf and bmradio99 like this.
  8. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $344
    Also, don’t forget that Athletics charges heavily for event parking in front of Hinkle. That is their “green $ space” and it’s doubtful they’re giving up on those extra tens of thousands. Unless they get their own garage.

9. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,576
    I've been trying to work out the reasoning behind this kind of sentiment, not specific to this poster.

Is it the idea that Coach Jordan settled for his ACs because of the salary range he had to work with, and he would have had different ones if he had more resources? I don't think paying LVJ more would have improved Butler's movement on offense.

10. m4795

m4795 Member

Money:
    $156
    Hard to say for sure, but my guess is if we had offered a Big East competitive salary pool for assistant coaches Jeff Meyer and then David Ragland would have been the only two hired on staff. How much difference would that have made? LaVall was 59-40 with Meyer and 24-29 without him.

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,668
    I'm thinking Kelan & Kamar had more to do with that than Meyer.

12. m4795

m4795 Member

Money:
    $156
    I don't totally disagree, but Kelan and Kamar benefited from working with good assistant coaches. If we had a staff of three average to above average assistant coaches how much better would the current players be? I expect these guy to take huge leaps forward during the season as they work with improved coaching.

ButlerProf and bumba like this.
  13. ButlerProf

Money:
    $1,009
    “We seriously need to step out of the mindset of a suburban strip mall and into that of a beautiful, walkable college campus.”
    Hallelujah!!

“Geoffrey Bannister's vision was to take Butler from a commuter campus to a growing residential campus.”
    Truth!

“Bobby Fong wanted athletics to be the "front porch to our university."

It’s true Bobby spoke of this. He certainly recognized the value after the b2b final fours and always sought to balance academics & athletics.

Actually, Bobby was the consummate academician with earnest devotion to being liberally educated + building community on campus & most importantly Butler’s relationship with BTNA & greater Indianapolis. Bobby cared deeply about being a good neighbor. My favorite ethos of his was/is the mission of a Butler education to prepare graduates to not only make a living, but to make a life.

“Both of these visions can continue to thrive by making campus a beautiful destination for people and not just an easy way to park.”

Yes!

joliebeth23, shoeevv, #60 and 2 others like this.
  14. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,235
    Will sound contrarian, but spaces that need to serve a unique function shouldn’t be forced into uses that aren’t compatible with their most valued use. As noted, there are opportunities for enhanced green spaces all around campus (totally agree that Holcomb Garden is a gem waiting to be polished)—spaces that are highly walkable and not near buildings that draw thousands of people to campus and serve as overflow parking for other areas. The campus has considerably more green space than it did just 30 years ago.

15. ButlerProf

Money:
    $1,009
    “The campus has considerably more green space than it did just 30 years ago.”

Minus the recent acquisition of CTS/South Campus that’s impossible. Lost green space in the past 30: HRC, AV, Fairbanks, Business, Schrott, parking garage ++, Fairbanks, Irvington, ResCo, parking b/t Lilly Hall & COPHS, pharmacy addition, new science building, West Campus, … I’m probably leaving something out.

16. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $568
    Maybe the green space will somehow incorporate the international school once it leaves in a few weeks.

bmradio99 likes this.
  17. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $990
    Raze ISI and put up a garage. Replace 3/4 of Hinkle lot with green space.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  18. boalsdawg

boalsdawg Member

Here here "thevinrod"! But would the neighborhood have some kind of jurisdiction over a structure that tall?

Think of how cool it would be to tailgate for a Saturday afternoon game, right in front of Hinkle. Butler could really make it a one of a kind experience. Homecoming football tailgates are great, I wonder why they have never tried to replicate it with basketball games?

There are so many interesting things they could do with that space instead of it being a parking lot.

19. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,671
    Much colder with a lot more snow & ice.

20. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,788
    Does Butler really need another parking garage? There’s street parking available literally everywhere around campus.

Not sure why people in the Midwest are so committed to car culture…you don’t always have to park within a block of where you’re going. Parking garages are ugly and are a waste of funds imo.

ButlerProf and bmradio99 like this.