Darius Thompson 2.0 - Graduate Transfer

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 21, 2017.

1. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,732
    Are we really already starting the annual "we're not doing enough on the recruiting trail" pessimism?

There are three names the staff focused on for the PG spot... Thompson, Smith, and Benson. We have gotten all three to schedule visits albeit Smith never made it to campus. I think we're doing okay.

I'd love to add Thompson, but imo, we'll be fine heading into '17-18 without him too.

Thompson is not really talked about much on the interwebs in general. I haven't heard or read of him making any other visits other than to VCU before he came to Butler.

2. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $714
    I rather not waste a scholarship, sure we will be fine without getting someone. But our expectations should be more than just fine. No matter what we should find someone that can fit in a role to make us better. Thompson would make us better.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,146
    Where is the pessimism, and who thinks Butler isn't doing OK? I think (and hope) we end up with DT. I was simply pointing out how quiet things have been here. He visited and then...nothing, good or bad. No one has reported that he's set up additional visits and he hasn't tipped his hand on where he's leaning. It's just radio silence. Again, my thinking is that he'll pop for us soon, possibly right before the Benson visit. But who knows. It's just really quiet and really slow.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,199
    There are now well over 500 announced transfers. My guess is some like Darius are waiting to see what else opens up. For me it would be a no brainer knowing I'd be starting for a top 30 program while getting a quality experience and education and getting an all expensed vacation to Spain.

5. mwall787

mwall787 Active Member

Money:
    $120
    Virginia transfer Darius Thompson is expected to commit to Western Kentucky. Remember, the smart money is on Rick Stansbury in recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,199
    Western Kentucky is going to be very very good.

7. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $75
    Maybe. He can recruit, but it doesn't matter if you can't coach. Not to mention, if all of those guys can play together or if some leave early. I'll believe it when I see it.

UDDawg likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,199
    He did well as a HC at Miss State. Has the 8th best recruiting class coming in.

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $176
    Yeah - when Butler's coaching staff seemed to suddenly back off him, something was obviously up. Now at least we likely know what that was.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,199
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,146
    Not sure I follow...money?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,068
    I think this comment is referring to Aaron Thompson. If my memory's still intact, both were being recruited for the final scholarship at the same time.

13. Irishdawg

Money:
    $176
    No it wasn't referring to Aaron Thompson, although if you look back to page 4 of Aaron's thread you can see that something came up to where Butler's coaches told Darius to take a hike and he was no longer being recruited by Butler, and that was prior to Aaron Thompson leaving campus. Now maybe the coaching staff just felt that good about where they were with Aaron Thompson, but he did still take his visit to VCU, and considering both Butler and seemingly VCU backed off Darius when both teams could have used his services on the court, something's definitely unusual about that.

I have a tough time believing its academics since he was able to make it at Virginia for 3 years and had already graduated, so why at the end did he wind up getting recruited by only WKU and East Tennessee State? Purely my opinion, but my guess is that the coaching staff found something unsavory going on behind the scenes and didn't want any part of it. That's pretty much also the only way someone would be able to amass the kind of talent they have coming in at WKU, so despite Darius' dad knowing Rick Stansbury, I have a tough time believing the Butler coaches would tell him they were moving on regardless unless something was up. Maybe not money, but something about this doesn't smell right in my opinion.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,199
    I know squat about Stansbury or Darius. Stansbury was fairly successful as a HC at Miss State then retired for family reasons and eventually did a great job as an AC at A&M where he recruited some big time talent but only stayed 2-3 years. There could be something that follows Stansbury or Darius was looking for something that didn't fit Butler.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,242
    Don't know the answer & good luck to both of them, but still feel confident we signed the better Thompson.

16. Irishdawg

Money:
    $176
    Absolutely in the long term in my opinion and we'll see what happens this season - really excited to see what Aaron Thompson can bring to the table.

bumba likes this.
  17. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $75
    Stansbury could always recruit. Look at how far his teams advanced in the tournament. Maybe it's just me, but that is always more important than the ranking of recruiting classes.

I also believe the coaching staff got it right again. I'm very excited for Aaron to come on board.

18. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,776
    I fully believe Stansbury is dirty, but I'm pretty sure he had no role in why Butler or VCU backed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app