David Caraher - 2017 Forward (Houston Baptist)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Aug 26, 2014.

1. DAWGfanatic10

DAWGfanatic10 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I find these two assessments QUITE interesting. At the time of his decommitment, before things were said about Butler dropping his offer, there were multiple people who assumed that he had simply blown up and was getting talked to by the "blue bloods" such as Duke or UNC etc and so he wanted to enjoy that attention and pursue "bigger and better" options.
    In addition to this, there were dozens of tweets posted on this board alone that said how great Caraher was and how Butler had gotten a huge steal to lock him up already. To my knowledge, butlerfan was the only one to say anything remotely negative about him and that was only to say that he "struggled stat wise" in one game but that he had played very well in the previous game. And as for the Pangos camp, you at the time said this...

Mr. x, I agree with you about the rankings not being the true "top 75" player that people said, but as has been said many times before, if a sophomore commits, evaluators stop watching him and he ultimately drops in the rankings. I also watched him in the Phenom 80 camp in NC and thought his game looked excellent for being a 6-5 or 6-6 wing who was only a sophomore. Every review of that camp was in absolute agreement that he was a true basketball player and would thrive at Butler.

I guess I'm just interested if this is just some negative light being shed on him bc hes no longer going to BU? Or do you actually believe that his game was never that good, but wanted to look at it positively bc he was going to BU? Thanks!

2. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $437
    Doesn't seem to be case of him blowing up otherwise we would of heard more schools be interested in him by now. Jared says it was Butler's decision to move on from him and I trust his sources. Also seems like Caraher's options have gotten worse since only mid major schools that seem interested based on twitter are Princeton and Richmond.

To answer this question, honestly it's a combination of both. I still think he has the potential to be good but I do believe in general he was being overrated by the board. He was putting up some monster numbers in high school so when he struggled shooting in top 80 camps I gave him benefit of doubt that it was just a bad weekend but following him in AAU his numbers have been inconsistent all throughout. When it's all said and done I'm guessing Caraher turns into a fringe top 100-150 player which isn't a bust by any means, I just don't think he's the same caliber of player as a Dunham or G-Time at this point as others believe.

3. DAWGfanatic10

DAWGfanatic10 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I agree that this isn't what happened, but that was more to point out that people believed this was a possibility/probability given his talent/recent play. I don't think I'm going out on a huge limb here to agree that this is not what happened but that it is also possible that other HM schools are staying away to let whatever happened with him that made BU withdraw their offer blow over and see what happens next with him? Or do you anticipate that he will truly stay MM? Assuming that he didn't break the law, I would think his recruitment would end up being HM, just my opinion tho.

Thanks for the insight, I enjoy hearing WHY people have their opinions along with what they are, much appreciated!

4. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    Thanks for catching me up.....You could say I was pretty surprised to hear about the decommit

5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    I'll probably get yelled at for bringing him up, but Caraher is switching high schools...

David Caraher
    ‏@CaraherDavid30
    Excited to announce that I will attend Wesleyan Christian Academy for my Junior year of high school!

6. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $227
    No, it was positive and I'm happy for the kid and hope all goes well for him.

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    Probably a good move for him as it can't hurt playing with Giles and getting exposure like he will. I can think of a few WC players that have went to UNC. Pinson most recently. No idea where Giles is leaning. NCJon might know. Maybe Caraher eventually lands at UNC and that is the goal....maybe that is the grand plan and Butler was just a little stop along the way. Who knows....it will be interesting to see where he ends up though and how he is evaluated. 2017 is loaded around Indiana and the Midwest. Chris isn't losing sleep over this one IMO.

8. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    Didn't realize that's where Harry Giles goes. That's pretty legit.

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
    Giles transferred to Oak Hill

We have an in there! We should recruit him!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    I have no idea which way Giles is leaning. But he announced today that he's not returning to Wesleyan Christian. He's going to Oak Hill next year.

I'm always a little wary of WCA. I've known people whose kids went there and if you are a High Point resident it is an excellent, if not better, alternative to the public schools. But they've also gotten pretty heavy into recruiting high school basketball players, and that makes me uneasy. As much as I love the sport, I really don't like kids bouncing from one high school to another just for sports.

If UNC is his goal, he'd as much notice playing for Chapel Hill High as he will playing at Wesleyan. And unless the family is moving to High Point, that's a hell of a commute everyday.

11. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109
    I don't know what impact it had, if any, but Butler was fully aware he was switching high schools before the decommitment. Switching high school teams and AAU teams in the same month is certainly a red flag.

12. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
  13. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,537
  14. TheWild5

TheWild5 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Providence, UNC, Princeton interest

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    Scott Anderson ‏@SAndersonNOB Aug 29
    Also, former Butler commit, David Caraher ( Chapel Hill, NC) (2017), will be on an unofficial visit at Longwood University tomorrow.

--------

Never saw him in AAU, he got some good reports from analysts, but if he's taking visits to places like Longwood, then his STOCK has fallen dramatically after summer AAU.

16. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $437
    He's also taken unofficial visits to UNC and Wake Forest in the past month. Still not sure if he's high major material yet but he's definitely going to end up somewhere better than Longwood. Out of schools interested in him right now I'm still guessing he ends up at Princeton or Richmond with Wake Forest being a favorite if they offer.

Side note: new report by Rick's site has new interest from Georgetown and Marquette. Still got some good BE schools sniffing around between them and Providence.

17. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,350
    That's an interesting story and sadly one that we'll never get the full story on. At the end of the day, I think both parties will be better for it.

18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,625
  19. TheWild5

TheWild5 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I wonder if the rest of the article clarifies that? That piece just makes it seem like he wanted to try and go more blue blood.....

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    Future150.com ‏@Future150 Sep 10
    After being evaluated by Providence & Rutgers yesterday, 2017 G/F David Caraher (NC) will have Davidson & Yale in to see him today.