DePaul Blue Demons (3-7, 1-7) at Butler Bulldogs (5-10, 4-8), Saturday, 2/6, 12:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 3, 2021.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,362
    SJU is on fiya. We're gonna have to play much better come Tuesday than we did today. Getting down big early to them, as Providence can tell you, ain't a good idea. Will be an interesting matchup for sure. I'd play them with the smaller lineup mostly. More ball handlers and better offense. Gimme Bo, Harris, Bolden, AT, Nze.

2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,922
    NM. I just saw it on TV. SMH on him getting his shot blocked and foullong afterward. God forbid he actually put the ball on the floor and drive...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,572
    So figuratively speaking, let's just say we win 4 of our next 6 games and 2 in the conference tourny. That would put us at 12-13 (11-11). Do you think that gets us in? I would think if one of those wins is against Nova then it probably would.

We're so much better with Hodges and with Nze playing the way he is. I hope to God that when we play teams with dominant big men that we don't try to play through the post anymore. Spread the floor, let AT drive and either finish or kick it out to an open shooter. When AT is on the bench, do the same thing, but with Hodges in a Rose Jones role.

4. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,362
    We'd have to get on quite the roll to even gain consideration for anything postseason. And I just don't see it. Yes we won yesterday but we didn't play that well and DePauls is simply awful. If we somehow take down SJU Tuesday, then we can maybe start up a discussion about a possible NIT bid.

I do agree though adding Hodges turned this roster on its head, allowing for more favorable match ups where at times we aren't at a disadvantage. If we had him all year we'd be having a more serious discussion about the post season.

Saying that, all of the next 3 games are winnable. Hell two of them (Marquette, Gtown) should be wins. And with Hodges we'll match up much better against SJU than without. The other three scheduled though, are not. So...I think we finish with 7 or 8 big east wins, which for what we've gone through, ain't half bad. But I don't see a postseason unless we run the BET.

5. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,186
    And I thought I was an optimist! haha

(just messing with you)

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,170
    Like the thinking here, but probably a stretch?

7. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,995
    I think it would likely take an 11-9 BE finish to even get in the NCAA tournament conversation for a couple of reasons. First, the BE is not as strong top to bottom as it’s been in recent seasons so I don’t think finishing 10-10 will be good enough. Secondly, nothing about our 3 non-conference games will help us. WMU & SIU are 3-7 & 2-7 in their conferences respectively. We barely beat WMU & lost to SIU both at home. I’m just hoping for more consistent & improved play these final 7 games with a few more wins along the way to give the team more confidence, improve morale, & make us feel a little better about the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

seadawg and willisbrown like this.
  8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,303
    A strong finish might get us a low seed in the NIT - which is worth doing for the experience it brings. I think I read somewhere that the NIT is on, although nothing is for certain this year.

bmradio99, BURph92 and willisbrown like this.
  9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,853
    What would make this really interesting would be sneaking in a home non-con game during a little break in BE action.

10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,186
    St. John's did it against Utah Valley

11. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,853
    If a decent opponent pops up, we’ll do this too.

12. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,362
    Did the K State game every get "cancelled"...last I heard it was postponed. They're terrible and we could try to sneak that in.

I would love to see one more non con against a top 150ish team at least.

ButlerNut likes this.
  13. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,177
    Gonzaga had games canceled on Sat and now Thursday. Fly out there. Get murdered. But good experience.

14. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,379
    This aged... poorly. haha

pjohnsto2003 and 2xDawg like this.
  15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,549
    I thought the same thing each time Nze hit a free throw, let alone the time. Thank you for calling it out.

ButlerNut likes this.
  16. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    True, certain folks were predicting 3 or 4 wins all season.

godogs91 and 2xDawg like this.
  17. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $693
    When I say “middle”, I mean THE LANE. No one can help if you get beat down the lane. Driver can kick it out for open 3s. Post can’t leave his man to come up and help. Much easier to help on the baseline, TRAP, rotate, etc

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    Um this is the opposite of how basketball is generally coached...All your help is in the middle of the lane...

dawgs2014 likes this.
  19. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $693
    Not in Indiana HS coaching circles. The HUNDREDS of clinics I attended show drills to FORCE dribblers to the baseline. DENY ball reversal. Reduce the area you have to cover. YES! Your help defenders are in the middle but that is to shorten the distance to rotate to the ball. I think we’re confusing the drive from the wing and the drive from the top. If you get beat on top and he drives it down the lane, your help defenders are in trouble. Also! A coach will adjust their philosophy if they have a rim protector.

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,313
    By forcing them to the baseline it means don’t get beat baseline-not funnel to the baseline. The baseline can be a trapping mechanism, which is useful for for secondary defenders on baseline drivers and in the short corner.

For baseline drivers

A) the baseline is an extra defender

B) If you get beat baseline you don’t have help.

In my 3 years experience, we did slightly change our emphasis from using the baseline to shut off drives to using it to redirect people to the middle, but there was never a point where we wanted to be *beaten* baseline versus middle Bc there’s no help baseline.

This principle is reinforced by how post defense is played. When the ball goes to the corner you shift to low side on your man in the post so that if they catch it, they have to finish through a help defender.

I agree that being beaten from the top on a drive is the most vulnerable place to be beaten from, which is why a lot of P&r starts there.

I do think a possible exception here is that in certain situations with certain players, it may be better to get beaten baseline if it forces them to their weak hand, but that’s very very advanced stuff.

Also-there are definitely schemes where there isn’t an emphasis on “forcing” people other way-as I alluded to earlier.

This is good basketball talk.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    godogs91, ButlerNut and estar20dawg like this.