DePaul Blue Demons (3-7, 1-7) at Butler Bulldogs (5-10, 4-8), Saturday, 2/6, 12:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 3, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,532
    It's like this is a basketball forum again...

#60, godogs91 and dawgs2014 like this.
  2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,532
    Your initial post referred to "middle" and for many of us, that means coming from the wing. That's why I responded with my response. I don't know how you would ever be asked to defend the baseline if your opponent is driving from the top. Getting beat from the top of the key is very hard to stop, especially in a spread formation. Look what AT did to SJU all night.

Not sure if "we're" confusing drive from wing with drive from the top. But thank you for clarifying. And it is good to talk basketball fundamentals again

godogs91 likes this.
  3. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $743
    Yeah, I didn’t explain it very well initially. Sorry

godogs91 and ButlerNut like this.
  4. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $278
    Texas Tech and Baylor both have No-Middle Defense aka Force Baseline schemes. This style was once was very popular in Indiana because early Bob Knight teams were successful and every coach wanted to be him....motion offense ubiquity is also a result of Knight-ism. I'm not sure if all of my coaches were assholes organically or because of Knight, but his influence was immeasurable. Here is a No-Middle video.

Butler does not use this scheme. I think some of you are being reductive. There is not one way to guard. A rule like "never get beat baseline" is scheme dependent and clearly not what Butler is prioritizing. No Baseline is a Pack Line defense rule.

ButlerProf and estar20dawg like this.
  5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,538
    It wasn't meant as a callout or in any disrespect. In the past, I've been guilty of rage posting during a game and now I don't get to watch many games live. So, I find it hysterical to read posts that either turn out to be prophetic or quite the opposite.