Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,270
    This is so laughable it's incredible.

Some schools in the 2018-19 season that did not use all 13 scholarships:
    Duke (12)
    Gonzaga (11)
    Tennessee (12)
    Kentucky (10)
    Michigan (12)
    Texas Tech (11)
    Houston (12)
    LSU (12)
    Purdue (12)

... and that's the point at which I got tired of going through the top 25.

BTW, UNC would have been on the list, but Nas Little became available late and Michigan State would have been but they gave their 13th scholarship to two-year walk-on.

2. NCJon

Money:
    $6,270
    If a difference maker is available, absolutely: go for it. That wasn't my point at all.

But I think a sign of competence - something you and others have been harping on that you want to see - is a willingness to pass on a player who either doesn't have the skill set Butler needs or whose attitude/approach is going to be a detriment despite having those skills.

The overwhelming majority of those 90 uncommitted players who were graded at 85 or higher (presumably as high school seniors?) are going down a level, not up.

There are a lot of players available and a small subset of those would fill needs Butler has, but the competition for those particular players is likely to be skewed heavily in the player's favor - as we're seeing with Smits - and so Butler may not get any of them. I'm OK with that because I don't think there's anybody on the transfer market who Butler can't live without. Doesn't mean there aren't some that I would love to have.

bumba and seadawg like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    I want both filled obviously, I've made that clear. I wish there was a big out there to fill a spot so JMM can be redshirted. As things are now, I don't think he can be. You're going to need a third big even if it's "just in case". Smits wasn't mind blowing but he fills that void. With that ship looking to be at sea, there really isn't much else to choose from out there but maybe a stretch 4 or true PF can be had. There are some of those that I think fit this squad and badly help the front court depth. Another season of McD exclusively at the 4 is another season where many are going to be upset with where this team is. I think all of us, no matter our disagreements, do not want another year of McD as the starting and getting most of the minutes at 4.

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,775
    I get that he didn't commit immediately after the visit, but it's been reported that we're among his final 3 and that he'll decide after taking all the visits.
    Why are we talking like we know he's not coming here?

5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    In Butler's case not using both scholarship is probably not a good idea, this team needs a roster refresh.

willisbrown likes this.
  6. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,706
    It's nothing more than my opinion from things I've heard here and there, but, I used the analogy it was like two friends hooking up then afterwards, realizing they were better off as friends. I think it was a wishy washy...easy target, easy visit for him type of deal and it made sense to each party in the moment, but they may just not be all that hot for each other. Butler is kind of shoulder shrugging about him, take it or leave it type of attitude, and he's exploring his other options at schools he sees as maybe a better fit, that Butler is always there if he wants. And I do not believe the staff was ever "all in" on him. They wanted him because it conveniently fit a need, but if he doesn't come, they aren't going to be heart broken or see it as a big blow to anything. JMO.

7. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Member

Money:
    $126
    All of those teams didn’t use their last scholarship because they didn’t NEED to use it. They had depth at every position and only used a rotation of about 7 players most of the time because their starters were that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

willisbrown likes this.
  8. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    What percentage of teams 50-100 don't have all 13 scholarships filled? Maybe it's lower than one would think, but pointing at Duke, Gonzaga and Kentucky and saying, "Look, it doesn't have to be done" is misleading. Butler going into the 2019-20 season is not in the same position as the teams listed in NCJon's post. Not even close.

I'm not contending there isn't an argument for pocketing the scholarship. NCJon saying, "I am kind of tired of Butler taking on projects that never work out" resonated with me. I just don't think because teams that finished in the Top 15 of this year's final poll did it this past season, it's perfectly fine for Butler to do it this upcoming season.

NCJon and shoeevv like this.
  9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    only one I can think of really was Luke Maye from NC came out of nowhere as well as Rui Hachimora kind of developed into a lottery pick as well as Culver from TT

10. NCJon

Money:
    $6,270
    I think leaving a scholarship or two open is a much more common practice across college basketball than some people on this board want to admit. Most teams aren't going much past a 9 man rotation, anyway, which still leaves room for a couple of kids to be on a redshirt either due to transfer or for development.

My quick skim of Big East rosters this past season, it looks like Villanova (12), Seton Hall (12), Xavier (11), Creighton (12), Providence (12) and DePaul (12) all had at least one open. I don't feel like cruising through any other conferences tonight.

My whole point is that Butler should only use the newly open scholarships if a player who is a good fit is available. My sense of the attitude around here is that if the scholarships are unused that is in and of itself a failure. I disagree with that.

11. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Butler needs to fill those two scholarships!

12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,528
    The "fit" is the most important consideration.

estar20dawg and NCJon like this.
  13. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    I still have 4 years of eligibility, and am immediately available.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba, NCJon and DawgsMD like this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,706
    I don't want Smits>>>Golden in any world, but I wouldn't mind Smits or some plug and play, few minute big to help the depth up front with this roster. In all honesty, we don't know what we have in Hastings, we know we don't like McD and Tucker guarding 4s...so it may seem people want Smits, but I think people just want something decent that can give 7-10 minutes and a couple rebounds here and there. Nothing like "get Smits and he's our man in the middle!" At least not from me, I'm pro Nze-Golden at the 4-5. I like the idea of a bench piece to spell them, but definitely those two starting.

15. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,237
    SpartanDawgs likes this.
  16. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,706
    Well, Lavall can't get any one else to visit his bonfire so I guess he's inviting Smits twice.

17. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    Almost positive Smits will be a bulldog. Tune in late next week

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac and Hinkle Magic2 like this.
  18. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I'm starting to think potentially getting Smits is going to be a lose-lose scenario for some on this board.

We'll either hear:

If he accepts-

1) Great, we have a mid major talent as center.

Or

If he declines-

2) LaVall is so bad, he can't even even recruit a MVC center.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,706
    I think when people get over their initial feelings on Smits they'll see although flawed, he does fill a short term need for this squad. He allows us to play bigger at times and clock some minutes to get the bigs rest. If he comes, I think in the end most will see he's simply a plug and play big to help with the rotation. Not going to win or lose any games for us.

I'm hoping that's the case at least. I mean worst case he gives 7-10 minutes at a position of need. JMM gets his red shirt and we're all better off for it. Best case he comes in and gives adequate minutes in the middle.

bwesson15, Sidd Finch and mwall787 like this.
  20. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Think this is good news. Improves next year's frontcourt depth (it wouldn't be shocking if Smits even started), while keeping a scholarship open a year from now. Plus, we still have another scholarship to play around with this year.