Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,237
    Lets remember Val offered Jaxson Hayes before about anyone else. He’s got an eye for talent. Maybe he sees some other way to utilize Smits that Valpo didn’t. I’m skeptical but Val knows more than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

HoosierDawg likes this.
  2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    Butler really needs to add a veteran big man, and while I have the same concerns with Smits as I did with Brunk, the bottom line is he would fill that need if he commits.

It’s easy to get caught up in fantasizing about some of the big names out there and wanting to take a shot at them. But if Butler could get Smits to commit early it could be a smart play. Get him now before most of the other schools miss on their home run swings and start turning to the backup options.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  3. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    You just now came to that conclusion? ;)

joliebeth23 likes this.
  4. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $221
    http://barttorvik.com/transfercast.php?team=Butler&run=1&player=Derrik+Smits;Valparaiso

Bingo at least one computer ranking thinks answer to this is undoubtedly yes (for reference ranks Butler as slightly better with Smits than Nate Sistina and about same if added Jahaad Proctor individually). With how roster is currently set up, Smits is best realistic add for team.

Jared Grubbs likes this.
  5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    And for those who are going to play the Brunk vs. Smits comparison game, Butler is projected 80th with Brunk and without Smits, and 51st with Smits and no Brunk.

It's not close.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    This will be the thought of many fans...not saying it's right, just saying it's what it will be:

Butler chased off Brunk, Butler immediately went after Smits as soon as Brunk said bye bye, wait a sec, Brunk and Smits play the same damn position...hmmmmm, let's compare the two.

And it'll go round and round in a pointless discussion, but it will be a discussion none the less. I could care less about either to be honest. Smits or Brunk, shrug. But that comparison will be made aplenty.

7. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $221
    FYI I don't know why but it's erroring out with Brunk on transfercast (information isn't loading up with him like other players), but for reference Butler was 53 in that ranking system before Brunk transferred so really more of lateral.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Smits is a perfect replacement for Fowler and Brunk. That’s why he’s a zero sum game. We don’t improve by adding him and we aren’t any worse off. Hopefully one day we will attract bigs that are athletic and can help us move up in the BE. This one won’t move us up but maybe we need a place holder.

Dewars12 likes this.
  9. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    Maybe Smits can be our Teske? I tend to think that you need 1 of your 4 and 5 to be a rim protector/rebounder and one to be a scorer. However, the faceup or jump shooting big is just more efficient in today’s game.

10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Right and he’s only here for a year

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bumba likes this.
  11. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,608
    Valpo was terrible this year and he could have just been the best option on a bad team. Smits stagnated their offense and was more about himself than the team. I think he even lost playing time to their other center Sorolla as the season went along. Maybe Valpo didnt utilize him correctly, I dont know, but I'm still hard passing on him.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg likes this.
  12. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,739
    The more I think about it, I don't give a damn about Smits. Take it or leave it. I just want some traction on all these excellent guards out there.

butlerdude05 and bumba like this.
  13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    Absolutely. You’ve got a solid rotation and now you can go out and get whoever you want at whatever position you want. Immediately eligible or not it doesn’t matter. Class doesn’t matter. And if you miss on everyone you want then pocket the scholarship in case something else pops up.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Agree, this is an interesting takeaway. I still expect Golden to get plenty of minutes at the 5 and Smits gives JMM a year to redshirt. JMM can practice against college level talent while hitting the weights. It's not a question of Brunk anymore. It's Smits vs. JMM on the court for 2019-2020.

In LJ we trust. The other open scholie is probably more important. We need another scorer. Who are we going to sign in the backcourt that can distribute and score? I'd like to see Kamar play more minutes off the ball next season if possible.

15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,241
    Yeah, you can't add players back to their team after they've decided to transfer... I believe Butler was 45th prior to Brunk moving to the transfer portal... but in the words of Shelvin, "Think positive"

Mr X and bumba like this.
  16. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,174
    Again, I think Smits' greatest benefit won't be his production, which will probably be fine, but the fact that Nze can focus on the 4 and we can stop running Sean and Tucker at the 4.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Admittedly I hadn't looked at what they were ranked before Brunk transferred, but it's letting me add Brunk as a transfer and it shows Butler as 81 without and 80 with; 81 without Smits and 51 with.

18. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Should be a step up from Brunk. Hopefully the staff offers and can seal the deal. I think you see a guard grad transfer too and then they pocket another schollie for 2020 (recent Harris offer indicates this).

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,739
    I'd think if we throw everything we have at the 5-7 real difference makers at guard that are out there, we'd land one. There are so many to choose from that can score and distribute. Give me one of those and anyone else, I'm happy. My wants are Keeling, Petty, Lewis, Moore, Proctor, Washington and Jenkins. I'd think out of that portal we could land one if we go hard after them.

I also want to kick the tires on Stone and I wanted to on Giddens but with Smits probably in tow that's a wish and nothing more.

20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,241
    What exactly do you think we have to throw??? Did we hire Rick Stansbury or Book Richardson, while I was on vacation, to throw bags of cash at ppl???

WestLoopDog and Sidd Finch like this.