Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,017
    Also, with the recruitment/commitment of Smits, I just cannot imagine, even LaVall and his love for the 4 out one in thing...Even he isn't going to go 3 deep at the 5...he has 3 toys to play with down low now, he'll do a more 4/5 rotation with them instead of having one out of them only getting a spot minute here and there, and I can promise Nze will start and Smits didn't sign up here because he was told he'd maybe on a good day get 5 minutes of run. We'll have more of a 4/5 look. And Nze will do a fine job at the 4 against BE 4s.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    Yep you are

3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $186
    Those two, McD and Tucker will have to be on the court together plenty. If not we will be too easy to defend at the 3. Who else on this team can shoot the 3 ball with consistency? I am fine with Kamar adding volume 3 pointers as long as they are open look opportunities and reduce the final 5 second shot clock bombs. If our scheme takes us away from those occurrences, I believe his percentage could be mid 30's.
    The shortage of true 3 point shooters is why I keep saying we need a transfer guard for this season that can shoot the 3 ball. Whether they are a 1 or 2 doesn't matter for 1 season.

4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,890
    Well Battle won't be shy if/when he's in there. He is an absolute microwave and hasn't seen a shot he doesn't like.

ButlerBoyz and willisbrown like this.
  5. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $186
    I am hoping to see that from Battle. I prefer a proven entity for consistency over counting on a freshman.

6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,890
    Can't be less consistent than PJ. At worse he's PJ this year. At best he's an absolute stud

Dunhamfor3 and willisbrown like this.
  7. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $787
    Tucker was better as a 6th man than starter last season, so I still think McDermott has the edge based on seniority.

8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,919
    PJ was the 6th man of the year in the Big East, so I think we may need to temper our expectations. Or at least give Paulie more credit.

#60, Shimmy and Insane Dawg like this.
  9. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,017
    He'll be better than PJ eventually, much better. But, I think for this year as a guy off the bench that could be a good comparison...a bigger comparison with better hair though. I think we're going to love him coming in and lighting it up.

estar20dawg likes this.
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,017
    I think we'll see plenty of run with them together as well. I just hope that starting off we go with the true 4/5 look...now if both start you won't hear me complain because I want Tucker on the court 30+ minutes. However that needs to happen, make it happen. But I do think it's a Smits/Nze frontcourt to begin. If not it's Nze/Tucker/McD.

11. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,820
    Tucker clearly has more potential. If we're going to be good, he needs to leap McD.

12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,142
    So is it safe to say now that no one else from Butler is transferring? Just Brunk & JGB.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    There are over 700 announced transfers and new ones every day. That is over fifty teams . Guess we could see more

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,017
    I would say that's probably it. Everything has been rather quiet on that front so I'm guessing we roll into 2019-2020 with an 11 man active roster and JMM red shirting.

Baldwin, Thompson, Tucker, McD, Nze, Golden, Battle, Hastings, Smits, David, Baddely...JMM to red shirt.

15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    No more BU transfers. Nze/Smits/Golden splitting time at the 5. No immediately eligible transfers coming in. They feel good about Battle getting minutes early. Staff out looking at 2020’s this week. All I got:)

Alcohol101, peeps112, Shimmy and 5 others like this.
  16. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $98
    Sounds very realistic.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,017
    God I hope he takes advantage and plays bigger this year now that he has three legitimate bigs to rotate. Splitting 5 time 3 ways is simply stubborn, nothing more. If last year didn't prove you can't play McD at the 4 through an entire big east season, then nothing will prove that point. Further, it strikes me as odd that Smits would choose us if he's going to be getting 10-12 minutes a game in a 3 man 5 spot rotation. We have to have some real 4/5 looks, just have to...this is what I was saying the other day though, no matter what he'll play his 4 out one in and watch his team get brow beat physically over and over again. I just don't get it. I really don't.

shoeevv likes this.
  18. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $787
    I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up another grad transfer who can play immediately and handle the ball as a PG.

Might be splitting hairs, but it's the only piece we don't have. I know Baldwin and Battle are combo guards who can handle the ball, but I think Baldwin plays much better off the ball and Battle will still be a freshman. Against teams that like to press, it could eventually be an issue.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  19. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $234
    Have to respect how hard they’re going after8th place

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
    Total kiss of death. It's over before it started.