Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,463
    Dude, St. John's sh*t the bed, Wojo's head is still spinning and PC will have a mid-major backcourt. If we can't climb at least up to 6th, they better start selling something harder than Razz Wheat at Hinkle.

2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,127
    Never said it was an equal split at the 5. Nze and Golden can both play the 4. Smits isn’t a 30 mpg guy but should get the majority of minutes depending on matchups. Still see Sean moving to the 3 most nights.

#60 and Tentozen like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    The Danville KOD may be worse than a willis curse. Nah, but it's close.

We're going to suck, like 10-21 and suck awful suck. We suck.

That should guarantee a .500 or better record.

4. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,706
    I pray you are correct. It's the right thing to do. McD at the 3 is an asset, at 4 he gets beaten into a liability. Same with Tucker. They both need to be on the wings.

5. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $461
    Tucker at least provides some significant defensive rebounding at the 4. I know it may not be ideal, but with an offseason he could be better than you think at the 4. I'd still rather see him at the 3 or 2 though.

bmradio99 likes this.
  6. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    If we’re going to be good, Tucker needs to play a lot. Starting preferably. He’s second most talented player on team. Who cares about seniority.

bumba and willisbrown like this.
  7. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    He has to earn it. Talent doesn't mean he should be given playing time. Until he improves his defense, shouldn't be penciled into anything besides a 6th man type.

DawgPoundMac and seadawg like this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,706
    I think that's his point. IF we're going to be good, it's going to be because he makes a big leap and is getting many productive minutes. Tucker I think is a yuge key to being a big east middle of the pack and being an 8-9ish team. We need him to be awesome.

9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
    Hopefully David takes that step forward we were hoping for last season. I love his defense at the 4 spot. I don’t see any reason Nze, Golden, David, and Smits can’t be a huge upgrade over what we had down low last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,636
    We have to be better at every position this up coming season and every returnee is going to be better offensively. Rebounding and defense must improve dramatically for us to make noise

11. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    That's not how I interpreted. I interpreted it like how a team should play a young QB regardless of production.

12. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $713
    I think its awesome we got Smits. I'm sure he will help us improve on defence along with that rebound machine Nze, offence is a bonus IMO. I only see upside. A Butler grad friend of mine also suggested that Smits may be a recruiting tool indirectly. Not so sure but anything helps.

As far as Brunk is concerned I hope everyone wishes him the best. He made it through a tough time in his life and earned his degree. That's success. Hope he does well at IU. Class act. He's a bulldog for life.

Go Dawgs!

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    Um improve us on defense??? o_O He literally was almost worse across the board than both Fowler and Brunk and that's at the MVC level...He's just a big body, that's it on defense.

14. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $713
    You may be right, I'm hoping the sum on defence with this new group is greater than the parts . I'm no expert just hoping he surprises us.

Go Dawgs!

15. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Across the board on what? Smits was far more efficient on defense than Brunk or Fowler last year. He's actually capable of blocking shots (he blocked more than 2x as many shots as Brunk and Fowler COMBINED last year) and rebounds defensively at a much higher rate. He's going to be an upgrade.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,706
    If Brunk is a class act then I'm a NASA engineer...and I'm an idiot with a pea sized brain. Brunk is a tool and his camp has tried their best to burn this program on the way out. Plus he quit on the team last season. Good riddance to bad rubbish...he belongs in Btown.

2xDawg likes this.
  17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    Um OK...You got it dude

18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I don’t trust the majority of defensive stats to derive an individual defensive player’s ability-especially in a vacuum or with how well they’ll translate to better competition. If a guy has the best defensive rating on a team, you can probably draw some conclusions about him relative to his teammates, but that’s about it. Defensive stats are just too reliant on counting stats that aren’t indicative of good defense and too reliant on other people. On/Off efficiencies are probably the best you can do there, but even those alone don’t give you much insight as to how they’ll translate.

I suspect he’ll likely be better than Brunk (who I quite literally would have preferred to replace with EStar’s bale of hay) and worse than Fowler, who was passable.

If it allows us to play stronger defenders at the other 4 spots, which it should, that’s a big plus for us and that’s what I look at.

If I’m going to have one position be bad at defense it’s easily going to be my center that I’m going to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  19. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,237
    MBA2003 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  20. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $713
    Lol. Ok fair enough. Sorry I wasn't aware of the behind the scenes stuff. There were times I saw him play hard (and my wife loved his hair). I guess that means he rubbed you the wrong way. It changes my mind a little bit but at least he got his degree which is important whether your an A-hole or not.

Thanks for your perspective
    Go Dawgs!