Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Unless there's a plethora of five star centers coming in to the league as ready-to-compete freshmen, he'd really be about third or fourth behind Watson at Providence and Yurtseven at Georgetown, maybe Cosby-Roundtree at Nova.

2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,782
    IMG_0063.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

NCJon likes this.
  3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,168
    A big man grad transfer whether it be Smits or someone else and big guard who could play the 2, I would take 2019 or a grad transfer, to help out Battle and Baldwin. That
    would be ideal and an upgrade. Get it done LaVall.

4. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $749
    He would most definitely not be third.

5. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    Who would he be behind?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $380
    Roundtree, Joey Hauser, Epperson, Trique Jones, Ian Steere, Watson, Yurtseven are all guys that can play the "5" and give Smits a handful. Seems like Epperson might be the best comparison and I would take him over smits at the moment.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  7. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $259
    So let me get this straight. We complain because our talent level is woefully behind the top teams in the Big East. So we get excited by adding two Horizon league players to our roster next season. I say shoot for the stars. We will never consistently compete for the league penthouse unless we start acting like a blue blood...and not a Depaul.

8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    Yea, I don't get it, we are replacing basically the same for a team that was 16-16 while the rest of the Big East is getting better next year. I'm all for seeing the positives but out on the transfer market and select 2019's I can't see how or why getting Smits is going to make us a better team than last year. I get it let's Nze play the 4 and JMM can RS then but talent wise this is not the direction we need to go...

9. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Group think is a interesting phenomenon. Good news, if Smits does come, he'll be gone for the 2020 - 2021 season......when Matta becomes head coach. Unfortunately next year is going to happen no matter what. Board has determined (and he was going nowhere anyway) Coach Jordan "deserves" another year, whatever that means.

GO_DAWGS! likes this.
  10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Epperson has literally played 200 minutes in his career. Way to really dive into your research though.

NCJon likes this.
  11. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Please provide your rationale for Coach Jordan's termination. Would love to read why he "deserves" to lose his job.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  12. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $918
    Also, Ian Steere has literally played 5 minutes of college basketball in his career, but apparently he would take Smits to the woodshed too.

You can be in favor of looking in another direction other than Smits, but putting out baseless claims like saying Epperson and Steere would dominate Smits is just asinine.

bwesson15, NCJon and Tentozen like this.
  13. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    I don't mind adding Smits - as long as he's not the headliner of the transfers we bring in. Lock him in and then go all in on trying to land an impact guard.

14. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Bingo. I'm ok with a marginal 5 minutes eater if the other one or two coming in are dynamite. Smits doesn't make us awesome and probably will be a lower tier 5 in the BE, but what do we really need from him? Not too much, he won't help or hurt a ton. It'll keep things steadier in the middle than what they could be. Shoulder shrug.

The key is bringing in at least one other transfer who is that difference maker. A takeover type that can score in many different ways. They're out there, just got to kick the tires as hard as possible in the hopes of landing one.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,053
    I feel like many are still missing the point. Comparing him to other Big East players is irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is whether Butler is better off with him than without him. Butler will be a better team with Smits next year than without him. Butler has two scholarships available; it is highly, highly, highly unlikely Butler can get two players better than Smits with those scholarships.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Joey Brunk is going to get offers from some big, big time programs on the transfer market. Joey Brunk was not very good.
    But when you get a big guy who can come in and play immediately and play ok minutes immediately, almost everyone would want him.
    I’m not sure adding Smits would materially change things; I think it would, but that’s a cautious optimism.

What I do know though, is that a grad transfer that is a lot better than Smits is exceedingly unlikely to come to Butler, and a freshman that comes in is unlikely to be better than Smits would be.

So take a guy who fills a hole, and then try to replace him with a more talented freshman when you have a full recruiting cycle and can develop a relationship that may sway a guy away from a “bigger” program.

17. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $259
    I wonder if this defeatist....accepting attitude was what Chris Mack had at X when adding to his roster.

nindiana likes this.
  18. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,199
    But allowing Nze to play the 4 (and McDermott et al to play their proper positions) is huge even if Smits is simply a replacement level 5. It's easy to imagine our 16-16 season being a few games better (which potentially means being in the tournament) if players were contributing from their proper position.

bwesson15, Sidd Finch and Insane Dawg like this.
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,053
    If trying to improve your roster is defeatist, I guess I'm defeatist. Teams don't regularly add two plus-level grad transfers. That's not a Butler fact, that's just a D1 basketball fact. Can it happen? Of course. But it's very unlikely.

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    And there’s logic to support this. The most impactful players typically play in the NBA-for a guy to be a grad transfer he has to not believe he’s an NBA player.
    Grad transfers also typically come from places with inferior programs or in search of more playing time. We’re probably not trying to take a guy who couldn’t get minutes at a power program because then he likely also wouldn’t get minutes here and almost certainly wouldn’t be overly impactful. So you’re left with guys looking for bigger programs, which means that their talent was overlooked. Those guys are always a wild card in terms of whether their game will translate against better competition.

Occasionally there’s an exception like Reid Travis, but what does Butler have to sell those guys that Kansas doesn’t?

It’s also harder for Butler to land a grad transfer because the goods we have to sell are culture, playing time, and relationships. You get maybe one weekend in person with a grad transfer so our value proposition is harder to sell to them than a freshman who you know for months to years.