Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    That Butler can’t get a better transfer than Smits is sad but probably true. Agree we will be better with him than without him. At worse we would have another sub and a scout team player.

2. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    True but Xavier does it as does Creighton, SJU and even DePaul.

iluvsnow likes this.
  3. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $380
    Who Cares if Epperson has only played 200 mins of college basketball. I've seen him play and he is better than Smits. Doesn't matter how many minutes you play. If you went by that factoring then Jordan Tucker is a terrible transfer.

bumba likes this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    You'd seriously take a big who has already had serious back and knee problems and barely played his first two seasons over Smits?

Jones and Hauser started at the 4 for both of their teams. Maybe Jones slides over if Dionte Miles isn't ready to go, but X will have Jones and three freshmen in the post. If Nze and Smits are Butler's 4 and 5 there should be a mismatch in there somewhere in favor of Butler. I feel similarly about Marquette with Hauser and Theo John. Yeah, the out-of-position 4 might be able to get the better of Smits, but it should create a favorable mismatch for the Bulldogs with Nze-John.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from Nze.

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Creighton has Hankins this year who was a difference maker, and yeah I’d love to get a Hankins. Welage and Castlein were pretty unremarkable though.

Olujobi was excellent.

SJU has had 2 grad transfers while we’ve been in the big east; one scored 7.5 ppg and the other scored 9 points all season.

Creighton: Connor Cashaw scored 2 ppg. Last season Manny Suarez scored 3. In 14/15 Kreklow scored 7.5 ppg. So not really game changers.

I think the best grad transfer the conference has seen has to be Matt Carlino, right? Am I forgetting someone?

So we have Hankins, Carlino, and Olujobi across 10 teams and 6 seasons that have been game changers that I can remember. I’d much rather lock in Smits and shoot for the stars with the second one than try to hit two home runs and maybe end up with nothing.

Edit: Rodney Pryor was really good for Georgetown a couple years ago too.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $380
    I would still take Epperson over Smits based on what I've seen from both of them. Either way, would people seriously rather have Smits over Brunk? bottom line is that I do not see this as an improvement.

From what I've heard Nze is going to contribute a lot next season.

7. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    I'd rather have Brunk, but that's not an option at this point. Smits is.

Epperson's injuries give me real concern. I hope for his sake he makes a full recovery. A broken back at that age is not a good thing. Not a good thing at any age.

Sidd Finch and bumba like this.
  8. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    A guy that's motivated to prove he can play at a higher level vs one who checked out last year, and has stopped even going through the motions on defense? Pretty easy call.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    IT IS NOT SMITS OR BRUNK!

[​IMG]

BoyGeoff, bwesson15, DawgsMD and 7 others like this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Exactly, a warm body on a roster. If he does anything at all it would be icing. If he doesn't, we'll play small ball with Nze.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I think 6-7 points, 3-4 rebounds and not being exposed on defense is what I’d love to get, and I don’t think those are unreasonable expectations with a lot more room for upside than downside.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    It's not an improvement over Brunk. In fact, it appears we've now moved from Holt's A-10 transfer all star team to LaVall's Horizon League transfer all star team.

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Are you really OK with that though? Kam Woods led the conference in rebounding a few years ago. We need a true BE 5 at some point.

I'll give LJ the benefit of the doubt if he was caught off guard by Brunk leaving. I still think Golden will play more than Smits considering the way LJ wants to run his offense. I guess we'll see.

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I agree we need one at some point but I think the probability of success with getting Smits is higher than passing and hoping we get someone marginally better and possibly getting no one. We’re just not going to get Jessie Govan on the grad transfer market. I also think Smits’ rebounding numbers will be depressed because I expect Nze to grab a bunch that Smits may otherwise get.

Hinkle likes this.
  15. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $380
    Guys, i'm sorry. I was just a bit bias. My season tickets are right behind the family section and I didn't want Rik Smits sitting in front of me so I couldn't see.

16. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    I think many here are. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those people are wrong. I hope Nze is good. Really good. His play is a very critical piece to how next year plays out. We need someone with the physical tools to play the 4. We didn't have that this past season and it was a big negative to overcome.

NCJon likes this.
  17. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Fun fact: When I was 4 or 5, I met Rik Smits at my first Butler game ever. He was in front of my family in the ticket line. It was a game I'm assuming UNC scheduled when they were recruiting Eric Montross.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  18. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    Montross was already on the team. Dean Smith used to schedule "home" games for his upperclassmen from out of state during either their junior or senior year. That was Montross' home game.

That was my first Butler game, too, and my first Carolina game.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,780
    I went to the same preschool as Smits' kids. My parents told me a story that when I saw him at some event there I exclaimed "He has really big shoes!"

ConnersvilleBulldog and NCJon like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    I was thinking of transfers in general not just grad transfers.