Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Denverdawg

Denverdawg Member

Money:
    $58
    I was at an event last week where Bill Belichick spoke (puke). Anyhow, one of his messages was that the patriots have targeted the best player on a bad team (Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon, Randy Moss) and those player came in and elevated their play in a situation where they didn’t shoulder the same load pressure, plus they were great teammates.

Not saying that is going to happen here, but would be interesting to see. It has worked for the Patriots and would love to see it work for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joliebeth23 likes this.
  2. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    1. Smits is a significantly better rebounder, both offensively and defensively by all metrics.
    2. Smits blocks more than FOUR times as many shots as Brunk.
    3. Smits only locks up a scholarship for one year.
    4. Smits was less efficient offensively than Brunk this year, with that said, his usage far exceeded that of Brunk's. I would expect his numbers to increase when he's asked to do less.

Why are you so biased towards Brunk? I too wanted him to be the next great Butler player from Indiana...but he wasn't.

And again, it's very, very irrelevant.

3. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    Interesting concept with the Patriots. No reason to stop there. Who's going to be in charge of deflating the balls next year? ;)

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,738
    Smits will say yes if offered, and he'll give 7-8 pts and 4ish rebounds in about 20 minutes and 5 fouls. Fine, bring him on. Now make it formal and go get that damn scoring guard. Give me a lineup of Nze, Smits, Tucker, Baldwin and a transfer, with Thompson, McD and Golden off the bench, we may have ourselves a squad yet.

And yes I want Tucker starting over McD. His ceiling is higher and if he beats him out it means he's getting closer to that ceiling.

CarlosDanger likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    So how many people here have actually watched him play more than just a few minutes or a highlight video?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

joliebeth23 likes this.
  6. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,173
    You must be new around here, Jared.

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    I’ve been sold on getting Smits because he is probably as good as anyone we will be able to attract and if he is a mistake it’s only for one year. Besides he can play on the scout team if he isn’t able to provide many game minutes. I have not seen him play in a game but if his best plays are what are in the highlight video then I am not a buyer. I wasn’t a buyer when he was coming out of high school either. Just have to hope the other guys improve enough to keep us out of the cellar.

8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    Living right down the road from Valpo, let's just say I've seen all I've ever want to see of him, but everyone else has gotten on board, so I buckle your seat belts I guess it's going to be a bumpy ride. Even the Valpo fans don't like him and couldn't wait to get rid of him. There's been talk of him being a detriment in the locker room. I feel like Valpo fans will laugh their butts off if they pawn him off to us, just my take on that one. He couldn't even get consistently 20 mins at Valpo and people are penciling him in here in the Big East for 20 minutes and I've seen 10 and 7 and 6 and 5, it'd probably be more like 4 & 4

nindiana and AKasle_BU like this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,046
    In seeing the way many fans treated the Brunk vs. Fowler debate, do you really think anyone should ever put any stock in how fans feel about a player? A lot of people feel like Kobe was a top 5 all-timer, and a lot of people feel like Carmelo Anthony was great. Heck, some people feel like the earth is flat, and feel like vaccines cause autism. People's feels just aren't worth much, and if it's ever the primary basis of an argument, the whole argument is probably crap.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    You could very well be right, but what are the consequences if you are?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,088
    From Valpo's board:

"Smits is a gump who can’t guard MVC level players let alone P5...I’m not worried even if he decides to leave. He is the least self aware defender on the court (except for when McMillan enters the game for his prerequisite 5-and-2...five minutes and two fouls).

Still excited to see what we have with our three new guys for next season."

"Unless he found a coach he was absolutely certain (in his eyes) could help him improve and keep the playing time he'd get at Valpo. If he were to go to a P5 conference, I think he gets eaten alive and would serve him no purpose whatsoever. "

"Welp not really surprised but I’m really going to miss watching him complain after every foul and brick free throws"

"The only way I would really get angry is if he suddenly develops into a great defender. "

"Lol@ Smits declaring for the draft. Can't shoot threes Can't rebound Can't defend What a joke. He'll play in Europe maybe even at an upper division but the NBA?Pffft He's wasting his time and that of anyone who takes time to evaluate him."

"Derrik was overall a B-/C+ player in the MVC, constantly getting bullied on the defensive end by guys 4-6 inches shorter than him. Does he think playing at a higher level will be better. If someone like Illinois gives him a shot does he really think playing one end of the floor will fly at a P5 school?"

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  12. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,088
    True. I just know this really isn't a great answer. I think it doesn't make us better or worse, but I personally would have liked to have gotten better. I just see the status quo and hoping that last year was a mirage which is very dangerous

13. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,195
    The feelings of hard core Valpo fans after a player leaves probably has zero explanatory power for how Smits will perform at Butler. Numbers, while imperfect, are much better than the human feeling, and suggest positive contribution to overall team performance (as previous posters have pointed out using prediction algorithms +/- Smits and +/- Brunk).

joliebeth23 likes this.
  14. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $724
    Jared, when I saw him play this year at E'ville, he spent most of his time arguing with the officials and his teammates. He also spent a lot of time practicing cool dunks in warm-up. I actually don't mind him coming to BU because it allows players to play their best positions, but he looked to me like he will be a very frustrating player to watch.

15. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,088
    If you think this year was bad having to listen to all the complaining on here about Brunk and Fowler that will be a whole new level with Smits

bumba and SpartanDawgs like this.
  16. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,195
    I have no illusions--of course Smits will draw the ire of many on the poster board. Probably from me too. But overall, numbers suggest he is a net positive and fills our highest positional need. Secure the spot and fill our last spot with the best player available.

17. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $259
    People are talking about Smits better metrics.....how is comparing metrics of play in the Horizon comparable to the same in the B-East? Riddle me that!

18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Y'all do realize Valpo has been in the Missouri Valley for a few years, right?

19. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $259
    Zappppppppped.....sorry!

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    There is a lot of data that can help make strength of schedule based adjustments.

It’s not perfect but I guess it’s a lot more accurate than what you get with projections for freshmen and those are surprisingly good.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops