Derrik Smits - 2019 Grad Transfer (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 1, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    And he averaged 16 & 5 as a Freshman at Fordham.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    Agree, so was Brandon Miller and Mike Monserez.... but we didn't play in the Big East then.

3. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,398
    Again, him exciting you more than me was never the argument.

You know who else disappeared during conference play? Joey Brunk.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Tentozen likes this.
  4. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,207
    Kethan Savage

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    Look, agree or disagree, it doesn't matter. I simply wish we would aim higher and reach out to high major transfers and even high major 2019's still on the board.

We could also pocket the scholie in the short term. Both AT & Golden didn't commit until the end of April/early May. There will still be transfers to come and coaches will still be fired/change jobs.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    My goodness, what is your bias about Brunk lol?

7. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,398
    He wasn’t good, and didn’t want to play for Butler?

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    Was surrounded by Kelan Martin, Tyler Wideman, Tyler Lewis, Andrew Chrabacz, Kamar Baldwin and Avery Woodson.

9. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,620
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    Smits is already the new Butler message board lightening rod. When he commits it's going to be quite hilarious to watch the true believers vs the doubters losing their minds in different directions.

I'm a meh and a shoulder shrug. Get me a ball dominating scorer, I could care less who joins the party. I care about that...a filler 7 footer who will play some spot minutes, I just can't get seriously excited or upset. It's a big body when we need one. Ho hum, doesn't make Butler better or worse. An on the ball player will.

BullDawg2789 likes this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    I'm going to buy you a Fowler jersey for your birthday.

12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    Damn that was a great team. Still pissed they came to my town and laid that egg against unc...but that season and run to the sweet 16 was a good time.

13. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,620
    Brandon Polk was pretty good from the JuCo ranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg and bumba like this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,720
    I would love for us to add a Kethan Savage type player.

joliebeth23, DawgPoundMac and bumba like this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    Agree, that's why the guard we sign will be a much greater impact on the Fall than a 5.

16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    He was dominant his senior year, best player on the team...in the Horizon League. I'm simply saying we need to find this type of talent that can compete in the Big East.

estar20dawg likes this.
  17. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,207
    Isn't that the entire point of a transfer? To complement the existing team and fill a need?

I'm with you in that Smits is not choice A, B, C, or D for me, but the type of guys you are wanting (high major transfer that can come in and make an immediate impact) don't typically come to schools like Butler. The high major guys are either a Reid Travis who can basically pick any team in the country, or a Tyler Lewis who was a bit overmatched and can be a contributor but isn't a program changer. Jordan Tucker might turn out to be an exception to the rule, but he was also a mid-season guy who didn't have a ton of options at that point in time without missing this entire season.

So that leaves mid-majors who either balled out and are looking for a step up in competition and a platform to showcase their games, or older veteran guys who want a chance at the tourney as a role player. A guy like Smits fills a need, even if he's not exactly what we want, and allows the staff to go hunting for a guy that does offer the upside to really make an impact without worrying about need.

mwall787 likes this.
  18. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $88
    Can someone explain to me why everyone seems to think Golden is the second coming and will be our best big man next year? He average 1.7pts and .7 rbs In the fifteen games he played in. Even with the unrealistic “per 40” that’s 11pts and just under 5rbs. I like what I saw late in the year from him, but seems like a bit of a leap of a projection the way he’s being discussed no?

19. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,521
    Pete Campbell was a good pick up from IPFW.

pjohnsto2003, DawgPoundMac and bumba like this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    I do think they would come or I think we recruit 2019 high majors who haven't committed.

Keep in mind guys transfer all summer long. Granted the early transfer rush is March 15-May 15, but I simply think we need better talent on this roster. Maybe it's Smits. I don't know but don't think so. Again, just my opinion.