Derrik Smits

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ViaSwiss, Nov 26, 2019.

1. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,873
    It would be a weird ass time in his career to be transferring and sitting out if he has the aspirations that we all know he does.

2. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,629
    Just for clarification, that's not what I'm basing my decision off of. I'm basing my opinion on the 80% of his games that I've watched the last three years. That's why I am curious to see who here has actually watched him play any games in the MVC versus just putting out stats, because it seems the people who have actually watched him play are hesitant about what he can contribute to Butler. I'm glad Golden is playing how he is and Nze stepped up, because that allows us to not have to rely on Smits. I think he's great for a placeholder/breathers for our other bigs, and he will be serviceable in that regard. The team is really fun to watch right now. I hope things don't change when he starts playing

estar20dawg likes this.
  3. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $938
    Willis do you mean Hastings?

4. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $345
    That was not the player he was implying...

UDDawg likes this.
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,299
    Negative. Hastings has it made. Hasn't played a minute and gets a full ride to a great school. I'd take that.

This is pure speculation just based on what could be hearsay I have heard and what I see thus far (other than Monday). But you know my man Tuck isn't happy with his usage. Rumors have been flying around since the summer he and LaVall have a very rough relationship. Maybe I'm letting those rumors be too real to me, but I just A. Don't think he's being used enough (in his mind) and B. Thinks he can do better things under a different regime. And it's not like his family is hurting for money and he can't be patient.

Again, I don't want anyone to take this at face value. It's purely something I feel and it holds no weight other than hearsay and rumors.

6. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $211
    I see that, but at the same time, I have a really hard time he'd want to sit another year after having gone through a transfer already. And next year he'll be our obvious #1 option on offense. That's got to be obvious to him as well. I think he's super frustrating to watch because of the inconsistency on the defensive end. It's like he loses focus for a play here or there...if he can get past that, I think Lavall has shown that he's a really good teacher and is willing to play kids that earn it.

7. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,122
    Tucker just can’t get past his blue chip ranking coming out of high school. Coach K never gave him a chance so he came here to be “the” man. And he doesn’t understand why nobody can see that.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg likes this.
  8. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,130
    You have a screw loose if you really think Tucker will pass up a senior year and sit out a whole season to leave Butler. I don’t understand where the stuff comes from when he wasn’t playing because of the suspension and before we knew why Willis was saying he and Lavall had a falling out? You were dead wrong about that one, stop trying to assume there’s an issue when there’s no fact there is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,442
    I don't know why so many dislike Tuck, I am not a worshipper like Willis, but he's a decent player with a good stroke, and he keeps improving - not sure what more we can expect out of a 20 year old. Let the man play, and let's watch the
    results - why not just enjoy his contributions?

troggy, BulldogsFTW, Shimmy and 6 others like this.
  10. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $346
    I think some were hoping Tucker would be as good as, if not better than Kamar. That’s not the case but he’s still got some terrific talent and is one of the better players on this very good team. After Kamar graduates this year I anticipate Tucker will have an even larger role next year.

It’s both frustrating and amusing to see people want an entire roster of 4-star players and then think the coach has a personal issue with a player when the coach utilizes talented bench players.

11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,445
    I’ll go ahead and suggest that hinting that Tucker is talking **** about the HC in Broad Ripple and a transfer may be looming if he doesn’t get more minutes is actually *more* disrespectful to Tucker than critiquing his effort on defense.

12. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,726
    I would guess that if this were to come to fruition, it would be a grad transfer. I’m betting he could finish his degree in the Summer. Just saying don’t discount a possible transfer on sitting out. Of course, he has to see the talent here and the frosh coming in and realize that Butler’s probably the highest visibility place he could play at next season.

MSUDawg likes this.
  13. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $1,130
    To even bring it up is crazy there are no facts behind the any of the things people are saying.

14. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,174
    We’re basically 1/4 of the way through the season...not crazy to talk about him missing the rest of the year. It doesn’t help that LaVall is being coy about it either. I’d be surprised if he’s not out until conference play begins.

Similar to Rondale Moore. Week to week my ass.

15. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $452
    I could be mistaken but I believe that Bulldogs260 was talking about Tucker, not Smits.

16. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,174
    Ah. I’m dumb. My point still stands!

17. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $1,130
    I was talking about Tucker, that’s why I’m saying there is really no evidence to back up he is even thinking about transferring. Literally none.
    Smits on the other hand hopefully can get healthy but I like what we got in Golden

18. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $157
    The worry at this point is whose minutes is Smits going to take? My concern is that the current rotation is clicking quite well and adding another guy might mess things up.

as for Tucker, if he can learn to play within the system and himself he’s a valuable asset. As it stands, he’s one of three guys who can bring the ball upcourt. He will get minutes, and those minutes will increase with a bit more selflessness.

bubby and znelson15 like this.
  19. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $737
    Smits has forsure lost his starting spot as golden has shown to be the player we need
    Once healthy though I think he will be good for spot minutes during certain situations and match ups
    I for one still want him because you never know how things will roll game to game as long as he can accept that roll

20. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,445
    I want to say a genuine thank you for the poem-esque format of all your posts. Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

znelson15 likes this.