Derrik Smits

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ViaSwiss, Nov 26, 2019.

1. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,613
    When has anyone on this board mentioned a dislike for Tucker? Quit conjuring straw men and then posting rallying cries for a player none of us have a problem with. Jordan Tucker is a fine player and is being used appropriately. That's it.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,420
    Tucker is a good ball player and will only get better. This is really only his second semester of true D-1 game experience. He is a good rebounder ,ball handler, free throw shooter . He is beginning to finish strong at the rim and his defense is much improved. Once his shot starts falling his confidence and value will sky rocket.

2xDawg, Dewars12, BURph92 and 2 others like this.
  3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,442
    My apologies, I thought I had heard some negatives, but apparently I was wrong, that's it.

4. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,273
    I also wonder about this. Especially since I have made several critical comments about Tucker this season and last. But I've never doubted his ability as an athlete to play high-level basketball.

The guy's got loads of raw b-ball talent. His problems are in his approach to the game and his attitude, it seems to me. It's not an attitude that's clearly destructive to the team or anything like that, but it does get in the way of him becoming the accomplished player that he has the athletic potential to be.

These issues are readily apparent, IMO. So it's not hard to understand why Coach is not giving him more run. Tucker get the same shot as anyone else: Don't matter if you came from Duke University or Carmel High--you have to fight and play like hell to earn even a minute on the floor. That's as it should be.

harvesting, ChiDawg3 and estar20dawg like this.
  5. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $642
    Yeah, that dialogue is definitely overblown. Plus, you can be critical of someone without having to dislike them.

I still think that Jordan Tucker has untapped potential but I don't have a problem with his playing time.

6. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,677
    Smits out tomorrow. Keep telling everyone RS is a distinct possibility. Yes it would be odd but those are the rumors I’m hearing.

7. BUBandGeek

BUBandGeek Member

Money:
    $1
    Forgive me for not understanding the byzantine NCAA rules, but wouldn't he need to be granted a special waiver to get a 6th year? He already used a medical redshirt his first year at Valpo. Typically you get 5 years to play 4, correct?

I know it's not unprecedented, but it's not automatic that a redshirt is even on the table, right?

8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,346
    Butler does not have any available scholarships unless someone transfers out or pays his own way.

9. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,277
  10. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,006
    I was wondering the same thing!

I’m hoping JT is smart enough to see what looks like a pretty darn good class coming in next year and he will no doubt start and be featured next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,130
    Hopefully Smits doesn’t redshirt I doubt the poster has any actually source about his info but I love the way Golden and Nze roll down low and I think Coles can contribute as a freshmen off the bench

12. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,140
    It's not automatic. He would have to apply for a waiver to get another year. The first redshirt season being a "medical redshirt" has little bearing on getting the second because, as you noted, you typically have five years to play four seasons and it fell within that timeframe. It being a medical redshirt probably improves his odds of getting a waiver over it being a regular redshirt, but not by a lot. At this point, it's really more about the severity of the injury.

13. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,677
    This is rich coming from the kid who said Vall was 100% in the state of Michigan on a day he wasn’t. Or was that when you were posting as pick and roll dawgs, or Hinkle Nation? I can’t remember.

estar20dawg likes this.
  14. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $1,130
    I was told he was there recruiting. Like I said seems odd Transfer is likely when it’s literally impossible as we speak. I like Golden and Nze like I said plus Coles would benefit from getting some minutes as a freshmen off the bench year 1. He could be a monster for us.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,686
    BoyGeoff and Bulldogs260 like this.
  16. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $211
    Getting Smits back and playing can only be a very good thing. I like what Golden and Nze are doing right now too, but in the BE season, we can't go small constantly. I think there are a lot of people on this board who automatically assume that playing Smits is going to make our offense and defense look like last year, but he's a totally different player than we had playing center last year. And he's freaking big.

17. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $1,130
    Good point here, I’d even say it’s important to have him for Purdue more than anything. Harms is huge we could really use a big body and more depth for big east play.

Shimmy and Cranjis McBasketball like this.
  18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,051
    I think of Smits when I see Seton Hall, as well. It's only upside if he can play. If he can't earn the minutes, he won't be in there. We have the pieces that have shown we can win without him, but maybe we can win at a higher level with?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  19. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $1,130
    What I heard was Smits was leaning towards dressing vs Florida and then something changed the day or two before. I didn’t ask if it was a injury setback or just the stuff being careful but I would expect him ready to go for
    Purdue at the latest maybe Baylor

20. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,619
    Hope you’re right. Front court depth is the team’s biggest weakness. And even if he’s only slightly better than JMM, then this team is set for a run this year.