Do we dare start a Seton Hall Game Thread?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Jan 3, 2022.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,183
    I don't want to jinx anything.

I've only watched them intensely once (against Michigan). But I know they're pretty good. Wasn't there a whisper last week that they may be a touch shorthanded tomorrow? (or that there's a chance)

KenPom is 30 (them) v 103 (us) and the game is at 8 et on CBSsports.

That's all I got. Here's to hoping there is a game.

2xDawg likes this.
  2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,845
    CBSSN? Damnit.

I get that in Park City, but my parents don’t here in Iowa, and I don’t go back until Wednesday. Sigh.

Looks like an “online stream” for me…

3. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    They've played their last two games with eight players and will be again against us unless the Big East changes its COVID rules today. Even shorthanded, they took both Providence (lost 70-65) and Nova (lost 73-67) to the wire. Their main missing players are bigs Tyrese Samuel and Ike Obiagu.

They have 8 eligible but really play with only 7. One of the 8 has played only a total of two minutes in the last two games. Harvard transfer Bryce Aiken looked very good against Nova. He didn't start but played 31 minutes and scored 22 of Hall's 67 points. Should be interesting seeing AT match up with him.

Aiken is 6-0 but their starters against Nova were 6-6, 6-6, 6-6, 6-8, and 6-10, although Nova still killed them on the boards, 42-28. Last game we started 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-7, and 6-9. I wonder if LaVall will make any lineup adjustments.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    willisbrown and jeff like this.
  4. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,546
    The last Seton Hall broadcast....McCarthy said he would be at the Seton Hall v. Butler game......and I cringed when he said Butler Fieldhouse is one of his favorite venues.

5. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,189
    Ticket prices are INSANELY cheap on Stub Hub. $6 for the 200’s and $13 for some 100’s. Wow

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    The fan base has abandoned this team.

And I get it. Like anyone who posts thousands of times about a program over the course of several years, I’m a diehard, and I have almost no motivation to watch the them play. I can’t imagine what the average fan feels or doesn’t feel.

The real pain for the program in terms of $$$ will be next year, barring an eventful offseason.

IndyDawgs, UDDawg and jkcdawgs like this.
  7. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,189
    And it’s hard to imagine many fans wanting to renew their season tickets when they can buy the whole season for under $150 on secondary markets

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    Is this a valid reason to fire a coach on its own? My gut says yes but my brain can’t support that position.

I don’t have a lot of faith that Lavall is going to get things where I want them, but I also don’t think its logical to think simply changing coaches makes things better.

Big Hoss is right though about season tickets. I talked myself into it at the last moment knowing full well I likely wouldn’t go to any games in those seats-it’s just usually pretty easy to recoup a good amount of the ticket cost by selling. I have only been able to sell two games all season-it’s a nearly complete loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,183
    Ouch. To all above.

But not in the least surprising.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    Yeah, the season tickets thing is what I meant when I wrote that Butler will feel the $ pain next year. People had reasonable hope this year would be better than last. So they re-upped.

There’s just no reason right now to think next year’s team will be any better. And if that doesn’t change, there are going to be a LOT of people who bought season tickets the last several years who won’t next year.

IndyDawgs likes this.
  11. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $951
    First year season ticket holder here. Our 4 seats are a joint venture between myself and my father in laws business. I'd have to imagine he isn't too excited at the prospect of chipping in again after the mess this season. I'd probably still keep a couple of seats because I am hopelessly addicted, but I'd be definitely looking to reduce my $ output at this point or even wait and buy in later and watch from home next season with the wife and 3 kids.

12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    The lack of fans is hitting a lot of college teams this year - not just Butler. Even some pro football and basketball teams are struggling to put people in seats. Maybe covid and cancellations has something to do with it. Just look at restaurants, movie theaters and concerts. They too are losing a lot of patrons.

Nildogg, BNiche, jarik and 2 others like this.
  13. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $594
    I think there was already a huge drop off in season ticket holders, although I don't have any actual data. My seats this year are radically better than they were a couple years ago, and I actually have way fewer priority points than I did. It's sad how many empty seats there have been all year, but it's really hard to know how much Covid actually has to do with that. Will be very interesting to see how things bounce back (or don't) next year.

14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    I saw recently that attendance for Disney theme parks in 2020 was off >70% from 2019. It has rebounded in 2021 and up ~100% from 2020, but that is still off 40% from 2019. 40%!

I understand that season tickets were off considerably when we were still optimistic about this season. With Disney off 40% from 2019, we have to assume Hinkle would suffer a similar reduction in ticket sales for this season.

Now, I am sure that there is some decrease in attendance because of the lack of on-court performance. However, I find it rather difficult to conclude (as some are here) that the reduction in ticket sales is 100% attributable to the on-court performance.

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,316
    1000% true. I have a friend who I offered tickets to who said that he is going on a trip soon and He can’t risk Covid.

That’s a totally reasonable position to be in and surely impacts peoples willingness all over to buy tickets.

Similarly, I’d imagine far fewer visiting team fans are looking into traveling to go to games.

16. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638

I agree with your analogy, I just might point out that Disney is in a far better position to recoup their losses than where Butler is, as far as basketball revenue goes.

I’m sure this question has been answered before, but whatever happened to the extra bump in revenue we were suppose to get for conference affiliation, and the payout for tournament performances? Does it amount to nothing in the long run? Regardless of how this season ends, if we have to change coaches now, how can Butler expect to get a good coach or even retain one if we are so dependent on season ticket sales and donors?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  17. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    I understand that, but cash on hand and the ability to withstand COVID induced shortfalls is not the topic at hand. The question is concerning the drop in Butler ticket sales/attendance this year and what is the cause of that decline.

Some folks are arguing that the on-court performance is the reason for the decline. While I am sure that is part of the reason, (as Insane pointed out) this is not solely a Butler issue. Decreases in tickets sales/attendance has been seen across multiple leagues, teams and hospitality/entertainment industries.

Instead of just speculating or using other numbers that are easy to discount, I wanted to present facts from an earnings call from a publicly traded entity.

18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,935
    Not sure the attendance numbers are always correct, but they appeared to be close (7,655) for the DePaul game even with the students missing. The early start could have had an effect. Simply too early to know if the effects of covid might be a factor as well. The next couple of games should provide a more accurate answer.

19. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $707
    I find it funny that the same people incessantly crying about the need for more money in the program are the first ones to stop financially supporting the team via ticket sales. And seem to be encouraging others to abandon ship, as if that would result anything productive.

If Vall doesn't show serious positive momentum at the end of the year, then yeah it may be time to start fresh. But to think we are in some uniquely bad place as a program is just wrong.

Nildogg, Theprez4, 2xDawg and 6 others like this.
  20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,316
    I can tell you with absolute certainty that Butler attendance numbers, like most college athletic event attendance numbers, should not be taken as representative of how many people were actually there or bought tickets.

Mens basketball attendance numbers are most likely to be the most accurate, but it’s still just a number.

Hinkle likes this.