Elijah Brown - 2013 Shooting Guard (New Mexico)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,646
    Give it a rest already. He left because this is exactly what he wanted to do. Score a bunch of points and have the ball in his hands.

That was not going to happen at Butler, end of story.

2. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    +1 Brown would have certainly been a backup last year & this year at Butler. He's probably a significant upgrade over the backups Butler does have, but he wasn't interested in being a 3-year backup player. As such, he made the right decision for himself.

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I agree with both of you. I have watched several of NMU games this year and have been impressed with Brown's skills and stats. He has made himself into a scorer. But the one thing that sticks out is he seems to want to be in control of the ball and be the first option/ go to guy. That's fine but I'm not sure how that would have worked along side KD, Jones and Martin. I think his desires and needs were the primary reason why he left. His style just wouldn't have meshed with BU. As it turned out New Mexico was a good move for him.

4. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,899
    So I watched most of New Mexico's loss last night where Brown went for 41-11-6. But what I noticed was not the scoring. He literally WALKED up and down the court or stood still about 85% of the time when he did not have the basketball. Defense, stood there. Offense without the ball, stood there. Other team shoots, he stands there or walks back down the court. His team shoots, he turns around and walks down the court. I don't think I have ever seen someone move so little in a basketball game. He must save all of his effort for when he has the ball.

5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    I admittedly didn't watch the game. But he must have done some REALLY fast walking to grab 11 rebounds. In all seriousness, I know he doesn't always show the best effort. I'm sure Stevens knew that when he recruited him, he must have thought he could get him to work harder under his coaching. Oh well.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,039
    Pretty funny when people clown a player with that type of stat line. The vitriol for this kid around here is insane. Much like Macura. He's a good basketball player. I mean, dude drops 41-11-6, for realsies, and people are STILL on him. I mean...what? For the season he's 21.8/5.4/3.2. But let's rip him all we can. The subjectivity and lack of basketball knowledge is approaching an all time high around here.

7. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    I agree with you and wish he was still at bu. However, I watched this game and his on court demeanor is just plain weird. The walking/shuffling around is constant. It just seemed like he really wanted to be be doing anything else other than playing the game, and he dropped 41 and 11 doing it.....crazy! Part of it for sure when he doesn't have the ball on offense is trying to lull his defender to sleep before running him off screens or cutting away from him. Does the same thing on defense. Plays possum a bit with his walk/shuffle to bait a pass that he can deflect or steal. He goes from the walk to an all out sprint in a heart beat. Fwiw his demeanor comes of as bad attitude/he would rather be doing something else, but I think it is just part of his game. Looks really unorthodox, but it's really affective for him. His coach is good with it and he is a focal part of the team. I am glad he is doing well, and don't understand why bu fans want to rip him. I would have taken his 41 pt effort and free throw shooting against Georgetown Saturday in a heartbeat.

Sent from my NX785QC8G using Tapatalk

8. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,899
    I will tell you how he go 11 boards. He stood there and the ball went right to him. Those were the vast majority of his rebounds.

I am not saying I don't wish he was at Butler. I am not saying he is a bad player. I am just saying, he walked 80 percent of the game and got 40-11-6

If you don't believe me, watch the game replay on watchespn.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,039
    It's like anything else, of course people (me and you included) would have loved his FT shooting yesterday. People may not like the way he plays. Hell I don't like a lot of things out there, but when they're effective, you just have to tip the cap and say job well done. He gets it done. People want to hate, I feel sorry for them. The kid is a great player and did nothing wrong while here other than play under an opiated coach and try to get better. Sorry that ruffles people so much. Get a grip yo. Kid is a good player. And we could really, really use him right now.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Who would you bench for Brown- Martin, KD or Jones? One of them would have to be benched because he would not accept not starting,

11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
    Refresh my memory, did he mention that one of the reasons he decided to transfer was because he only started one game all season?

[​IMG]

12. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,466
    I wonder how many of these transfers would of still been here if Stevens never left.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    I would imagine all of them.

14. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    Elijah brown is testing the draft market without an agent. He played well in his new home, but seriously? Unless this is just to get evaluated to see what he needs to improve on to have a chance, I don't get it. I would think he could get that info from his dad and some of his dad's friends.

Sent from my NX785QC8G using Tapatalk

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    My guess is his heart has always been on getting to the NBA and as quick as possible. Kentucky's entire squad supposedly are testing the draft. Good move for the players and good promotional tool for Calipari. I wouldn't blame any kid with potential or dreams to get a free analysis of what they need to work on.

16. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,646
    There is literally ZERO downside. I'm somewhat surprised we haven't heard that Kelan is doing it.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    I definitely would if I were Martin.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    [tweet]767726477680975872[/tweet]

19. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $232
  20. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,840
    I stayed up late last night & watched Elijah Brown & his New Mexico Lobos host the Nevada Wolfpack. Nevada ended up winning 105-104 in OT. Incredible come back by Nevada as they trailed by 25 midway through the 2nd half & still trailed by 14 with 1:08 left in regulation. Incredibly Nevada hit 6 consecutive 3s(mostly long & contested) in the final 1:03 while New Mexico(who was in the double bonus) made just 4-10 free throws & didn't turn the ball over in the final minute. Nevada ended up hitting a game-winning 3 with 3 seconds left in OT to win. Just an incredible game to watch & shows it's never over until it's 0:00. Elijah scored 26 points on 7-15 shooting & was 9-12 on FTs.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.