End of season predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by znelson15, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Not sure what you mean. Having a "solid rim protector" would encourage more three point attempts.

And Butler's interior defense is not a problem. It's quite good.

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    Had a conversation with a couple season ticket holders yesterday that essentially said the same thing, they just called it "Jekyl and Hyde" the last few weeks. We played incredibly consistent through the non con and first few games of the conference...which gave us all hope that so much had changed, but, it's been very up and down since. If the losses were close losses that's one thing, but a few have been beat downs where we looked helpless (Nova, DePaul, Marquette).

Since about mid January, consistent we are not.

3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    The Big East is really tough and Butler must get tougher! That being said the last four home games are must wins, Dawgs must finish 10-8, that's 22-9 overall.

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,960
    It’s just the nature of college basketball. Think we’re inconsistent? Look at Purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

jarik and DawgsMD like this.
  5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    Purdue is trending in a positive direction, something Purdue usually does and good for them. I have always liked Painter and his program.

znelson15 likes this.
  6. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $116
    Having a "solid rim protector" would allow our defenders to stay up tighter on 3 pt shooters without fear of them blowing by them for layups. Our interior defense is good on passes and shots from interior guys, but terrible on drives to the hoop from the outside. That is what I mean.

Sidd Finch and Staxawax like this.
  7. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,521
    This sure seems to be true. I mean both Michigan St. & Villanova are in the midst of 3 game losing streaks.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,722
    To me it’s not just the inconsistencies but the trend. We aren’t getting better like Providence, Marquette, Xavier and Creighton are trending. We are trending like last year. You can look at all the statistics and metrics you want for offense and defense but the real reasons we are struggling is that we aren’t that talented and our bench is awful. We have six dependable players , three of which cannot pull defenses out. Of the remaining three Kamar is the only one that attacks aggressively. If Tucker and/or Sean are hitting threes we look awesome. If not we get run over.

We are trending where we were picked in the preseason and there isn’t much that the players and staff can do. Lastly the BE is proving to be considerably better and more physical than who we played in non con. Let’s hope we can win a few more and hang on for a bid and represent ourselves commendably. The way the NCAA is suppose to gage teams now may work to our benefit.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    OldSchoolDawg1983 and iluvsnow like this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,960
    Trending like last year I think Is a bit of an stretch.

I agree it’s looking worse and the trend is down from where we were, but in our last ten games we’ve played 6 games against teams that are currently ranked and we’ve won 3 of them. It’s hard to say we’re in meltdown mode.

2xDawg likes this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,722
    Didn’t say meltdown- you did. We will know soon if it is talent or not as we have five games left on the schedule( four of which will be in Hinkle) against teams that are below us in the Big East.

11. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,383
    I will say I can't wait as I'm sure many Big East teams can't wait to get to the Dance, because this conference is absolutely brutal. I'm hoping all the teams that get in can show how good this league is. I think getting away from, all the teams beating and knowing each other will be a breath of fresh air I especially hope for us. The way this conference guards KB and AT is different from everyone else. The way they guard McD and Nze is different. The way we play difference isn't quite as known. So if you are looking for positives go for that.

bwesson15 and znelson15 like this.
  12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,960
    I am pretty confident that me saying we had a meltdown at the end of last year isn’t exactly a controversial statement.

13. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $611
    Question, am I just missing it or do we not run any screens for Sean? He gets some good looks when we are able to move the ball on offense but otherwise it seems like the only plays, other than back door cuts, are all for Kamar. Also we never seem to actually pick anyone we just disrupt them a bit. If we have the most efficient offensive player in the country I would think we would want to get him more looks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Clevedog likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,960
    We don’t run very many bc he’s not that good at shooting them off screens. He’s much much better in spot up situations.

Sidd Finch and jeff like this.
  15. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $648
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times”.
    Turn it around these next two at home and get some mojo back

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    If we can pull out these next two at home, We should also beat DePaul and SJU at home and that's 10-8 and that's a fantastic season considering we are shorthanded, not deep, coming off a disaster last season, and still have a very inexperienced (3rd year) HC, with the future looking insanely bright.

Dammit, I'm letting myself dream a little, but here is our opportunity, right here right now to rip off two crucial home games and de facto lock up a top 7ish seed in the dance. I remember X at home last season, it was the last time (and the first time in awhile) we saw effort out of that team. They played their tails off. I hope we bring the same emotion and effort Wednesday. We don't *have* to have this win, but we really need this win.

17. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,620
    When you are sitting at #5 in the country and only one loss, it’s much easier to trend down, and to do so significantly, than up, particularly with five losses in that stretch.

18. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,699
    Wholeheartedly agree. Let's ask Michigan State and Florida how they feel about their teams right now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

tyrin101 likes this.
  19. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,521
    You guys think Butler will end up with a higher(meaning better/lower #) seed in the NCAA tourney or the BE tourney?

20. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $552
    I am hearing a lot of talk about our bench being weak right now. It seems that not to long ago it was a strength. Could it be that losing David is really a big deal? It also seems like we lost Battle. He used to give us a little, but now he is just hurting us when he is out there. Smits showed some potential go give us 10 good minutes. I don't see that anymore. It seems like in almost every game Baldwin and or Thompson pick up their second foul before mid way through the first half. Now that I think about it (after writing this) it seems like we have little room for error these days. Maybe losing David moved the needle of allowable error into the danger zone.

OldSchoolDawg1983 and cornette33 like this.