End of season predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by znelson15, Dec 9, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    I'd say this-if we look back at the talk before the season, many thought Smits would be a starter, Battle would contribute right away, Tucker would be the sure fire ace as the 6th man and that David would be at worst a defensive help off the bench.

Here is what happened-Smits couldn't play because his knees hurt, Battle has lost any sense of how to play basketball, David blew a tire and Tucker is doing ok, but isn't quite what the masses were hoping. Then Thompson goes down etc etc.

This is a 6 deep team. Smits has been a disaster. Battle needs like 34 psychiatrists, David is working on two legs that have been obliterated, JMM ain't ready and neither is Hastings. So...we have 6 guys ready made to play each evening. As the big east goes on, it wears down. LaVall had many chances to go after a grad transfer guard and he didn't. That is proving to be a mistake. Saying that, if I had a top 100 guard plus Tucker maybe that wouldn't have been my main focus either.

In the end, sorry for the long post, this team was constructed to where it could not afford injuries. Smits is playing like he's 90, David is out, Thompson was out, Hastings wasn't ready...it leads to what we are seeing. Very thin. David to me was never a good player, but he was a tough nosed dude that could give you 10-12 solid at a couple different positions. Losing him hurt. And Smits basically needing a wheel chair hurts too.

2. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,115
    Can't really argue with any of that. Is there any way to help the bench players contribute more offensively?

When Battle is in perhaps concentrate on driving to the hoop/ shooting mid range jumpers instead of threes.

dawg767 likes this.
  3. dawg767

dawg767 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $531
    Yes, maybe the staff or someone should show him his YouTube and Twitter throwdown highlights to remind him what he's capable of. Cuz he appears to have lost all confidence.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,636
    Well golly darnit we better start running some. ‘Cause I’ll take a not that good Sean shot off a screen than a shot from anyone else on this roster.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    Christian David's loss is huge, he was Butler's best player off the bench (the glue guy). He contributed in many ways and was often unsung (except the St John's game).
    Wishing him a full recovery, will be needed next year. Looking back on it, would a grad transfer guard been better than a big man? Just wondering.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,721
    Definitely

7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $494
    I think Smits was the back-up plan and LaVall Jordan just never got the guard he wanted. It's nice to have an extra 5-fouls in the middle though - and most teams we see in the NCAA tournament won't be as big as the Big East teams are - he may be an asset come tournament time.

seadawg likes this.
  8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    A Kethan Savage or Avery Woodson would have been nice.

OldSchoolDawg1983 and cornette33 like this.
  9. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $648
    Unless I am mistaken, we have a Scholarship that remains open this season. Guessing we never attracted a senior transfer guard to play this season. I seriously doubt it was a purposeful decision by staff.

10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    Yes, we have an open scholarship currently. And this is one beef that is legit with this staff. They recruited one guard half way hard and he chose to go somewhere else, but isn't eligible this year anyway. There were plenty to go after this last spring that we didn't charge with any conviction for and they all went somewhere else. In the end they believed like I believed that we had a good enough 3 guard rotation, expecting an immediate impact from Battle. Which is the only excuse to let an open scholarship go loose when the guard depth was screaming thin. That was a miscalculation on their part and even if they thought Battle could come in and give 12-15 minutes, they still should have gone hard after a Grad transfer guard. There was room and a need. Now, in a guard's game, we are playing against top tier teams with two guards.

And no it's not hindsight, myself and others were wanting this as soon as the buzzer sounded in Nebraska.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,960
    No one truly knows how hard the staff recruited a grad transfer guard or if there were perceived issues of fit of those who were available. I do believe Smits was a plan B though. All in all, it's not turned out that badly.

12. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,299
    I don’t know much about the guards. I know Smits was pretty much Plan A though. Or maybe whatever Plan A was got shut down immediately. They were on him pretty quickly and were fairly sure they were landing him well before he actually committed.

I will say that while I never had anyone close to the program tell me this, I do strongly believe they expected more from Battle this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...sfers-who-will-play-for-new-teams-in-2019-20/

Blackshear & Clarke are having a good year. Keeling isn't having much of an impact and UNC is down. Bolden has been consistent for Alabama. Same for Kimble at Louisville.

I don't think you can fault LJ for Battle's slower development. He will get there. I still wouldn't choose the low major kid that picked Baylor over Chuck & Myles in the 2020 class.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  14. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,556
    Jay Bilas's take on our NCAA Tournament prospects:
    "If you didn't see the Butler-Villanova game in which a red bucket was the most important technological development since the breakaway rim, you missed one of the best games of the season. Butler does not have size or interior strength, but as long as Sean McDermott and Kamar Baldwin are hunting shots and aggressive, the Bulldogs have a chance. The Elite Eight is generous for Butler, but it's possible."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ollege-basketball-rankings-2019-20-version-30

2xDawg likes this.
  15. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    That's Jay Bilas! For him to give Butler even a sniff of the E8 is a mindset shift from him.

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Butler: <leads Big East in 2 point defense>

Bilas: “Butler does not have interior strength.”

It’s impossible to know the ins and outs of 100 different teams, so it’s not really his fault. But it really makes national pieces like this worthless. Butler has tons of weaknesses. But it’s pretty much impossible to have interior strength be one of them and yet be elite at defending 2s.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

huss587 and bumba like this.
  17. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,699
    At this point I have very little worry about Battle. He just needs the offseason between Year 1 and Year 2 to have the growth we have seen so many Butler players have. Watching him warm up, his shot is still falling. It's just a matter of translating it to the court at game speed. It also looks like he has worked a lot on his footwork; I could be wrong, but it seems that a lot of the scissoring he had with his feet when he came in has gone away. He's landing much more squarely rather than with his right foot so far forward. Also, he is so engaged on the bench, which shows me he at least outwardly isn't hanging his head. There may still come a point this season where we need some minutes from him, and that could come this weekend if Thompson is unavailable or limited. He needs to look nor further than Henry as a shining example of how to be prepared when your number is called.

Shimmy, bwesson15, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    It all went to hell when Nze shaved the mohawk.

knobcreekfan and butlerguy03 like this.
  19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,747
    I, too, have been really encouraged by his bench presence. Think it says a lot about a kid to still be so engaged and pumping up your teammates. It should be nonnegotiable when you're on a team, but it definitely doesn't happen all the time on other teams.

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    From what I can gather, he's a young 19 year-old if you know what I'm saying. He's got growing up to do. He's not mature. I don't mean that in a malicious way and I don't at all mean to suggest he's a bad kid. He's not. But he's got growing up to do.And I don't think that should surprise anyone if you watch some of his mistakes and his general court demeanor. It's the same way in practices. He gets really up and down emotionally. His skills need to improve, yes, and they will. But the bigger thing with him is that his mind needs to get right.

Tentozen and godogs91 like this.