Eric Hunter - 2018 Point Guard (Purdue)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,587
    Yeah, I think we can retire the term "hero ball" when Holtman decides to instill an offense to fit his players. Going one-on-one is the offense he implemented. You prefer we call it one-on-one rather than hero ball? Or tell us what should we call it that won't offend you? Relying primarily on an offense that requires players to create their own shots when it doesn't fit the personnel sure as hell didn't maximize the potential of the past team. One of the most misleading stats from last year was the 14th best offense in the country. How about the most important stat, they finished 22-11 and were a bubble team until the last weekend of the season. And, this team was blown out more times than I remember any Butler team ever getting blown out. But we had the 14th offense in the country. What gives? This with two first team pre-season all Big East players, another returning double digit scorer, a McDonald's AA, a soph who emerged as the best all around player on the team and a post player who everyone raves has made huge strides in one year.

Didn't VMI lead the country in scoring just a few years ago and didn't even come close to going to the tournament? So when are we going to retire that misleading offensive number that doesn't really reflect the overall quality of the team. By the way, how many "signature" wins did we have last year?

Sorry. My bad. Should just look at stats. Everything's great.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,041

You're confusing points per game and efficiency. We had the 14th most efficient offense in the country - points per possession - adjusted for competition. That's a fact, and that's really good. (And for what it's worth, VMI has never had an offense ranked in the top 50 in efficiency. They scored a lot of points when Baucom was their coach because they played a high number of possessions. It was still a bad offense.) We were 22-11, and not better, because our defense was not very good. That's also a fact. As an example, it may not have felt good, but in only 6 of their 37 games did any team score as efficiently against UVA as Butler did. On the other hand, in only 11 of their 37 games did UVA score more efficiently than they did against Butler's defense (among those games: Lehigh, Bradley, Morgan State, and Hampton). That game is a pretty good summary of the season. Our offense was terrific, no matter how much you didn't like it. Our defense was not.

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,509
    He won't be unranked for long. I hate to hype him up too much, because I only saw him in an All-Star game and a random IndyBall game, but he looks like both a top 50 player and a perfect fit for the Butler program. Everyone is raving about the 2017 class in Indiana, but the 2018 class might actually be even better, and not just because of Langford.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,587
    Next time we lose Holtman needs to grab a ref an tell him we need a do over because Ken Pom says we should have won. What the f * ck did we do before analytics? Lot's of "experts" now. Too bad they still play the games on a court. Don't need to look at numbers to know the defense was atrocious. Or that the offense struggled against good defensive teams. I was a sort of disappointed in the 22 - 11 season. Now, I feel so much better that we were 14th in offensive efficiency. Can we get that on a T - shirt?

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,041
    It's fine that you were disappointed in a 22-11 season, and you can claim our offense could've been better. But the fact is it was really good, regardless of what your eyes tell you. Most teams and fans would be happy with a 14th ranked offense each year, myself included.

And yes, the games are played on the court; the numbers do a pretty good job of telling you what happened on that court. The most ironic thing is that you lament that people think they are experts because they cite objective data to point out things about the team that data shows actually happened, but then proceed to claim that your eyes are telling the real story. Who sounds like the self-proclaimed expert?

6. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $197
    Relax. Analytics are fun and help us frame what we are seeing, and also compare apples to apples. I don't think anyone is happy with 11 losses, and would surely trade more wins for gaudy advanced stats. But we are all fans and it's cool to know how your team stacks up, it makes sports more fun to follow.

7. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $770
    By my count we won 5 games vs. teams that were in the NCAA but lost in the first round. We were 0-8 against teams that won their first round game. That arguably puts us #17-32 in the country. Considering a couple of our recruiting classes that was not too bad. Who was it that said,"We are what our record says we are."

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,041
    Not coincidentally, our final Kenpom ranking was 32. We were a top 30ish team, and considering we lacked the two most important positions in college basketball (C and PG), I'd say Holt did one heck of a job overall.

9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,311
    Fairly sure Nova continuing to win added at least 8-10 spots to our final number. We were in the 40's before the tournament I think.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,041
    We were 37 going into the UVA game and that game went exactly as it was supposed to score wise, so I think that's probably where we were right after that (though I'm not sure because it only tells you the rank as of that game day). So we moved up 5 spots with Nova's winning.

In any event, it doesn't matter. For whatever reason Kenpom didn't like us quite as much as many other ranking systems. Our composite ranking for the year was 30. Teamrankings, Sagarin, and Massey had us in the 20s. We were a top 30ish team.

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,311
  12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,509
    I'd really like to see us be aggressive here. I believe this kid is going to be a top 50 player entering college. Rankings will catch up on his shortly.

13. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    Xavier offer

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,311
    [tweet]733762865530703872[/tweet]

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,311
    [tweet]739961572118827008[/tweet]

UV on Wednesday

16. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,496
    Offered.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,509
    Absolutely love this offer. I've said for a while that this kid is going to be top 100 at least. Recruiting rankings are way behind on him. His offers are only going to continue to poor in.

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,041
    So we are not messing around with the point guard position...

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,509
    Hunter has the size and shooting ability to play the 2 guard position as well, so he will be able to play along with whoever ends up taking the 2017 PG spot.

20. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,496
    Take this for what it's worth -- which is little, obviously -- but I came across this over on GBI (Purdue Rival's site).
    Thread is here: https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/eric-hunter-jr.103518/