Eugene Brown - 2020 Small Forward (Ohio State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,204
    No what makes you say that

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $1,204
    Just got a chance to watch the live video. First school mentioned was butler. He specially said coach Jordan name and said he has been talking to Kamar and talked about how they are both from Georgia. He said Kamar was really just telling him how the transition is and all that. After that he went through answering questions about other schools. Things I took as noteworthy
    1. He said he felt no pressure at all to stay in Georgia and is looking for the correct fit.
    2. Butler was the only school he mentioned specific names.
    3. He said he visited Clemson offer as its very close and said very little about Georgia only saying his team was at the campus and he got an offer after watching a practice.
    4- just his overall tone seemed very engaged when he discussed butler compared to other schools.
    Now with that being said my ears I’m sure purked up big when he was talking about butler but those are just my takes from it. Don’t mark it down as anything serious. I’m calling it here with a bold take Eugene brown will be a BUTLER BULLDOG!

DawgPoundMac, BHayden, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  3. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,060
    Let's see if Lukas agrees;)

4. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,108
    The only reason Butler stopped being the favorite was posters’ insecurities. There hasn’t been a shred of proof the ship has sailed. People just worry. I have no idea if Brown will pick Butler or not but I feel the same about his recruitment as I did two months ago. We’re in good shape.

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,621
    Most of us would have to admit Brown wanted and received the Georgia offer. That did seem to throw a wrench into the mix. Maybe the offer alone will satisfy EB. I would definitely be interested in others perceptions of the video conference. Georgia does seem to be building a strong roster. Then again they are overloaded at Brown's position?

6. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,239
    Think it's worth mentioning that Brown said during that interview that he anticipates getting a Virginia offer soon, along with Ole Miss and Stanford.

7. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $1,204
    I agree and butler is not, seems to be the best fit

8. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,158
    I'm not willing to read the tea leaves too much on an Instagram Live interview. Based on what I've heard, read, and gathered from interviewing him, it certainly seems as though there is plenty of time left in his recruitment, which leaves the door open for new suitors to arrive. I know this might seem scary to some, but I think that Brown cutting his list would be good news for Butler. He would be more focused on those particular schools and possibly receive less external interest. I would be very surprised if Butler was left off of that list. As someone has already alluded to, there is no reason to believe that Butler is not currently the favorite. At the same time, though, there is no definitive proof that Butler ever was the favorite to begin with.

At this moment, I would say Butler, Georgia, and Georgia Tech at the top-tier in his recruitment - I have no inside info behind these three. I would say that Xavier is a reasonable threat to swoop in and join those ranks, but that would happen if they were to miss on Niels Lane, and I think that X is in good shape there. If those are his top three, then I think there are pretty solid arguments for and against each school. Butler certainly seems like the best fit for a combination of winning and playing time but is also further away from home. I know he indicated that he is feeling no pressure to stay in-state, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be near his family. It is clear that he is looking for his best overall fit, and I think he is being quite smart by feeling out all of his options. He's a smart guy, and he will weigh the positives and negatives of each school recruiting him.

Considering he is not expecting to commit until November, there is a ton of time left in his recruitment. Because of this, I don't think it's really worth looking into ordering his favorites. With all three schools in the market for other commits as well, we don't even know what the future roster construction will look like for each team by November. No matter what, though, it is not time to panic. Butler seems to still be heavily involved and recruiting battles are fun. I might try to do another interview with him when the recruitment is further down the road.

If this post was TL;DR, basically: There definitely still seems to be mutual interest between Butler and Brown. This is a fun recruiting battle and there is lots of time left.

(FYI, I'm hopefully going to put together some highlight stuff from Peach Jam when I stream that weekend, but we'll see.)

9. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $677
    Just said on IG that Butler is recruiting him the hardest.

EDIT: IG is Instagram, for all of you old heads.

10. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,448
    I guess I’m confused because I was told that they had given up and were incompetent.

11. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106
    I just saw that also. Not much else you can ask of the staff on this one. I hope we land him and if not I think we all just need to be ok with it. Staff is giving it their all on this kid.

godogs91 likes this.
  12. cornette33

Money:
    $1,060
    How do athletes quantify "recruiting him the hardest"? Do they get multiple calls and text a day? Just saying cause if you ask a player one day it might be one school and ask another you might get a different answer. Hopefully it's over a week span or something. Very subjective. Either way I am happy with his answer.:)

13. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,158
    Tipton did post the entire interview on YouTube now. Here is the whole thing:

And here are some of the quotes I jotted down (I also tweeted these):

On Butler: "The visit was nice. I liked it a lot. I got to talk to some of the players about Coach Jordan. I talked to Kamar Baldwin a lot because he's from my area - about how it is to go all the way up there and how you get used to it. It was really just a good experience."

On Georgia: "We were up there for a team camp. We hit up the coaches to see if we could do a visit afterward, unofficially. I got to watch their workout, practice, talk to the coaching staff, watch some film, and they offered after that."

On Clemson: "I've been there a couple times to watch some games...they are really inviting and open and I really go there a lot...I just enjoy the campus and it's close so it's easy to get there."

On GT: "I've probably been there the most, out of all the schools. I did see some games, talked to coaches, been to the locker room. That's really the closest so I go there as much as possible."

Brown said he is looking for "a fit. someplace that people are likeminded of what I'm trying to do. They have good character, no bad attitudes, everything fits and clicks, and the academics."

He also talked about his visit to Ole Miss last year and how schools have differing pitches, and not experiencing much pressure to stay in the state. He is anticipating offers from Stanford, Ole Miss, and Virginia. He has a 4.1 GPA.

BHayden, indienapolis, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  14. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $677
    Strained thigh. Will be missing Peach Jam.

15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,471
    Ouch. Those are not pleasant.

That sucks for him because according to a couple writers down here he was really rounding back into form from the leg injury and then procedure to get the screws/rods out. But...do others cool at all, maybe seeing him as injury prone?

jkcdawgs likes this.
  16. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106
    Hate to see him get hurt again. Hopefully others back off but more importantly hope for quick recovery. Glad it’s nothing major

cornette33 likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,766
    How does one blow up when one isn't even playing/hasn't regularly played in forever? Weird.

Sidd Finch likes this.
  18. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $747
    Alan Greenspan used it in much different circumstances, but I believe his "irrational exuberance" might apply here.

Tentozen likes this.
  19. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106

Pretty cool. Is VT low on the list of teams that should worry us?

20. cornette33

Money:
    $1,060
    Could Butler take Brown and Cross? Brown seems athletic enough to play SG. They need athletes and I think a good program could make it work.