Eugene Brown - 2020 Small Forward (Ohio State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106
    Social media is a big false perception. Who are we to judge a kid by his social media post? Kids across the country post those countdowns I see them all the time. Just the world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  2. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $325
    And these kids are not the kids who historically choose Butler.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

nindiana likes this.
  3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,359
    It is time to move on. The kid is definitely an attention seeker and one who might have a problem in Butler's culture.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,555
    Jackson Davis had his announcement after school on a Friday if I remember right. He was a level headed kid. Keep in mind they're high schoolers and they have been given too much attention for their ability. I hope we make the cut honestly. The kid is good.

NCJon likes this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,626
    Making the cut would be alright and the staff will probably continue on recruiting but this seems a bit over the top IMO.

6. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,469
    Remember he had a countdown clock for his visit to Butler. It’s just a kid having fun. He’s obviously extremely active on social media. You guys are thinking about this way too much.

7. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,899
    Yeah, this has been obvious to me for a while now. I hope we are wrong, but I've seen this play out to many times. Kids who fish for Twitter praise and play up the hype to an excessive degree just don't come to Butler. It's not a culture match.

thebulldogs likes this.
  8. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $518
    This is the LaVall era. We are going to recruit talent no matter if they are attention seekers or not. I probably would do a count down myself if I was that tech savvy, well at least for my commitment. It’s an exciting time for this kid. Also if he thinks butler won’t give him that attention and fame, then he wouldn’t be posting pics of himself in butler gear on his Instagram weekly...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106
    Yes I agree. Was thinking the same thing about LJ era. Kids everywhere do this countdown clock. The reaction from some people on here is ridiculous

10. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,629
    loollllllll. Shut up old man.

11. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,024
    Yeah anyone who was saying these things about Brown clearly don't follow him and listen to him talk. He's an extremely hard working kid who is coming off a horrific injury and didn't complain about it. He's confident yet humble and nowhere near arrogant. Clearly some of you don't follow Khaliff Battle or Jordan Tucker's social media trail. He's a kid being a kid whose had an extremely rough year at 16/17 physically and mentally. He's exactly the kind of kid we want. His motivation and drive and that age is wonderful to see in a young kid when most of the time these days these kids make excuses and complain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,365
    I would be EXTREMELY cautious about judging a kid based on social media. First of all, this is the only time in their lives they get to go thru this process. Let them enjoy it.

Second, there are numerous examples of kids messing around online who are outstanding young men. Social media is not the real world.

Here’s an example. Last year PSU got a 5-star LB who was top 5 overall in the country. He originally committed to PSU, then posted a bunch online about how grateful he was to receive other offers, then he decommitted. He got a dog and named it Brutus (the OSU mascot name for those who don’t know) which sent a punch of PSU fans over the edge. Did a bunch of other stuff on Twitter. Long story short, he re-committed, enrolled early, and despite a bunch of fans claiming they no longer wanted him and that he would be a locker room cancer, he has been nothing but a model teammate, is a leader, has kept his head down, is the hardest worker in the weight room, pushes others to elevate their game and worth ethic, and if he is healthy will be a top 1-3 LB in the Big Ten this year and will be an All American.

He was just messing around at 16/17 on social media with a bunch of fans that hung on his every ‘like’.

Point is... the dumbest **** I have ever read on this board is from people wanting to move on from any recruit who doesn’t fit the mold of a “typical” Butler player. Some kids you take and you mold them into Butler players. Saying to move on from this guy simply Bc he hasn’t committed in your timeframe is ridiculously self-centered. This is one of a handful of decisions we make that alter the course of our lives. Let him have his fun, take his time, and commit when he’s ready.

Sidd Finch, #60, fdr and 12 others like this.
  13. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $377
    Saying we should back off due to his social media countdowns is a reach. It's not like the kid is throwing up character red flags. He is having fun being a high school kid and getting courted by some huge programs. Who are we to say he shouldn't be enjoying that how he wants?

cornette33 likes this.
  14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $526
    Yep - shocking. A bunch of folks that stalk every follow & like on social media to gauge a recruits interest and how hard we are recruiting that player get pissed off over a countdown clock.

15. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,842
    Some people on this board complain when we don't know when a recruit is going to make any decisions.
    The same people start to complain when we know when the recruit is going to make a decision.
    We complain about not recruiting the 5 star one and dones.
    We complain when a player has the goal of leaving for the NBA before they graduate.

Some members of this board try to find something to complain about, just to make themselves happy. (SMH)

knobcreekfan, Shimmy, 2xDawg and 6 others like this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    Opinions=Complaints

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,785
    Counterpoint: you can learn a lot about a person based on their use of social media. The people I know who are insufferable in their use of social media are also insufferable in real life.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,555
    Capture.PNG

BHayden, Daddysmack, DawgsMD and 7 others like this.
  19. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,052
    I hope g3ne is getting lots of Butler love on social media. While we want someone here for the right reasons, we want him to know the Butler fan base is passionate and really wants him to be a Dawg (the right kind of Dawg).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,282
    Some of you are so out of touch with reality...

Social media is here to stay and it's still growing. It will become a bigger focus of this board and the recruits that Butler is targeting. PERIOD. The kids without social media presence are a dying breed.

With that said, social media is also an unbelievably valuable asset. There are kids who have hundreds of thousands of followers in middle school / high school who will never have to "work" a day in their lives simply because their outreach is so wide. Why do you think Zion was such a big deal before he ever stepped on campus at Duke last season? It wasn't his AAU play, it wasn't his 247 ranking, it was that millions of people followed him on Instagram and were already familiar with him. He was already a social media superstar. Guess what's also true? That impacted his shoe contract. That's impacted all of his other endorsements, FAR MORE than his basketball game. It's clear that some of you don't understand how valuable social media has gotten in today's digital world.

I'm not equating Brown to Zion.
    I'm not suggesting that Brown is trying to eventually monetize his social media accounts (but if he were, more power to him!)

I am suggesting that Eugene Brown is attempting (either consciously or subconsciously) to increase his personal brand. And anyone who is critical of that can pound sand. Do you, Eugene and good luck with your decision process.