Eugene Brown - 2020 Small Forward (Ohio State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,785
    It is categorically different to try to elevate your personal brand when you've done something that warrants having one in the first place. Zion was not just the best player in his class, he is a generational player. Comparing anything he does with anyone but other sure-fire lottery picks doesn't make sense. And even then, it'd be a stretch.

No one thinks social media is going away. But that doesn't mean the activities on it should be immune to criticism. Today, everyone has a platform to self-aggrandize for the few hundred or thousand people who "follow" them, but only those who lack the humility and/or self-awareness to realize they're not as accomplished or important as they think they are do it.

LA-OC-IE, seadawg and Insane Dawg like this.
  2. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,282
    Are you for real? Zion is who all these kids are trying to be! Of course they are going to try to emulate his actions. So we should expect that teenagers will be able to know when they've elevated themselves enough to where their brand is valuable? Okay.

2xDawg likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,785
    Not saying he's a bad kid or that he won't figure it out. I'm saying that it's a data point that suggests he currently lacks self awareness and/or humility. Sure, many teens do - more than the general population, probably. But at the same time, many do not.

LA-OC-IE, seadawg and Insane Dawg like this.
  4. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,096
    It's one thing to say you don't like Butler's chances with Brown because historically, Butler hasn't had much success landing kids that do things such as posting a countdown until they release a Final 6 list. Because we haven't.

It's another thing to say Butler should back away from Brown because of it. Especially since this board has mentioned for years that Butler needs to step up it's recruiting game and start landing more impact players.

5. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,318
    Isn't your pontificating on social media (this site is social media) a sign of lack of humility?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,785
    Uhm. I'm anonymous.

And even if I wasn't, my pontificating is not about me. It has nothing to do with me. And it's certainly not for the sake of promoting me.

It is not, by definition, self-aggrandizing to ponder and discuss things that don't involve yourself.

LA-OC-IE likes this.
  7. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $180
    Perhaps instead of calling it social media it should be called antisocial media.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Butler Hoops mobile app

LA-OC-IE and WMUDog like this.
  8. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $476
    I probably wouldn’t get to worked up about what a kid post on his social media account unless it is really offensive. I doubt any of us are 17-18 years old and probably weren’t raised in a total digital era. Everyone has a platform these days. If u are not using it to ur advantage then ur not doing it right. The kid wants a count down. Let him have it. Let him have 10 count downs. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad kid or a cocky kid. Have some of u ever thought the reason none of the “Butler” guys have done much self promotion was they weren’t very relevant on a national level? Or maybe it just didn’t exist when they were coming through. I hope we get this kid.

9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,131
    I am just thankful social media didn't exist when I was a brash 17 year old.

10. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    I couldn't agree more...but for some reason I read it first as "a little more womanlike" and I had to scratch my head...

LA-OC-IE, shoeevv and NCJon like this.
  11. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,629
  12. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $377
  13. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $901
    Amen to that brother. These kids have all these tools now to communicate and somehow we expect them all to behave perfectly. Not gonna happen. It's just easier to say hello to big brother now.

Go Dawgs!

LA-OC-IE and NCJon like this.
  14. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $325
    X just got their 2nd wing commit in the 2020 class, so they may potentially be out of the running for Brown now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    X is killing it on the recruiting trail

16. xufan02

xufan02 Active Member

Money:
    $99
    Xavier is recruiting two players at this point; Ben Carlson and Jalen Bridges. Both have official visits scheduled. Carlson at the end of August and Bridges in mid September. Xavier cancelled Jaylen Clark visit for this weekend after the Jones commitment. They are done with guards, now trying to get a skilled face-up 4 man.

17. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106
    For X and Butler should be good games to come! Interesting to see who’s 2020s turns out better

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $227
    As one who hesitates to post, especially offseason, I cannot resist from a bar in Kapolei. I wish Dr Beck from Abnormal 441 was around for this debate! She’s one of few BU professors that shaped my career path. Forever grateful.
    I think she would say all of social media points to severe narcissism and self promotion. Combined with lack of self awareness, low self monitoring and an overt blatent disregard of humility.
    This is the society we are creating. Sorry firedupkaren you are completely misguided. Achievements matter. As much as I disagree w hinkle often, spot on.
    See you in Kansas City!
    Salud!

seadawg likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    Sally Beck! Now that is nostalgia and one hell of a professor. Spot on with how she would react to social media. Civility died with the www

20. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106