Eugene Brown - 2020 Small Forward (Ohio State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 27, 2018.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,103
    Yeah good stuff, Lukas. It's a shame it takes someone like you, with their hands full, to try and get something positive out there because our beat writer won't. You do a fine job. Other than y'all haven't had me on the podcast (I'm still waiting, patiently). Keep it up and good luck this next week with finals and graduating. Congrats to you on that great accomplishment. Oh to be young again. :(

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,346
    "Our beat writer's" job isn't to "get something positive out there." JFC.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    El Conquistador and butlerguy03 like this.
  3. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,103
    It isn't to go to press spinning this program in a ****ty light right before we entertain a huge visit, either. Tell the story, we've had plenty of 4 stars visit and a few commit. There's your story. Not the horse crap he led with. But he's a *****'s ***** so it doesn't surprise me.

Hinkle Nation and SnoopDawg like this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,346
    I'm not going to argue that it was a great lede, but it also wasn't terrible. He was setting the stage for the importance of Brown's visit. It was both accurate and defensible.

Again: HE DOESN'T WORK FOR THE BUTLER PR DEPARTMENT.

Some of y'all are way too damn sensitive, especially when it comes to Woods' writing. A few days ago we had comments on here about Woods being too much of a homer. Now when one of his articles offers a slight - but accurate - criticism, people are going apoplectic. It's ridiculous.

Sidd Finch, Staxawax, Yogi and 2 others like this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,836
    David Woods is an outstanding sports journalist and we should all be thankful that he covers Butler for the Star. He is fair, supportive and professional.

6. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    I have to agree with Insane Dawg om David Woods, he does an excellent job on the Butler beat.

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  7. Hinkle Cellar Dweller

Hinkle Cellar Dweller New Member

Money:
    $19
    Yeah, we could have Michael Pointer back as the beat writer. Anyone want to go through that nightmare again?

8. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
  9. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,517
    Definitely agree. From the experiences I have had talking with him and reading his work, I have a ton of respect. I know he gets a bit of a reputation sometimes but we have had some fun convos over the past year. He's really good at what he does. I think each of our Butler writers brings a little different voice and perspective, whether that's David, The Athletic, the Collegian, etc. All of them know the program well.

10. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $155
    Thank you for speaking up - there's too much trashing of others on this board...

tlp63 and Lukas Harkins like this.
  11. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Member

Money:
    $126
    I find it funny how people like to **** on this program all the time yet when our beat writer mentions we haven’t been successful in recruiting (mostly true) all of a sudden HE’S a hack, he’s terrible, rabble rabble rabble. I don’t mind people saying it, but it better not be the people who **** on the program every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    fdr, tlp63 and Lukas Harkins like this.
  12. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Active Member

Money:
    $162
    When did Woods become a Butler employee? Last time I checked he isn't employed by the university and therefore is not required to hype Butler or be its cheerleader (unless he is reporting on the Bradley Braves)

13. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    I'm glad the IndyStar has someone covering the Butler beat, but Woods is way too negative in my opinion.

He constantly gives the program backhanded compliements in both his articles and tweets. It's really annoying.

14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,994
    This.

David Woods is an excellent journalist and a heck of a nice guy. He has hung on at Gannet and they keep trying to squeeze more and more out of him. I doubt they even care if Butler has a beat writer. IU is the only thing close to bringing in any money (but they’re still losing their *ss). Heck they farmed out Purdue to a guy with the Lafayette Courier-Journal. His assignments include all kinds of college sports and often they won’t even send him onsite. Gannet is not paying for a Butler basketball beat writer unless they can keep him working every day basketball is not in season........ and if Butler University was located 30 miles outside Marion County they would not feel obligated.

All of you are so sure interested recruits jump on message boards like it’s a requirement. Eugene Brown may be smart enough to judge the program by 15-20 other things before it comes down to reading posts of idiots on message boards.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, Tentozen, tlp63 and 4 others like this.
  15. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $391
    Two things can be true at the same time.
    David Woods is an excellent writer and its rare you get someone with his experience to cover a small private school.

David Woods is routinely negative / casually pessimistic and quite stubborn on certain topics. His lead statement in his latest article is bizarre as it's not really true. Butler has hosted plenty of four star recruits compared to the number of scholarships we give out.

Overall I think the pros outweigh the cons.

16. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    Trust me David Woods loves covering Butler basketball and gets very little help from the Gannet Star.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,103
    It's basically passive aggressive complimentary journalism with direct shots at the program mixed in.

18. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $242
    Ah, beat me to it. I will take Woods over Pointer any day. I think Woods goes out of his way to be a neutral observer, and in doing so I think he crosses over too far to the negative.

19. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $474
    Can we steer this thread back to Eugene Brown and how we're going to land him?

20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,836
    Don’t read them if they annoys you