Evan Smotrycz - 2013 PF (Maryland)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109
    [align=center][size=large]Evan Smotrycz[/size]
    2013 Power Forward - 6'9" 235 lbs
    New Hampton High School - Reading, MA
    Michigan University - 2 years eligibility

[img=422x325]http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20120321&Category=SPORTS0201&ArtNo=203210443&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Loss-Evan-Smotrycz-possibly-major-setback-Michigan[/img]

Michigan Stats
    ESPN Profile (94)
    Scout Profile (4 stars)
    Rivals Profile (4 stars)[/align]

2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109
    RE: Evan Smotrycz - 2013 PF (Transfer)

He's been talked about throughout a few different threads. This obviously means that someone we expected to be back for 2012 is at least considering leaving the program.

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

I was trying to find some video on him and initially haven't been too successful. You can see some of him in most the general Michigan game highlights. The beginning of this is the closest thing I've found to focusing in on just Smotrycz.

You don't see it in the above video but he has much more natural post moves than anyone else currently on the Butler roster. Andrew Smith has developed a decent right jump hook, but everything with him still seems so forced. Smotrycz just seems much more polished and everything is more fluid. Plus he is an outstanding shooter of course.

4. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,159

Does his girlfriend really go to Butler or was that just B.S.?

5. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5

yes, his girlfriend goes here. I know her. not sure how much it will affect his decision

6. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352

You have to take him if he wants to come here. He upgrades our talent level at the PF position immensely for 2013. Shot 43% from three land and 78% from the FT line last year for Michigan. Rep on him though is he is soft and can't play D.

Notice all those A-10 schools that came out of the woodwork and have shown interest(knowing Butler is showing interest). Recruiting is going to be beyond interesting when we move.

So someone is definitely leaving? Who's your money on? Smeathers or Aldridge or Both of them?

If we take Smotrycz, I still want to take a traditional POST for 2013. We are going to still have the scholarship numbers to do it and it still is a necessity.

7. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6

I find it interesting that we may be looking at Smotrycz when it seems that we have walked away from Austin Nichols as soon as Berry signed. Both are 6'8" and will probably fill the 4 position. Smotrycz will have to sit out full year and take up a scholarship that year he doesn't play (right)? Whereas, we could get Nichols (probably too late) and have a 4 year starter.

Smotrycz has the 3 point shot capability which may improve his allure.

I am not going to guess who will leave, but I hope both Smeathers and Aldridge both leave for their sakes. Both of these guys were end of season bench sitters for a weaker than normal team. This tells me they aren't as good they need to be. I would want to play at a different mid-major or a stinker in a big-6 conf.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

I don't think it means that. It means someone is considering leaving or the staff is considering not bringing someone back, but it doesn't have to be a definite. Does anyone know if Butler guarantees redshirt's their 5th year? If not, then it might be Stigall who is the odd man out if Smotrycz comes here.

I'm guessing they walked away from Nichols because the staff felt their odds were small so it wasn't worth the investment. I'm hoping they didn't walk away if they thought they could land him just because of Berry. I would have a problem with that decision.

9. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6

Yep, me too. Austin, per a tweet, said something along the lines of Butler's interest seems to have faded as they (BU) hadn't contacted him in awhile (over a month). This was back in early Jan. or Feb.

Has Butler ever considered not bringing someone back?

10. Mr 224

Mr 224 New Member

Money:
    $5

To your question at the end, I don't know, but that would be a hard situation for the players and coaches. Personally, I like Smeathers and I think he has a lot of potential. I thought Aldridge had some great moments this year and I think he would come back much improved next season. I was disappointed in Stigall's production, as he struggled to hit shots. If Stigall were the odd man out, that would be hard to do to a guy going into his last year. With how badly the shooting was this year, the incoming freshmen will probably get ample opportunity to get playing time.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

I really don't know. If they told a kid that he is guaranteed 4/5 years, then you can be sure they aren't going to go back on that for basketball reasons (only academic/attitude reasons). I have no idea what they tell someone when he redshirts. If it is something along the lines of "You probably won't play this year, we would like to redshirt you and then you have the opportunity to earn a 5th year with your play," then I am 100% in favor of not bringing Stigall back if we can get Smotrycz and nobody is transferring out. I just think he is going to be buried on the depth chart and only see marginal playing time. I would be surprised if Stevens does that though.

12. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6

Reading between the lines on the David Woods Indy Star Blog about "Debunking The Transfer Rumors." Brad Stevens said no one has approached their staff about transferring out of Butler. Jackson Aldridge's name was mentioned, but Stevens said he was unaware of Aldridge's thoughts of transferring.

What I think is more interesting is the omission of any statement around Evan Smotrycz transferring to Butler. You know David Woods and Brad Stevens had to discuss this a little, but I'm guessing David was asked to keep that info confidential until the decision is made. While we are pretty certain Butler is one of the few schools Evan is investigating, it would be nice to get a little more scoop on the situation.

13. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623

I was told by two people that I trust know what they are talking about, that Smotrycz WILL transfer to Butler if there's a spot.

There may even be some outside possibility without one.

You make sure there's a scholarship for him.

14. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6

I agree. He seems more like a sure thing to come here. We are still waiting on PG's Jackson and Sina, Fuller, Ojeleye, Hayes, and others, to make a decision. Fuller probably will want to stay in Wis. Ojeleye is getting too much attention from Wis and Kansas for Butler probably. Jackson will probably go to ND due to his buddy Beacham. I would rather get Smotrycz at this point along with Sina to round out the class of 2013. Still, we need a "spot." If no one is thinking about transferring, I am not so confident we'll get him. How about an academic scholarship for 2012?

15. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623

Butler isn't really on Fuller from the sound of it. It appears hell likely end up at Creighton. Iowa has started looking at him.

Butler has never been relevant with Jackson.

You're looking at Sina, Davenport, Morris. I think they'll add to that after the April periods are over.

16. WKT1955

WKT1955 Member

Money:
    $55

Any scholarship to a recruited athlete is counted as an athletic scholarship no matter what you call it. The rule is designed to prevent exactly what you propose. You may not have been serious, but absent the rule, Kentucky would have 10 basketball studs on "academic " scholarships.

17. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5

that could be HUGE. I feel like Brad and co. will for sure leave a spot open for him if he wants to come to Butler. Wouldn't they?

18. Jon in NC

Jon in NC New Member

Money:
    $5

Just to be clear: A kid on an academic scholarship can walk on to the team without it counting against the allotted number of scholarships for the team.

UNC routinely has walk-ons who are also Morehead-Cain Scholars at the far end of its bench and who only see mop-up time. Those kids would never be allowed near the team if it was going to cut into the number of 5-star and 4-star players Roy Williams could bring in.

On the other hand, the academic scholarship can count against the allotted number, and does, if the basketball program actively recruited the player.

19. WKT1955

WKT1955 Member

Money:
    $55

Exactly. And Barlow is eligible for academic scholarships at Butler because he was not a recruited athlete. The point is, once the staff recruits a kid, he is not eligible for a scholarship that doesn't count against the athletic limit. And Smotrycz is being recruited.

20. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811

So how does all this work with what they call preferred walk-ons? I would think that it would be hard to say that someone in that situation was not recruited.