Evan Smotrycz - 2013 PF (Maryland)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623
    RE: Evan Smotrycz - 2013 PF (Transfer)

Why do people take offense to that?

Butler and Bras Stevens are poor recruiters. They just are. Most of it is by choice and not participating in all the things that go on "under the surface" of summer ball.

You can't have it both ways. You can't derive whatever pride you get from believing that Butler is something different, while ignoring what those difference cause.

This Smotrycz thing is a tidy example. Do you think Scott Drew who is (not) coincidentally among that list would "pass", given the circumstances? You may not like his methods but Drew is an excellent recruiter.

Action -> Reaction , Cause -> Effect.

2. bujet15

bujet15 New Member

Money:
    $5

They are just too honest. Brad & Co. took a look at trey burke and told him he would have to play for his spot! now trey is making the decision whether to go to the nba or not....

3. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,159

About time to move this thread to the archive list. Never gonna get this guy. We have no scholarships available for the upcoming season. So if what was posted was true.....why did Stevens and Butler ask Michigan for permission to chat with Smotrycz? On the hope that someone would transfer? Or that Smotrycz would be so enamored with B.U. that he would pay his own way for one year as a walk on? Dream on. I'h betting Smotrycz doesn't realize that walk-ons can get significant PT at Butler under Stevens. Or does that comment conflict with the so-called "excellent" recruiting skills of this staff? Seems to me that this is a guy that you wouldn't want to pass on if he really wanted to come here....even if it means stepping on a few toes or making some compromises. Have to agree with Title. This staff lacks a lot on the recruiting (and creative) side. I don't care how many player "lists" you want to put together......we can and should be doing much better on this front. Still can't even get a kid from Marion County, after two runs to the Final Four. Can't get a decent 5. Move to archives. Smotrycz is history.....and not a done deal. Another build up....another disappointment. Aren't there some more point guards available?

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,796

Wow...two runs to the championship game and now we've developed into a "big boy basketball" fanbase that is willing to roll around in the AAU dirt and find "creative" ways to shove players out the door who haven't met expectations. I'd like to know what some of you find acceptable/non acceptable in the recruiting game? "Forgetting" the non contact dates? Exceeding the phone call limits? Finding someone to "underwrite" a long distance unofficial visit? Thank goodness this staff doesn't dance on the edges--it's a slippery slope.

5. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352

I don't know about all that. This staff has incredible integrity and the fanbase backs them. Most posts are valid IMO. The staff themselves are undoubtably asking themselves the same questions. Can this guy play?

My biggest problem heading into next season is the 4/5 positions. I thought we got hammered in the Horizon League by numerous teams. Same players coming back next year. I've wanted a PF for 2012 to be added in the April recruiting period. Is that going to happen? Probably not, but if we want to be Nationally Competitive next season it might be a necessity. I can't even imagine Smith/Fromm/Woods and Marshall going up against the frontlines of the teams that made the Elite Eight or Final Four. Just a mismatch across the board. I have kind of resigned myself to the fact that we aren;t going to get any new blood there till 2013 though.

My second problem and I guarantee you the coaches are worried about this also. Did we make a mistake in the recruitment of Andy Smeathers? Can he play at this level? I know a few Center Grove people and they were suprised we took him. In hindsight the guy we may should have took was the rugged 6'8 PF Joe Reed off that team for 2012. He's going to IPFW, but could probably play at a higher level. He had a very good senior season.

I think both of these issues are valid concerns. I am not into the idea of running off players either, but I will say this. Mistakes are made in recruiting all the time across the country and Butler isn't immune to that. The question becomes how do you fix it.

6. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623

When I play chess, I do not randomly determine I'm not going to use my knight for some reason unknown to all but me.

I have no idea why people are happy (and have some misplaced pride) with Butler doing, effectively, just that.

What do people want? They want them to stop making up their own rules that only they follow. In chess, it would be idiotic. What would it be, in something that translated to real money?[hr]
    I don't know if they are worried about Smeathers or not. But, he's at least got a D1 skill, shooting the ball. And, he has some length and athletism to work with.

Now, Aldridge might just be in over his head. He's done growing. He is sort of what he is. And, his skillset just isn't very good.

7. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623

By the way, did everyone notice Xavier announced Griffin McKenzie's transfer on the same day Smotrycz list came out?

8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109

At least multi-year scholarships will fix a lot of this as it relates to the Smotrycz situation.

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,881

I would like to see Butler as a Top 20-25 program every year. I don't have some grand illusion that they should be playing in the Final 4 every year, but there's nothing wrong with expecting them in the tournament most every year and sweet sixteen type success on a fairly consistent basis. However, to maintain that success consistently, sometimes you have to do things that are contrary to the program's "norm". The things that are being suggested be done in the overall recruiting approach for Butler are not only not illegal. They aren't even unethical.

For example, if you were employed at a place of business and performed a lousy job and didn't show much promise, but were a good citizen and other than your actual work product were a fine representative of the company, would it really be wrong of your employer to have you seek employment elsewhere so they could bring someone in that could perform the necessary tasks for which you're being paid?

Major college sports are, in essence, a business and are one of, if not the largest sources of revenue for not just the athletic department but for the entire University. That is the case with Butler Basketball. If we are happy with having runs of success followed by lean years because we hang onto under or nonperformers or are unwilling to step outside our recruiting "bubble" of rules, then I believe as a program, Butler is just fine doing what it does. But, to make that next step, sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Now whether that is displacing ticket holders from their usual spots based on contributions, renovating Hinkle, changing conferences or changing some of the normal recruiting practices in order to ensure the program's (and really the entire University as a whole) continued viability and success, not just on a local level, but a national one, those are the decisions that Barry and Brad are paid to make. I certainly hope they're the right ones, but sometimes it's very difficult to see the reasoning behind the decisions (or non-decisions) for us as fans, especially when the answers can appear to be fairly obvious.

Sorry about the long-winded rant. That's just what I do sometimes.

10. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,159

Gee fella, nothing you said had any thing remotely related to my comments. Where did I say "shove" anyone out the door. Nor did I say anything about getting slimy or being illegal, or phone calls or the AAU or illegal visits. You just pulled that stuff out of your a$$. I just questioned why we even contacted the guy in the first place, knowing there were no spots available. And there were a lot of reasons we made it to back to back Final Fours. Luck (with the bracket match ups) had a hell of a lot to do with it. And opponents injuries. Yep, we were pretty good, but the stars sure aligned for us in a big, big way. Thinking differently is like, well, not being able to accurately read a posting. Sorry about wishing for a 5. OMG, I guess I must be one of those who fall in to the "Big Boy Basketball" category. Always thought it was somewhat of an advantage to have a little height in the paint. Guess I forgot that we play in the 6 - 8 and under league. And if by some chance we do get a player like 6 - 11 Smith, let's make them a 3 - point threat. Like you said, thank goodness for this staff.

11. pmb72

pmb72 New Member

Money:
    $5

Last year's class was disappointing in the short term. Long term? I haven't a clue. I think the coaching staff, especially Stevens, must have learned a lot from that experience. I can live with those results for one more year. Can the program do better on the recruiting trail? I hope so. Bo Ryan is a pain in our side. He loves the same kind of player. I hated losing out on Uthoff from Iowa. Bo loves him. The redshirt was not a slam against him. There would be no Smeathers without losing out on Jared. Semi, I suspect Bo will get him. Virginia loves our kind of player. We are battling stiff competition for our player profiles. We may have to get more aggressive if we want to get the few jewels that may fall into our laps.

12. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109

The only one I was disappointed with was Aldridge. Jones production was right around what was expected and Woods is earlier in his development curve than I thought he would be. I didn't expect anything out of Smeathers whatsoever in year 1 (I actually don't expect much out of him whatsoever. I've always viewed him as a lottery ticket type player).

13. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5

I was saying from the beginning that I didn't think Aldridge was that good. Everyone else was saying "Give him time" and everyone was "so impressed" with him early in the season. CHD is gonna be a huge upgrade. I just don't see how Aldridge fits in with the team next season

14. BUcheer

Money:
    $8,796

Baddog--most of what I said was not directed at you specifically, although I can see how you thought that as it did follow your post. You did suggest making compromises or stepping on someone's toes in order to allow for a situation like Smotrycz's which I referenced as "shoving someone out the door". If I somehow misunderstood your intent, I apologize.

Your question about why Butler contacted him in the first place is a good one. Maybe it was just to get in the door early while options were being explored. Maybe the staff did test the waters with some kids, I don't know. I'm guessing no one here does either.

My "big boy basketball" comment had nothing to do with size. It was aimed at those who seem to think that the sooner Butler gives up its antiquated recruiting/roster management ways and adopt the big kid's rules then we'll be unstoppable.

Title-do you really want to use Xavier as an example of who Butler should emulate? (if that's what you were suggesting?)

15. pmb72

pmb72 New Member

Money:
    $5

Butlerway, let me be clear, I put more weight on your pulse of college ball than mine. I'm a 57 year old fan from afar. I don't think that this team should have to wait two, three years for development unless it's a big man. Woods is worth the gamble. Rosie has proved himself already in my eyes. I can live with the shortcomings. I don't think we have to reach with guys like Smeathers and Aldridge. I could be totally wrong.

16. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6

I don't think anyone here remotely condones "sneaky" recruiting. I think we all respect the compliant method Butler coaches recruit. I think many of us are surprised by the lack of recruiting ROI the past 2 Championship runs have delivered for BU. I am still unimpressed with all four freshmen that joined the team in 2011. Not one of them is a complete player. They all are just a "piece" in a puzzle at this point (situational players). RJ is the best, but no shot outside of 6 feet and can't shoot FT's. He is an end of game liability. Teams will foul him (or Kam) anytime BU has the lead with 2-3 minutes to go. Anyway, I think Brad and staff has to get aggressive to start landing more Top 100 players. I'm not saying they aren't! I'm just saying they have major uphill challenges (more than Big Six Conf Teams) in landing top talent. I could create a list of these challenges, but I'll save that for a later post.

I ran track at Butler. There was a guy on our team that was a total bust. For three years he ate up a full ride scholarship. Coach sat him down at the end of each seasons and told him he was underperforming. While our coach didn't strip him of the scholarship, he finally quit the team and freed up extra money. This helped us out tremendously as Coach landed a stallion, out of state long distance runner. If they haven't already, the coaches need to be frank with Aldridge and Smeathers. Especially after BU starts landing recruits that are all in the Top 100 for the next three years!

17. pair of 4s

pair of 4s New Member

Money:
    $5

i would expect that aldridge's attitude, in time, would allow him to improve on his shortcomings to where he can help. he simply was not exposed to enough quickness in his background. unlike dellavedova or greenwood, who had to learn savvy from the get-go, jackson was quicker than his regular competition and developed a very straight ahead game. he will have to develop change of pace and deception. if he went to another mid-major he would end up solid. he can here, but the timing of things may mean only one good year, because i do expect chd to be better.

the thing is, one off-season of crazy hard work can change a lot. let's see who is willing to do it.

yes, smeathers can shoot and had raw athleticism, but does he have the drive and intensity for this program. his numbers at the grove always seemed like he must have been a little in and out with the concentration. he still has no idea how to get open, and makes no use of the athleticism and handle with a driving game. we shall see. i am pleased they both seem to be showing the guts to stay.

don't chalk it all up to uthoff. they could have offered aaron white also. you think he would have helped?

it just seems they got a bit full of themselves after hearing how great they were after hearing about how they spotted under-the-radar talent, and have made mstakes...which also may include the efforts and risk with zeller and carlino.

they're human, and these things move in cycles, so i expect the program to rebound. however, i am supremely sad there is not a hard-nosed interior presence on the way to help insure a good year for clarke

18. BUcheer

Money:
    $8,796

Everyone here does realize that the staff is recruiting kids to play at Butler, right? Small school, tougher admissions policy, no giant football stadium where kids chant your name when you visit, outdated Fieldhouse, no fancy practice facilities, no assigned tutor/babysitter to make sure you show up for class, Horizon League, overshadowed by IU/PU, etc. Those things right there just eliminated about 75% of the top 100.

I suppose if they'd had a crystal ball they could have sold some of those top 2011 kids on the idea of playing for the 2 time national runner up and turned some heads. I do think they have used those runs to bring in an upgrade in talent--Dunham, Berry, Clarke. Hopefully that uptick continues.

19. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623

Thankfully that Horizon League problem won't be an issue anymore.

The Horizon League is about as marketable as parkas in Miami.

20. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811

Several people are talking about the lack of recruiting after two Final Four appearances. But I'm pretty certain that the freshmen this past season all committed/signed after the first Final Four appearance. As many people have said, it takes time to develop relationships with potential recruits, so I'm not sure that we should have expected a whole lot with the type of recruits that we got in 2011 (However, it would have been nice to get Aaron White). Now after the second Final Four appearance, we ended up with a transfer who was a Top 100 recruit, another Top 100 recruit, and two others who were 1st Team All-State in Michigan and a Player of the Year in his Division in Florida; and that second Final Four appearance garned another Top 100 recruit for 2013; so for a mid-major (and yes, we are a mid-major) I think we haven't done bad. Now would I like to see a 6-10 stud commit, of course. But I think we need to wait and see what we get with the other 2013 recruits before we start saying that back-to-back Final Four appearances haven't helped with recruiting.