Fair Pay to Play Act

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by seadawg, Sep 12, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,348
    I think the constitutional claim is a weak argument, but the NCAA was successful using the same line to attack a Nevada regulation that required the NCAA to do certain things whenever it was punishing a Nevada member.

The big difference here is that California is not regulating the NCAA the way Nevada tried to do. It's only regulating schools within its state and not placing a burden on the NCAA. Practically we know that the NCAA will feel pressure here to change its rules, but neither it nor its non-California members are being forced to do anything.

Oddly enough, I think California's action here is likely to be appealing to both conservative and liberal judges - for very different reasons - and that will make the NCAA's constitutional challenge even more difficult. It all becomes moot, anyway, if Congress takes similar action to California, and it looks like they may.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  2. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $267
    It will be interesting to see what happens when a highly touted, paid player, doesn't perform and how that program is influenced from the outside. Scholarships are year to year. Caleb Love just committed to UNC. Insurance company in Chapel Hill commits to "paying" love $250K for his likeness. Love has a so-so FR year, and the insurance company does not want to pay him for year 2.
    1. If another business doesn't step up, Love is forced to peddle his "likeness" to the highest bidder at another program?
    2. The insurance company finds the next top PG and shoves all in on Khristian Lander.
    It seems crazy, but what would stop this? I am fully aware coaches recruit over players all the time. But, this would be an outside influence that is making calls on behalf of the program and University.

This is the part that I cannot understand. Agents will run college sports. Using Love as an example, any agent that signs Love will immediately use Loves name to sign up any and every other scholarship level athlete and package them as a deal. UNC wants Love. "OK, we'll work out the $250K deal for Love and what will you do for my other clients. If you cannot find a way to pay for all my clients, someone else will." At the end the Agent will make their 3% from the athletes and money from the Universities and sponsors.

3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,348
    I guess I'm fundamentally OK with most of that. And there are ways for states and maybe the NCAA to reduce some of the negative consequences that are coming with this fundamental shift in the athlete-university relationship.

To me it's far worse for universities, shoe and apparel companies, tv networks and the NCAA itself to be making money off the backs of its athletes while also telling the athlete that he or she is not allowed to make money. The free-education-is-payment-enough argument has never held water for me. I've seen too many athletes struggle to keep up with the competing demands of their coaches and academic life, with the coaches' expectations almost always winning. We always celebrate the kids who manage to do both really well. We never talk about the much larger group of students who are seriously struggling with it all or who end up making life altering decisions (switching from a hard science to a less demanding liberal arts major, for example) to stick with their sport.

I also start from the unpopular perspective that it'd be great if colleges and universities got out of the sports business altogether - especially serving as the minor league for the NBA and NFL. And yes, it is hypocritical of me to continue following college sports. Hey, I'm human and at times contradictory. But as long as they're in the business of playing my favorite sport to watch - basketball - I will stay plugged in.

MasterSplinter and fdr like this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    This kind of feels like the Olympics to me. If you're good enough to get paid by Oakley sunglasses or Nike shoes, then you've earned the paycheck but you don't lose your amateur status playing the game. It allows the shoe/promotional companies to pay the kids now that are going to get paid later anyway.....and it allows the NCAA to make money off of them for however many years they play college. It's the same reconstituted greed that's already happening until they don't want to pay for your celebrity any more.

5. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,289
    Some q-score management by the NCAA would be nice

6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    Don't disagree that's one way to measure, but if we see more of a push toward endorsement deals for players and time-on-screen for brands, Joyce Julius may be better suited for that. It's been their bread and butter for a long time.

7. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $539
    Anybody else think it is a bit ironic that people were willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars and will go to prison so their children could go to and get a USC degree, and California says, a USC degree is really no big deal?
    For a school like Butler I would think this is a potentially devastating development. Unless there are a lot more fat cats on this board than I suspect there are, how do we win a recruiting battle with IU if Mark Cuban, e.g decides to devote 10 million per year to have a good basketball team and sponsor players to the tune of 1/2 million per player? And IU would be small potatoes compared to the type of money in LA, or Texas, or North Carolina or Duke. Moreover, we are in conference with New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. money.
    Then would come the inevitable Title 9 lawsuits because how many women players can demand the big money?
    I believe the reason that much of the restrictions were taken on summer jobs was because LA players were reputed to have very high-paying, no show jobs in the movie studios, or for car dealerships, as I recall.
    Butler is a good school and Indy is cool, but if I give a player a half a million reasons to go elsewhere, I suspect that many players just might find the other school good enough ( since the college education is secondary or irrelevant according to California.) Lastly, don't decry raising an entitled generation if we are afraid to say 'Pay your dues like everyone else has."
    I really do not see how this ends well for us.

tlp63 likes this.
  8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
    It ends very very badly for us, and a lot of other small universities in "flyover" country.

9. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $311
    It wouldn't surprise me to see a California school with a previously bad program suddenly get really really good. Cal Poly Mustangs NCAA champions in 2024.

Hinkle likes this.
  10. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $415
    I think the universities and their corporate/private team sponsors will act well before it gets to this stage and essentially go full on professional contracts and sign players to term deals. This essentially hedges against the power of agents auctioning off likeness. You could argue that likeness will sell better in bigger markets, and they have an inherent advantage but that's the same for the NBA yet you don't see anyone complaining that KD went to Brooklyn and not back to OKC (ok maybe other than OKC fans) to take advantage of his likeness.