Favorite All-Time Butler Player?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jul 7, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,465
    Shelvin or Rosie with Nored a close third.

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,528
    No particular order but Freeport Willie, Barlowe, Vanzant and Dr. Drew. Going back further Fitz, Burris and Norris and Mason.

Sidd Finch likes this.
  3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Steve Norris was a hell of an athlete, Indiana All Star and held the state record in the high jump for several years. He passed several years ago, a victim of ALS. He was a
    friend and good man to boot.

Insane Dawg and seadawg like this.
  4. seadawg

Money:
    $3,528
    He was an amazing athlete at 5'8" and could shoot with deep range with the best.

5. ButlerFan96

ButlerFan96 Member

Money:
    $97
    seadawg likes this.
  6. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $186
    I had an affinity for Kam Woods. I miss that guy.

joliebeth23 and jeff like this.
  7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    AJ Graves. A bit overrated as a shooter, but I still wear my #4 jersey I got back in 2007.

Best 5:

Howard (Gordon more talented, but Matt the better 4-year player)
    Hayward
    Mack
    Kelan
    Kamar

joliebeth23 and Sidd Finch like this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    Howard #1 is easy. From there on it’s tough. Probably Shelvin #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,976
    Being a ‘71 grad of Carmel I am biased toward Billy. The story about Theofanis is correct as I remember it. Billy would have been a clear leader in his last 2 years under ANY other head coach. He was as good a passer as he was a shooter. He had tremendous floor vision.

He was also offered by Wooden at UCLA. And, he played a few years in the ABA.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

chc3 likes this.
  10. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $19
    1. Howard
    2. Streicher
    3. Lightfoot
    4. Campbell
    5. Polk
    6. Crone

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sidd Finch and seadawg like this.
  11. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    1. Jamie Smalligan

*HUGE GAP*

2. Brandon Miller
    3. Joel Cornette
    4. Pete Campbell
    5. Matt Howard
    6. Mike Green
    7. AJ Graves
    8. Thomas Jackson
    9. Mike Monserez
    10. Freeport Willie

I have an affinity for the teams from my youth. I was just shy of my 12th birthday when Brandon Miller hit that runner against the Thunder Dunkers. He was my hero. I loved everybody on that '02 team. Hell, that could've been my list.

And also quite a bit of guys from the '06 and '07 teams. I'd argue the '07 team is the best in Butler history. They would give the '09 boys a run for their money. That 7 seed is still bullshit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    joliebeth23 likes this.
  12. Shark

Shark Member

Money:
    $66
    1: Veasley
    2: Marshall
    3: Howard
    4: Nored
    5: Miskel
    6: Katara Reliford/Marcel Kon
    7. Jon (John?) Karaffa
    8. Agent Zero Etherington
    9. Brandon Miller
    10. Vall

(if it isn't obvious, I have a bias toward players that the other team's fans wanted to threaten to fight in the alley after the game while being WAY too chicken to actually face them in the alley after the game, plus a few player from games my Dad took me to as a younger guy)

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,644
    Most lists correlate to the age of the one making the list but by far the most exciting Dawg of all time and inch for inch the best ever was Billy Shepard. Hinkle’s last game coaching Billy was the greatest college game ever played in Hinkle.

Other favorite players that won’t make many lists because of youth on this board would include Jeff Blue, Chapman and Ed Schilling all three of whom would physically hurt anyone on our current roster. Those three would leave you bruised for life.

Staxawax likes this.
  14. seadawg

Money:
    $3,528
    Mike Marshall was the toughest BU player ever. Lightfoot perhaps the most underrated. Barring the foot injury he could have very well been league MVP. Polk was an outstanding JC transfer but on a mediocre team. Archbold delivered BU from the "dark ages" as much as anyone. IHMO

Sidd Finch likes this.
  15. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    I forgot about Archbold, but he was as important as anyone for return of Butler Basketball.

16. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Matt Howard. Tough as nails. Academic All American. Made teammates way better. The embodiment of the Butler Way.

17. seadawg

Money:
    $3,528
    No question about Matt being the GOAT. The original question was favorites. My thinking now is players who came the furthest during the their time at BU without much fanfare. I could count on one hand the players I never cared for, but that is another rainy day topic.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  18. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    I don't know about the fanfare part, but VanZant and Lightfoot have to be way up on that list.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  19. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    1) Matt Howard. He is, far and away, the most important player to taking BU to where it is today. His signing, and then his play, changed everything. Plus, not only was he so good, he was 100% effort all the time.

2) Joel Cornette. He was also very instrumental in the trajectory of the program. Loved his intensity and heart. He might be on my list even if all he did was that dunk to win the 2001 Hoosier Classic.

3) Shelvin Mack. Pure. Money. A joy to watch.

4) Mike Marshall. The things that guy did on the court, at his size, was amazing.

5) Drew Streicher. Probably the biggest change of opinion I ever had about a BU player. From why the hell did we waste a scholarship on this guy to just loving the often subtle things he did to contribute on the court.

Honorable Mention: Chris Miskel. A 3 year starter, so he was obviously good, but, for me, it's two other things that I'm not even 100% sure about, but I believe are correct: (1) He started the trend of Academic All-Americans Butler has churned out. (2) He started the tradition of kissing the Bulldog at Center Court on Senior Day.

If I'm wrong about those 2 things, forget him. He's dead to me. ;)

joliebeth23 and bmradio99 like this.
  20. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    Joel Cornette, Brandon Miller, Brandon Crone, Pete Campbell, Mike Green, A.J. Graves, Matt Howard, Chase Stigall, Roosevelt Jones, Rotnei Clarke, Kelan Martin, Andrew Chrabascz, Paul Jorgensen

Not always (but often) the best player on the court, but the ones I enjoyed watching during a game. I think Matt Howard is my favorite of all time.