Favorite All-Time Butler Player?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jul 7, 2019.

1. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $155
    1. Matt Howard, GOAT.
    2. Pete Campbell - his Campbell Clusters got my wife interested in Butler basketball.
    3. Rosie Jones
    4. Andrew Chrabascz
    5. Gordon Hayward
    6. Shelvin Mack
    7. Mike Green
    8. Mike Monserez
    9. Brandon Miller
    10. Mike Marshall

This actually got really hard after the top 3-4. A lot of important players in the development of Butler basketball since I've been watching (1998-now).

2. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $354
    1. Kelan Martin
    2. Rylan Hainje
    3. Matt Howard
    4. Rose Jones
    5. Gordon
    6. Shelvin
    7. Thomas Jackson
    8. Brandon Miller
    9. Joel Cornette
    10. Mike Green

3. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $967
    1) Matt Howard - Whether it's cliched or not, he is the poster boy for "The Butler Way". He gave 100% on the court the second he stepped into Hinkle for the first time and he ALWAYS contributed something, even if the box score did not reflect it.

2) Rose Jones - The greatest combination of unorthodox style and talent I've ever seen at Butler. He just found a way to score and his presence was felt in every facet of the game. One word...Gonzaga!

3) Alex Barlow - If you can go from walk-on to scholarship player and leave a lasting memory in every Butler fan's head, you've sure as hell done something right. Hitting the game winner against #1 IU at Bankers Life was an all-timer for me.

4) Gordon Hayward - The most talented player I've ever seen and the one who has had the most success professionally. A short stint on campus but he earned his success and was a standout from day 1.

5) Rotnei Clarke - Even shorter stint than Hayward, but man this kid could shoot. When I watch Steph Curry and he steps over the half court line, I always say to myself someone needs to get on him because he can hit from anywhere...in hindsight, that was Rotnei Clarke.

4. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,039
    My faves include those that I have actually seen in person.

Jon Neuhouser - Dude could flat out play and that 1996-97 team (my senior year) got back in the NCAA tourney, had close losses to #5 Villanova and #13 Indiana. That team was fun to watch and a harbinger of things to come.
    Matt Howard - To me, he is Butler Basketball.
    Rose Jones - See above.
    The entire 1999-2000 team. **** Mike Miller.
    Rotnei Clarke

joliebeth23 likes this.
  5. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,269
  6. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,986
    How many of us would have put Hayward #1 if he had made “the shot”?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,753
    Bruce Horan, Joel Cornette, Campbell, and Archie are my old school guys, but how can you not love Howard, Rosie, Mack, Hayward, and Ron! But I like the players for who they were also as much as the game, so Smith, Wideman, Chrabs, and Barlow were impossible not to be on the favorite list for me also. Woodson, Jorgs, and Clarke were my favorite short timers for deadly shooting and fire and just seemed to also be great guys. I also like all the other New Castle connection guys, but they were from where I was born, so I had to rout for them!

8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,802
    In no particular order:

Joel Cornette
    Matt Howard
    Shelvin Mack
    Andrew Chrabascz
    Thomas Jackson

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,189
    1). Matt Howard. For all the reasons listed plus 3 time Academic AA and AA of the year in ‘11.
    2). Bobby Plump. Gave BU some much needed panache at a time they desperately needed it—was highly recruited and chose the Bulldogs. Could argue he and teammates created momentum for the first NCAA team (‘62).
    3). Billy Shepherd. Another highly touted IN kid (Mr. Basketball) who chose BU over the big state schools. Brought the crowds back to Hinkle and gave Tony Hinkle a memorable ending to his coaching career.
    4) Ron Nored. A tremendous representative of the program at a time all eyes were on BU. Great interviewee who gave voice to all things good about BU. Great teammate.

joliebeth23 and Insane Dawg like this.
  10. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    I made my list based solely on players I actually got to see play basketball. I wish I could have seen players like Bobby Plump and Billy Shepherd.

joliebeth23, kmacker69 and BUcheer like this.
  11. Michdog

Michdog Active Member

Money:
    $203
    Rob Walls - For giving Joel Cornette his shoes after he knocked over the water cooler against Louisville.

12. Michdog

Michdog Active Member

Money:
    $203
    ...... And Pete Campbell - for getting Bill Raftery to say "Mmm Mmm good" after hitting 3 after 3.

DawgFan and kmacker69 like this.
  13. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Active Member

Money:
    $207
    In no particular order... Jeff James, Jamie Smalligan, and Nolan Berry. All three were simply dynamic. I wish all three had one year of eligibility left.

14. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    Tom Bowman
    Jeff Blue
    Gerry Williams
    Ken Pennington
    Bobby Plump
    Ted Guzek

seadawg likes this.
  15. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $116
    They're still deciding their next destinations: Oberlin, Berea, Our Lady of Perpetual Flatulence, and UTPS (University of Toronto at Parry Sound.)

seadawg likes this.
  16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,577
    The legend of Sasquatch Smalligan continues to grow.

17. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Matt Howard, Kellen Dunham, Alex Barlow, Shelvin Mack, Paul Jorgensen.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
  19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,006
    I don’t know what happened in that game so maybe this is naive, but the best Butler game ever in Hinkle was Butler/Gonzaga.

From Gameday coming, to the kid drilling the half court shot, there was just something in the air. Butler was down its best player and the best shooter in basketball that year, and still took down a 1-seed on a miracle play. When Barlow travels, Butler’s win probability had to be 1% or less, and yet they found a way. Incredible night.

jeff, jkcdawgs, DawgPoundMac and 10 others like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,711
    It was Hinkle’s last game and there had to have been 17,000 people in attendance as the bleachers were full and so was the track on top. Butler lost to Notre Dame 121-114. Austin Carr had 50 for ND and Billy Shepard had 38.

Other great games I saw were when BU beat Michigan ranked number 3 with Cazzie Russell and taking down IU coached by Bobby Knight.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019