Favorite All-Time Butler Player?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jul 7, 2019.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,189
    PSU—you might be both naive and still right about BU/Gonzaga:) There’s definitely recency bias and people tend to think if they witnessed it, the event was a bigger deal. But Insane is right about what Hinkle's last game meant in that era. There was also a pre-game ceremony to honor Tony, so the emotion and nostalgia was palpable in the fieldhouse that night. Think it’s impossible to say there is a best game ever in Hinkle as the impact can’t be judged equally if from different eras.

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,301
    Obviously the greatest game in Hinkle was Hickory vs. South Bend Central.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,577
    One has to wonder about KB's legacy. He will certainly be under consideration for the most complete guard to ever play at BU.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,006
    A Top 5 list of best games then?! :)

BUcheer likes this.
  5. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,986
  6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,508
    I once took a shot with Bobby Plump at his bar in Broad Ripple.

7. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $227
    But I'm sure it wasn't his last...

DawgPoundMac, Tentozen and shoeevv like this.
  8. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $759
    Gotta win some games this season. He’s definitely in my Top 10, but great players win. They win big. I’d be disappointed with anything less than a Sweet 16 this upcoming season. I think Butler has the pieces, it’ll just be interesting to see how the squad gels.

I think people significantly are underestimating how difficult it is to be on a team with a kid who wants to play at the big school an hour down the road. Also, I think Tucker definitely had issues starting in the middle of the season, and it completely botched the rotation, which LaVall will need to figure out.

9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,577
    KB has always reminded me of slightly taller version Wayne Burris.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    He was such an elite freshman, but the reality is he hasn't developed all that well in the couple of years since. He's not been quite the defender we thought he was or might become, and since shooting over 37% from three as a freshman, he's shot 32% from long range in the aggregate during his sophomore and junior seasons. That's just plain bad for an undersized 2 guard. His 2 point percentage has also taken a big hit after an incredible 57% from 2 his freshman year. Sure, he's gotten a lot more attention in the last couple of seasons than as a freshman. But every good player experiences that, and he's gotten plenty of good looks from three that just don't go down.

Of course, if he is the player this year that we all think he can be, he can change everything.

Tentozen likes this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,869
    This is a dynamite and interesting point...You do wonder how much of that bullshit spilled onto/into the team/effot/chemistry. How many, if not all, players knew and could tell he was dragging ass and bringing the ship down with him. Ugh, good riddance.

I know it's been hit on before in discussion about him having a foot out the door and bringing crap effort while playing like crap, but you're right that can ooze all over what seemed to be a decent team early on. Looking back, his stink was all over that slide. Him and that douche bag head band.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    I can tell you with 100% certainty the other players knew during the season that he was gone. So, it's certainly not far-fetched to think it affected things.

Butlerfan96 and jkcdawgs like this.
  13. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    Matt Howard.

Most incredible player I've ever seen. Of course I'm not talking about greatest 360 dunks from the FT line or being atop 4 different All-Time NCAA individual categories. It was (is) everything together. Impossible to define but all of you here know what I'm talking about... even if he isn't among your "most favorite ever," you saw it.

Tentozen likes this.
  14. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    For me that category is topped by Shawn Vanzant. I really did not like his play as a freshman and start of sophomore years. I thought he was very selfish but figured that Stevens was telling him to play that way and that pissed me off about Stevens.

But damn, that guy ended up an incredible, unselfish, TEAM player. I really doubted he was "Butler Way" at the beginning, but by the time he played his last game I knew he was an epitome of it.

You could say he had plenty of fanfare but mostly that was because of the team's accomplishments and how much press BU got then.

seadawg likes this.
  15. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    Not me* but I know what you're saying. He's gonna be pretty high on "Favorite Player" lists anyway. That certainly wouldn't have subtracted from it!

*I couldn't. Matt Howard is Butler Basketball recast in the form of a man.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  16. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,228
    Kelan, Shelvin, Rose, Matt, Joel ... And about 15 other players. I have too many to name! Chris Miskel because he was always a great guy to talk to and hang out with. Travis Trice for the same reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

17. Staxawax

Money:
    $9,986
    Should have been 2 categories...... 20th century and current century.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,802
    What about players like LaVall who fall in both categories?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

godogs91 likes this.
  19. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $719
    Shawn Van Zant

20. Staxawax

Money:
    $9,986
    Last year they played.