FBI Investigation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Sep 26, 2017.

1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,020
    Tyler and Cody did not choose BU but the Dawgs whooped that ass twice when they played.:p

DawgPoundMac, Mad_Dawg 48 and DawgsMD like this.
  2. seadawg

Money:
    $1,020
    Surprise! NCAA finds little against NC. No sanctions...

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,645
    Yet they sanction Braxton Beverley for taking an accredited course at Ohio State before transferring to NC State. The NCAA has lost total credibility these past few weeks.

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $646
    Yeah, this is an incredibly disappointing day. While the NCAA really isn't in a position (because the University Presidents wouldn't allow them to) to rule on academic scandals, at the very least, the school (not the entire university) should have had its accreditation revoked and a portion of its federal funding suspended. If you're an NC State fan today, I wouldn't blame you if you want to throw things.

5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,645
    Hell I'm not even an NC State fan and I have been throwing things. At least we have the FBI that may save part of amature basketball for at least a while. The NCAA is an absolute piece of dung.

6. seadawg

Money:
    $1,020
    If you really want to clean up basketball begin with ending all AAU tournaments for any kids over age 13. Not only is it hurting HS basketball but it where this corruption and bribery begins. If not let high schools sanction teams and tournaments. It is also a huge factor in players transferring to prep schools. Ask a HS coach.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,645
    It will never be cleaned up. It's not in the interest of any of the parties involved. Obviously schools like North Carolina don't. Let's face it. North Carolina sold its soul for the money. Ditto with Louisville and others that are crooked. Why would Shoe companies, the NCAA, agents and coaches want the money to stop?

The only victims are kids who are being used and not getting an education along with those colleges and their fans that hold on to the ideal that this is amature sports. It's not nor will it ever be.

8. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,639
    How exactly was North Carolina monetarily compensated for allowing, what appears to be , a tiny amount of sham coursework to exist on campus ? Also, why do you believe the "kids" taking those classes are systemic "victims" . We can probably go through any college catalog and find what appears to be overtly dubious "self taught labs", and other examples, open to all students. It's not just athletes utilizing this non-sense coursework, and it has almost nothing to do with money.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    NCJon likes this.
  9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $646
    High Schools (both public and private) start recruiting kids and their parents in junior high and elementary school to get the best players in their school system. The reason that kids transfer to prep school because the competition is going to be consistently better than it would be at a regular high school and better prepares them for college basketball (i.e. Andrew Chrabascz his freshman season, Christian David and Aaron Thompson, IMO, this season compared to their classmates). Same reason that AAU is so popular for college coaches. They get a better idea of how good a kid is when they see him go up against other highly rated players at their position. While I don't disagree that it would help clean up the game by ending all of those tournaments, the recruiting calendar would be so much different than it is now, and would likely have to take place during the winter, when college basketball is already going on. Summer basketball isn't going to go anywhere because of that, so unless the NCAA is ready to foot the bill for these tourneys or showcases like they used to, it's just a reality.

10. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Active Member

Money:
    $324
    This type of coursework is everywhere, maybe not to the extent of UNC, but any school has “cake” classes. My high school, Butler, etc. Hell, my med school had a month long elective where you research whatever topic you find interesting and write a single 20 page report for it for the whole month, and meet with the “professor” once a week for an hour to update them on your progress. It took my one 8 hour day the entire month to write the paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,645
    But did any of them not have any classes while having the secretary do the grading?

12. seadawg

Money:
    $1,020
    All are valid points and the fact that nothing will change is most alarming.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,645
    You know nothing will change. Like Congress the NCAA will have hearings, investigations and committees that are nothing but kabuki theatre. In the meantime we will be led to believe they are getting to the bottom of this and things will change and all will be right in the world of college sports.

I have felt for sometime that college sports has reached its tipping point. The money and power the power five schools have over college sports is frightening. They are now a monopoly that controls the future of college sports.

Hopefully the Big East has found a formula to continue, at least for the remainder of my life, as a functioning amature college sports conference.

14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan New Member

Money:
    $34
    Do you mean other than the increased donations, ticket revenue, sponsorship/advertising revenue, tournament revenue and shoe money they received versus what they would have likely received if they had put an academically qualified team on the court?

PSUButlerFan and MSUDawg like this.
  15. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,639
    Okay, but my understanding is there were two female basketballers and maybe two dozen footballers over a nine year period who participated in the alleged coursework.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 3:37 PM
  16. seadawg

Money:
    $1,020
    Silver hinted this morning that the NBA may do away with the one and done rule???

17. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $615
    No way. The rule benefits the NBA.

"The desire to minimize risk is why the one-and-done rule for college athletes exists in the first place. The NBA wanted its teams to have as many chances as possible to evaluate potential high draft picks. Scouting is difficult in the best of circumstances, and evaluating teenagers who can dominate other high schoolers based purely on size and athleticism is even harder. College basketball is hardly an efficient sorting mechanism, but it does make it easier to divide the wheat from the chaff among the top prospects in the country. As far as the NBA is concerned, it doesn’t matter if players develop in the NCAA, or if the rule improves the college game. The morality of not letting 18-year olds make a living playing basketball is irrelevant. As Stern told reporters in 2012, it’s just business."

Source: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/8/8/16109744/owners-conference-realignment-adam-silver

18. seadawg

Money:
    $1,020
    Wetzel reported this also. I realize the owners would have to vote on a resolution. Silver said change was long overdue and this in response to scandal. I'm NOT saying this will happen.

19. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $615
    Just read the article. Silver didn't say much and, as you mentioned, 2/3 of the owners would have to approve any change. Personally, I just can't see them repealing it outright.

20. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,055
    If they do repeal it, it would only be to bolster the status of the G-League.