FBI Investigation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Sep 26, 2017.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,263
    Doesn’t want to ruin a potential shoe deal for his son by besmirching NIKEgon... but I guess “I do not recall” isn’t lying. Hell, I forget 5 figure offers made to me all the time

2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,263
    I know the pro players get offered amenities, which may include money, to play on certain AAU teams, but there’s no way in hell he seriously got offered $18k (or any money at all) to play for Spiece Indy Heat...

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,596
    Langford's dad was paid reportedly $100,000 or more to coach. $18,000 seems like a drop in the bucket. Far-fetched?

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,189
    The Langford situation will be interesting to follow. If it’s shown that Tim Langford violated any IRS rules with the non profit that funded his AAU team that resulted in improper benefits—look out.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,596
    Why should any of this prove surprising to the anyone. Possibly the figures are incorrect but not the scale This is the tip of the iceberg and most folks realize that. These crimes include wire fraud, bribery, and money laundering conspiracy. As I have stated in the past if BU was ever implicated in the crap I would be done with the program.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,713
    Marvin Bagley's father got over $700,000 from Nike to coach. I'm not sure what the crime would be for that.

7. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,467
    Something to keep an eye on...

8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $80
    Could be

9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,149
  10. Irishdawg

Money:
    $80
    Oh snap: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-knew-adidas-role-silvio-de-sousa-recruitment

On Sept. 19, 2017, three days before Kansas announced that it had agreed to a 12-year, $191 million contract extension with Adidas, Gassnola texted Self and thanked him for helping the sponsorship deal get done.

Self responded: "I'm happy with Adidas. Just got to get a couple real guys."

Gassnola replied: "In my mind, it's KU, bill self. Everyone else fall into line. Too [expletive] bad. That's what's right for Adidas basketball. And I know I am RIGHT. The more you win, have lottery pics [sic] and you happy. That's how it should work in my mind."

Self responded: "That's how ur works. At UNC and Duke." Gassnola replied at Kentucky as well.

"I promise you I got this," Gassnola wrote. "I have never let you down. Except Dyondre lol. We will get it right."

When Michael Schacter, Gatto's defense attorney, asked Gassnola if "Dyondre" was a reference to former Arizona player Deandre Ayton, Gassnola replied, "It is."

While there isn't any proof of these things going on at Duke, Kentucky and UNC, the fact that a program with the cache of Kansas is clearly engaging in these practices and STILL isn't pulling in the classes that Duke and Kentucky are makes it really hard to believe that they're somehow as clean as a whistle.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    BHayden and BulldogCTM like this.
  11. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,199
    Nothing is going to happen, the NCAA is powerless and will not punish Coach Rat (K) or slick talking Roy.

FriarDawg and BHayden like this.
  12. BHayden

BHayden Well-Known Member

Money:
    $485
    Some greasy, greasy stuff. Hope NCAA lays the hammer on all of the cheaters. They simply have to make an example out of these guys or college sports will look like a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,151
    If you think the NCAA is going to come at Duke and Coach K and UNC and Kentucky and Kansas, you're out of your mind. Those 4 make the sleazy Mark Emmert and NCAA millions each year. It would take something Federal to come in and do something for anything real to come down on those programs.

14. Irishdawg

Money:
    $80
    Yeah I hate to agree with the others here, but I think it's more likely this results in rule changes than penalties for the crown jewels of college basketball. The one thing this does do is bring these practices out in the open, so any BS that Coach K or anyone is willing to spread that they "do things the right way" can be shown to be patently false.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,713
    I can't come up with victims here other than the schools that don't have the huge shoe contracts. I don't see any penalties for the schools that cheat.

16. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,676
    Agreed. All this reminds me of the famous Jerry Tarkanian (long-time UNLV coach) quotation: "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they are going to give Cleveland State another year of probation."

troggy and estar20dawg like this.
  17. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,199
    Cleveland State six more years of probation.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  18. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Here in Kansas, the Kansas City Star has been all over the the trial and the silence coming out of KU is “deafening”. New AD and new Chancellor (who I met; former Navy Surgeon) went out of their way to stand by Self in the Spring when accusations started popping, based on a very soft internal review by local law firm with no written report. I would not be surprised if there is a difficult decision that may be made in Lawrence. But like all things, it comes down to where big $ alum break.

19. ArizonaXU

ArizonaXU New Member

Money:
    $37
    Unless they have audio of Self ordering money for a player, he is 100% safe. I would be shocked if they have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insane Dawg likes this.
  20. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Don’t know if I would go as far as to say 100%. Like I said earlier, KU came out strong in the spring with the whole “we were victims” narrative and have since gone quiet. The optics aren’t very good at the moment, but one thing is for sure and that is that KU definitely weren’t “victims”