FBI Investigation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Sep 26, 2017.

1. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,629
    Since the FBI is involved, I can't wait to see how far this investigation reaches, especially after all of those already named or arrested start singing like birds.

And seriously -- what will it take for people to see through the charade (at elite programs that are absurdly profitable, at least) of the "student-athlete?"

2. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,629
    Guess "Big news" is coming tomorrow morning from louisville. They already announced theyre under FBI investigation today. Slick rick done?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    He made a press release saying he knew nothing about it but was going to get to the bottom of it. So there is that.

4. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    Yeah I found it interesting he released that statement through his personal attorney and not through the University Athletic Department. My guess is he is gone.

5. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
  6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    So in the comments about Louisville, there apparently was another 2019 recruit who they were going after who had agreed to go to Louisville as a member of the 2019 class. Does anyone know if Twenty Two Vision (an Adidas AAU program who Romeo Langford plays for) is an AAU program run by Jonathan Brad Augustine? Because it seems to me to be a plausible connection if Augustine does have a connection to that AAU program.

It appears a Louisville coach discussed a payment for a 2019 recruit with Dawkins and Augustine, but noted the program needed to be "very low key" because it was already on probation.

Dawkins would help funnel the payments to Augustine, who would in turn distribute them to the recruit and his family. The plan was to pay the recruit for his commitment to Louisville.

“All my kids will be (Adidas) kids,” Augustine said.

7. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    Yeah the Dawkins stuff is really interesting, The New York Times is reporting this nugget:

"The complaints announced Tuesday also included tantalizing clues indicating that what was alleged is merely the tip of the iceberg. Dawkins, for example, urged that the payment to a player’s family be increased because one of Adidas’s rivals was “coming in with a higher number.”

This is going to get really ugly...............

8. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $235
    Jonathan Brad Augustine is based out of Florida and is program director for 1 Family.

http://247sports.com/player/balsa-koprivica-87378

Based on two minute Google search, this is player that best fits description for 2019 recruit (internet really is a lovely place sometimes).

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I think this is really interesting, because of who they got. When they get guys from Nike or Adidas, they have guys who know names, amounts etc. as alluded to earlier, those guys are going to talk. I don’t think there is a lot of question about that. I think most of the work is done for the FBI, now they just wait for names etc.
    Mark Shelvin is probably a better source than me here, but I would suspect most of the payments to recruits would be at least state and probably federal crimes because the money would have to be laundered.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,466
    I have to wonder how long this whole process is going to play out. If I'm a recruit and all of this is still going on in November there is no way I'm signing with anyone. If that happens then recruiting this spring is going to be like nothing we've seen before. I kind of hope it goes that direction, because Butler would be in a pretty nice spot as a clean program with several open scholarships.

11. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $303
    I would think that if you verbally committed to one of these schools, and possibly quite a few more as the weeks go by, I may reopen my recruitment. 2018 commits haven't signed LOI yet. I'm not saying that necessarily help Butler, but if I was one of those kids, I would reopen my recruitment immediately.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,529
    Wonder how many kids will be ruled ineligible or worse.

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,785
    All of this just makes it all the more understandable of why Brad bolted for the NBA.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,529
    I don't know about Brad but I think that is true about Bo Ryan. A few months ago Izzo spoke alluded to unethical recruiting.

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,626
    I don't want to defend the NCAA but unlike the FBI they cannot wire tap or subpoena folks to testify under oath. My guess is that those implicated will sing like canaries rather than face time in the crossbar hotel by perjuring themselves.

16. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,064
    Just now catching up on everything, but my understanding is that the criminal corruption stems from these schools being recipients of federal grant money.

Also, DA bringing this has around 93% success rate. They don't bring the circus to town unless it's a virtual slam dunk case.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,359
    I know Brad hated recruiting and now we all know why, it is a cesspool, which makes 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 even more meaning full. I am sure Butler beat a lot
    of those culprits in those two runs.

18. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $741
    I think you're right. From everything I've heard and seen from Romeo and his family it would seem totally out of character

19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,529
    You can almost assume Under Armor is involved as well. A company doesn't give $215 million to UCLA and not expect anything in return.

20. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,466
    IF this cuts down on the frequency of money being passed under the table, It will also be interesting to see if more top players decide to go overseas, where they can get paid. We know a lot of these kids have 0 interest in being in college, and there is a lot of money to be made in foreign leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg, Daddysmack and shoeevv like this.