FBI Investigation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Sep 26, 2017.

1. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    If he is fired for cause he likely isn't entitled to a buyout.

If he winds-up in front of a Federal jury he doesn't want anything that shows knowledge or CONTRITION.

2. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,169
  3. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    In response to the current situation the NCAA has ordered the immediate disbandment of the Patriot League.

UDDawg likes this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    In order to fire him for cause and/or activate the termination clause in his contract, the university will have to be able to tie him to the cheating or illegal acts. As was the case after the stripper episode, there's no evidence - yet - that Pitino was involved, only that his assistants were.

The Louisville Courier-Journal had an article up last night with Pitino's lawyer saying any attempt to fire him will be a "bare-knuckled fight." There's too much money at stake for him to walk away quietly, especially since he is no longer employable at the collegiate level.

And as someone who actually has experience in front of juries - state and federal - it's not even a slam dunk that the prosecution could get a resignation in front of the jury, let alone the reason for it, unless he admitted to wrongdoing in the resignation. If they could, the simple fact of a resignation is easy enough for a skilled defense attorney to spin.

It doesn't matter, though. It's all hypothetical because Pitino's fighting for a portion of that massive buyout at this point.

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
  6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $380
    At least we don't have to worry about our coach leaving for U of L for the next couple of weeks.

BU_NeonHat and Insane Dawg like this.
  7. Dawg4ever

Dawg4ever Active Member

Money:
    $194
    EJ Montgomery has decommitted from Auburn! Let the exodus begin

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    That's correct that is the maximum possible punishment, but it needs additional context. Based on the way the federal system works, essentially the only people who get max sentences are those that take their case to trial, lose, and have a criminal history. None of these guys have criminal records, and it's unlikely any of them will gamble with a trial. Odds are a plea arrangement to a much more lenient sentence is worked out quickly, especially if they agree to cooperate.

9. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    "The Louisville Courier-Journal had an article up last night with Pitino's lawyer saying any attempt to fire him will be a "bare-knuckled fight." There's too much money at stake for him to walk away quietly, especially since he is no longer employable at the collegiate level. "

Of course his attorney said that. He is trying to keep his client out of prison. They don't want any appearance of guilt or responsibility.

10. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,169
    This the same EJ Montgomery that played with Howard Washington at Monteverde. Don't think we were ever in the mix, but today is a new day.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  11. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,169
    I get that. But hopefully the other people in basketball are seeing what kind of numbers may be possible, especially if a judge decides to make an example of someone. I think that this will probably make folks much more likely to polish up their singing voices.

butlerdude05 likes this.
  12. Dawg4ever

Dawg4ever Active Member

Money:
    $194
  13. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    Sorta feel bad for Rick.

In all seriousness, though, let's assume the Louisville basketball program isn't disbanded for any period of time -- who takes that job? Assuming they aren't hit with penalties that will cripple them for decades, I bet they get a better coach than many on this board might think.

14. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    Hey, does anybody know if E.J. Montgomery is still committed to play for Auburn?

15. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $347
    Decommitted this morning

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    That's the thing though, these aren't the real numbers. A federal judge is bound by the sentencing guidelines and can't just up and decide to give someone the max because he wants to make an example of him. There's certainly a bit of fear-mongering going on, and maybe that will cause some coaches to perk up a bit and change behavior. But nobody is going to - or at least should be - offering to to come in and talk to the FBI without consulting a criminal lawyer, first, who would lay out that person's real exposure.

17. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    Really? Dang. I haven't seen that anywhere.

DawgsMD likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    If I were Louisville I'd want to rid myself of Pitino as quickly as I could and if necessary pay him to disappear. Look Pitino is a very smart guy. I'd be very surprised if they find any evidence tieing him to this.

In my career I had the misfortune to encounter a number of sociopaths which I believe Pitino is. Everyone of them had an innate ability to find fall guys or made certain their tracks were covered. However invariably they over reach and their personal lives crash like a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy. Pitino is crashing in the court of public opinion and probably with his familial relationships. He may live the rest of his life very rich financially but poor in what really counts.

19. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $347
    SpartanDawgs likes this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Pitino was fired.