FBI Investigation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $347
  2. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $364
  3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,271
    I'll stop with the sarcasm. The news has been posted repeatedly. I suppose folks are too excited to look back a few posts before hitting reply.

UDDawg likes this.
  4. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $364
    We knew what you were doing. You could have just let it slide but you didn't so we went along with the ride.

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,528
    This thread might still going strong by the year 2020...

6. Daddysmack

Money:
    $347
    So in order to get people to stop posting the same thing, you bring it up to get them to talk about it, so you can point out the shortcoming of others. That's so cool, I need to try that from now on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,167
  8. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,608
    Public corruption trials and sentencings? Mayors and public figures typically don't have criminal histories either and they typically receive prison time. Hardly see judges give out minimal sentences in these cases just like you acknowledge they don't hand out the maximums. Public figures. Amateur athletes/students. Degree of sophostication. If true, I can see prison time being a real possibility for the accused.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,496
    This is almost as fun as the NBA offseason.

10. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,167
  11. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,496
    Woj backing over Pitino's dead body, causing his head to explode in front of several onlookers, a la Phil Leotardo (RIP Frank Vincent)

12. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    [​IMG]

13. NCJon

Money:
    $6,271
    Public corruption and/or honest services fraud cases are typically worth in the 3 to 5 year range for the guy or gal at the top of the target list. Those who cooperate and are lower on the totem pole can often negotiate something lesser. I'm not saying they'll get minimum sentences or avoid prison. I'm saying that while 80 years may technically be the maximum for the indictment, the reality is these coaches exposure is much lower. The sentencing guidelines, which constrain judge's sentencing authority, limits their exposure significantly should they choose to plead guilty, and even more so if they cooperate.

Look, in a nearly identical case, AAU Coach Myron Piggie got 37 months - and that was with him pleading guilty but refusing to cooperate. That's a pretty good benchmark for where a lot of these could end up.

14. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,608
  15. NCJon

Money:
    $6,271
    Yeah. I can be a dick sometimes.

Daddysmack likes this.
  16. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,301
    I love this not-so-subtle tweet

17. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $258
    Pitino is the 1st domino, but more will fall. Harsh punishment will be handed down on Louisville and the other institutions, but it will take time. The FBI never moves quickly and the NCAA will only hand down institutional penalties after this process comes to a close.
    It will be interesting to see which coach takes the UL job, hoping the punishment isn't the death penalty and then who takes that coaches job and so on. Self imposing penalties won't work this time, so there is no reason to think all the implicated institutions won't play out the '17-18 season only with a cloud over their head. Albeit the situation @ UNC is not this extreme, they have played the last 2 seasons waiting for the other shoe to drop and it hasn't hurt their recruiting or results on the court.
    If all the schools implicated allow recruits to decommit without penalty, there could be some major shuffling and I could absolutely see LeVall go all-in with these recruits. I wonder if the NCAA will allow FR to move immediately if requested. Take advantage of the sleaze and sell our values and clean image to the parents. Where '18 looked bleak, this could be huge. I haven't seen any Big East programs implicated, so i'd sell against all teams within the Power 5, regardless of affiliation with the scandal or not.
    Agree with other post, this is very intriguing.

18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
  19. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,238
    If you are the UofL president (I would have said AD, but he gone), who do you replace Pitino with on the interim?
    You can't pick an AC bc one of them is likely the one that made the deal on tape... plus it's a cesspool... oh yeah and you have NCAA hanging over your head about to unleash fire & brimstone

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  20. Daddysmack

Money:
    $347
    2018 commits don't sign LOI until November. They can all decommit without penalty and I would expect all schools implicated will have a furry of decommits. The question becomes if other schools get implicated and who they will be. If I was a 2018 recruit I would be wary of power 5 schools at this point. I can't see Butler getting any of these 5 stars, but the decommit have to go somewhere which fills up scholarship spots and takes them away from 4 and 3 stars. Teams like Butler with 3 open spots next year may be sitting pretty in the spring. Xavier has 5 spots next year and only 1 commit, they may have the best spring.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app