First NET Rankings Released

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Nov 26, 2018.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,596
    The first public batch of the NCAA's NET rankings were released today.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Big East breakdown:

#29 St. John's
    #36 Creighton
    #38 Villanova
    #45 Butler
    #76 Georgetown
    #78 DePaul
    #85 Seton Hall
    #99 Marquette
    #101 Xavier
    #115 Providence

Some nonconference teams of interest: #34 IU, #69 Dayton, #80 Florida, #93 Ole Miss

Oh, also, our old friend at that state school to the east of us is #1 somehow. Also, Nebraska is #14 and apparently was #1 in an initial version that the NCAA didn't publicize (I'm assuming that based on the "Previous" column in the rankings list).

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    What a horrible way to measure teams...Loyola Mmnt, San Francisco, Radford, Georgia Southern just a few of the names quite a ways ahead of us...

UDDawg and ConnersvilleBulldog like this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,657
    College basketball fans: “Nothing could POSSIBLY be worse than the RPI!!”

Net rankings: “Hold my beer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon, pjohnsto2003, BoyGeoff and 6 others like this.
  4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,493
    I'm willing to wait until later in the season to determine if these rankings are crap, but upon first glance, yeah, they aren't great. Clearly road wins are valued, but there needs to be some additional transparency so someone can at least try and duplicate the process of how they're ranking these teams.

5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,229
    I thought this was awful at first, but upon reviewing some more established ratings that are based solely on this season with no preseason impact I am withdrawing my criticism. For example, ESPN’s SOR ranking has LMU 11th, almost identical to NET. I still think I’m going to hate some aspects of this rating, but the teams aren’t well connected yet for these to be meaningful at all. The big mistake here was even putting them out in the first place. KenPom doesn’t remove his preseason data until January for a reason.

troggy, NCJon and ButlerNut like this.
  6. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,061
    One of the things I read yesterday was that the efficiency ratings that the NET used did not count for the strength of the opponent. If so, that makes zero sense. Couple that with the cap on MOV at 10 points, and teams like Duke get minimized credit for the poundings they give to a quality opponent.

7. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $92
    Well I don’t know about this new ranking system but real time rpi has Butler at #108 with a loss to Florida and a 4-2 record. Could have sworn we won that game. I guess everyone is human and can make an error

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    troggy and dawgs2014 like this.
  8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,026
    FWIW Kenpom has BU at #26 this morning and Team rankings has at #23, IMHO the two best measures available, but just pick one you like and argue violently in its defense...

ButlerNut likes this.
  9. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,457
    I see what you did there! ;)

MSUDawg likes this.
  10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,229
    Yes, it has a ton of flaws. We know some of the components, but we don’t know the exact formula. There are 5 components and only 4 of them account for how strong the opponent is, which is crazy. It uses efficiency and margin of victory (capped at 10), which is dumb because it’s redundant . It uses winning percentage and adjusted winning percentage, which is also redundant.

The NCAA probably has a poor formula relative to what’s available. They certainly have botched it’s release about as bad as they possibly could. It amazes me that such a massive organization can make such poor PR decisions time and time again.

estar20dawg likes this.
  11. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $44
    And on Day 2, Butler is up 5 places to number 40.

znelson15 likes this.
  12. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $309
    For me it has always been we are in the big east now and if we get to twenty wins we will make the tournament

This net ranking will even itself out but still I think the committee looks at total wins as well as who the program is
    Butler has a name for itself now especially when it comes to tourney time (It’s called the Syracuse rule) except butler actually earns it

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  13. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $44
    I'm not going to do this every day, but for the Day 3 rankings, Butler now appear up another six places at No. 34. At this rate, top 10 by Christmas and No. 1 by Selection Sunday!

The places "gained" include vaulting over both Villanova and Indiana, but the Bulldogs themselves have been vaulted by Creighton.

St Johns are still top Big East team at 18 (up from 32), Ohio State regain the top spot that they lost to Texas Tech for a day, Xavier down to 91.

UDDawg and MSUDawg like this.
  14. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,340
    Would never have thought I would ever say this but here could be something even worse than the RPI rankings. Instead of administrators and celebs (at times) why not get people on the committee who have been around basketball for years and years and let them pick the top 68 teams based on their experience and what their eyes are telling them. They can't even do this?? It ain't brain surgery. Would bet there would be far fewer teams who feel slighted using that methodolgy than using these ridiculous rankings. And the seedings might even be more in line to what they should be. If a head coach farts, does that negatively effect the team's daily NET ranking?

15. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $44
    Just couldn't resist looking one more time. This "not playing any games" strategy is doing Butler huge favours in this ranking. 45, 40, 34, now 29! Pitt have jumped the Bulldogs, but Notre Dame, Purdue, Houston (dropped from 17-34 and still undefeated), Oregon, Virginia Tech & Creighton have all been leapfrogged.

Ohio State understandably drop from No. 1, all the way to 13, so it is Virginia's turn to be top of the rankings today.

16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,690
    Creighton beat Clemson and they dropped?

17. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $596
    I don't really think you can take a whole lot from these rankings until about mid December. That goes for any rankings, really.

You're always going to get anomalies early, like Loyola-Marymount (who is pretty good, by the way). Radford also had some big road win. Things will get settled in and we'll see if this system is worth anything.