Football players are skipping bowl games. When will b-ball players start skipping TheBigDance?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by FRENCH DAWG, Dec 12, 2018.

1. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $205
    Which programs are at risk?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BURph92 likes this.
  2. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    The Bowl Games are a joke. March Madness is possibly the greatest US sports event, to include professional sports. I highly doubt it ever becomes a thing.

IndyDawgs, Hinkle and bwesson15 like this.
  3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    My guess is players will skip games when they don't have a shot at winning a National Title, just as they do in football. Since all tourney teams technically have a shot (no matter how unrealistic), we aren't going to see it unless they bring back the consolation game in the F4.

Agree that the bowl games are no longer more than glorified exhibition games.

IndyDawgs and Hinkle like this.
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,046
    Doubt it becomes a factor in basketball. (A) Likelihood of grave injury is significantly lower than football; (B) if you're in the ncaa tournament, your best case scenario is winning a national title. If you're competing in a bowl game, your best case scenario is winning the bowl game.

5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    The other aspect is players can greatly improve their draft stock or national image in the NCAA tournament. Football 1 game bowl if it ain't the title game is just another game and potential career altering injury risk. The bowl game just really won't change draft stock at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $412
    Maybe the NIT? Do you think Ben Simmons skips the NIT if LSU made it in 2016 instead of 2018 (for some reason he came to mind)?

7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    Injury risk is SIGNICICANTLY lower in basketball. This will never be a thing.

ButlerNut and IndyDawgs like this.
  8. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    Yeah, never gonna happen in the NCAA's but the Ben Simmons hypothetical or like if Oregon goes to the NIT/CBI/CIT, I can see Bol Bol sitting out.

The more likely situation is basically what Jarred Vanderbilt did and what Ed Oliver is doing. I realize that depends on what you believe about either player's actual injury status, but I also don't care how injured or not injured a player may or may not be when amounts of money that will make their kids rich are on the line.

9. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $144
    I could see guys sitting out the “other” post season tournaments, but there’s a much bigger risk in doing this in hoops. There are only two rounds in the draft, and a lot less spaces to make a team. Unless players don’t care about working up from the d-league it makes no sense to offer another reason to not draft you.

10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    If you need an example of what the tournament can do for you look at Dante DiVencenzo went from no way he's leaving to first round pick. To a lesser extent Omari Spellman

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,781
    estar20dawg likes this.
  12. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $205
    And Gordon Hayward too.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops