Franz Wagner - 2019 Wing

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by jkcdawgs, Jun 23, 2017.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $601
  2. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $184
    BHayden likes this.
  3. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $699
  4. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $181
    I think Wagner would be a great prospect to go after. Moe Wagner, his older brother, just completed a very successful career at Michigan, and I assume LaVall would have at least a little bit of an in from the one year overlap. Also, Moe went from 6'9" as a recruit to 6'11" as a college player so it is likely the younger Wagner is still growing. Franz looks to be more fluid at the same age, and perhaps a better shooter, again at the same point in their development.

5. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    I would think Michigan would have the edge given Mos successful career.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $181
    It's unlikely that Michigan will have a spot for him, unless he really blows up or things go sideways in recruiting for UM. They have a top-50 SF named Jalen Wilson committed and are hard after two top-50 PGs D.J. Carton and Rocket Watts, and the only other guys they are recruiting are top-10 overall players in the class. Technically they only have one spot in the class, but Charles Matthews is expected to go pro, and they are recruiting with potential transfers in mind.

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,513
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,890
    mmm don't make me salivate with a potential Santiago and Franz combo. I would love going a little more international, get out of the Big Ten battle Franz and Santiago would easily be top 80 recruits and far less pressure to get outside of maybe Franz, but looks like LJ's time at Michigan has gotten us at least an in.

bwesson15 likes this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    It appears the players and prospects like LJ. I have been saying for several years now that we need to go overseas just like Gonzaga has. It’s too difficult to compete with the surrounding Big Ten schools along with others recruiting Indiana kids.

bwesson15, bumba and estar20dawg like this.
  10. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $837
    Gonzaga literally goes all over the world - they pulled Sabonis out of Lithuania, Hachimura out of Japan, Tille out of France, Karnowski out of Poland, and Pangos, Olynyk, and Sacre all out of Canada. Gonzaga has recruited (and still does) overseas and in Canada, but they've built up an elite program using those foreign born talents and are now recruiting high level kids stateside (they have like 3 kids in the top 60-70 in their 2019 class). If we can start pulling those talents from overseas to make up for the heavy competition stateside for a lot of kids that may not even be as talented, maybe we can build up that same success and perception from kids stateside who otherwise might overlook Butler.

Also, since ESPN doesn't rank plays not playing the US, the casual recruiting fan might not see them. However, a lot of these foreign born players Gonzaga has pulled over the years are high level 4 star and even 5 star caliber recruits on other sites that are more credible and evaluate overseas players.

11. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,890
    Agreed, almost everyone has Santiago as a 4 star and Franz a high 4 star

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,290
    Just looking at the scholarship situation:

Michigan is currently oversigned by one next season. They have 12 scholarship players this season and zero seniors. Plus they 2 committed for next season.
    Stanford is currently oversigned by one next season (but Okpala is more than likely leaving early). They have 13 scholarship players this season and one senior. Plus they have 2 committed for next season.

Butler is full for next year, but there is always a possibility of a transfer in the off-season. Obviously, more teams could get involved between now and the summer, though.

13. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $987
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    The only thing a kit recruiting internationally that causes me to hesitate is that decreased scouting opportunities means higher bust potential. Not recruiting busts is almost important to Butler as recruiting studs

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Member

Money:
    $87
    Uh... so if he is 2019 where would he get his scholarship?

WestLoopDog likes this.
  16. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,890
    True, but nowadays it's so much easier to communicate overseas, get videos or actually stream live games and in Franz's situation he already is playing with a pro team so he's going to be going against professionals day in day out. Think the bust potential on Franz is extremely low and Santiago is a risk but not one more than any other prospect from the 50-120 range. The internet has completely revolutionized international recruiting. I can tell you in my case of recruiting a lot internationally the risk factor was no more than anyone state side.

17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,890
    I think he could reclassify to 2020 if he really wanted, but I know he doesn't want to wait and I'd say it's a true 50/50 whether he goes the collegiate route in the first place, he has said he is pretty comfortable playing where he is. There could always be a transfer or someone going to pro route ala Kaiser Gates.

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  18. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $601

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    DawgPoundMac likes this.
  19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,924
    I could see us beating out Stanford Bc they and the PAC-12 suck, but how on earth are we beating out Michigan where his brother was a star?

Butler over a world-class institution where his brother was amazing and took them to the final game? Not even a .000000000000001% chance.

Hinkle and jkcdawgs like this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
    We have no need for a wing in this class. Hard pass.