Front Row Hoopcast Episode 3

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 7, 2017.

By Jared Grubbs on Dec 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,285

Bulldogs went 2-0 this week, but there was some controversy. Ari and Brendan debate the polarizing Paul Jorgensen and look at this team so far to determine where they are heading.

0:36- Ari trolling Jorgensen
    6:32- Baddley the next Vanzant?
    9:00- What to do with Nate Fowler
    11:20-Feed the Big Cat
    14:15- Which former BU team does this team remind you of?

Comments

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Coogles
      Coogles
      Phew, simmer down Ari.

Jorg has been great since McD went out. Dude's been working his tail off on the defensive end and patient on the offensive end of the court.

If you want to call out a guy for being inconsistent, go ahead and do that for every player on the roster. Every single player has been inconsistent, all the way down to KM and KB.
      mass_dawgs likes this.
    2. Ignatius J. Reilly
      Ignatius J. Reilly
      The thing I don't get is why Jorg is getting ripped for being inconsistent while Henry is getting praised as an up-and-comer. I love both of them, happy they are both on the team, and recognize they have different skillsets. But they both played major minutes in the last game and Henry didn't score a point. Ari is cherry-picking.
    3. UDDawg
      UDDawg
      Ari's unnecessarily obnoxious. Turning into a Dakich right before our eyes. (Yes, I'm trolling a little bit here).
    4. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      Well Ari is about the size of a troll.
      Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
      BU_NeonHat and bu2013 like this.
    5. ConnersvilleBulldog
      ConnersvilleBulldog
      I think your opinion of Pauly J. depends on your expectations of him coming in. Given his meh stats for GW, I didn't have that high of expectations. So he has far exceeded my expectations for him this season.
      the_speakers_lab likes this.
    6. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      What we didn't take into consideration was the amount of time PJ put in during his redshirt year perfecting his shot and working on his strength and conditioning. His ball handling and passing skills were there before he went to GW. GW also had a bad coach/team situation. The kid has everything needed to be a top player this year and next. Enjoy watching what he does versus looking for the occasional mistake and blowing that up.
      DawgPoundMac and MisBUHoops like this.
    7. troggy
      troggy
      Jorgensen has been terrific. I remember a few board members questioning why Butler wanted him. I can't see how there are questions now.
      mass_dawgs, Dewars12, BURph92 and 5 others like this.
    8. MisBUHoops
      MisBUHoops
      Can't say I understand the hate for Jorgensen. I'll admit I haven't had the chance to watch many games, but if I told you our 3rd/4th option on offense was averaging (through 9 games):
      10.0 PPG
      3.1 RPG (As a guard)
      22 Assists to 6 turnovers
      .433/.405/.789
      I think we would all be pretty satisfied.

Sure, in the two losses he had no offensive production, but he certainly wasn't the only one. In addition to that, he only played a combined 33 minutes in those two games.

Let's not rush to conclusions and let a kid who's only played 9 games in the past 20 months play a little bit more before we write him off.
    9. Hinkle
      Hinkle
      It’s completely asinine. He’s been terrific on the whole. For whatever reason, some people only remember the few boneheaded plays he’s made (and he has made a few) and fail to weigh it against all of the great plays he’s made and shots he’s hit.

He’s been as good as we could’ve possibly reasonably expected. Hope he keeps it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app
      jarik and troggy like this.
    10. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      I will fully admit I didn’t want him. He looked like a nobody at GW. Much like Tyler Wideman, I couldn’t be happier to be wrong.
    11. Red1972
      Red1972
      PJ will have a good two year run and wiil prove to be an asset before it is over,
    12. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      He already has.
      jarik likes this.
    13. BURph92
      BURph92
      I know for a fact, like Insane Dawg said earlier, that Paul has really worked hard since coming to Butler to improve all aspects of his game. I knew PJ was a capable shooter but his defense, passing ability, quickness, & overall energy he brings has been fantastic so far. Really glad he plays for Butler.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
    14. UDDawg
      UDDawg
      bmradio99, mwall787 and estar20dawg like this.
    15. seadawg
      seadawg
      Too early to make a final judgement on PJ at this point, but he looks better than advertized. I agree TW is vastly underrated but my feeling is LJ is limiting his minutes prior to the BE when I fully expect his court time to increase . HB is somewhat comparable to SV. I don't see the comparison of this team to the one that entered the BE. If the boys wanted to generate controversy and response, then mission accomplished
    16. Irishdawg
      Irishdawg
      "If you take away the Kennesaw St. and Furman games, he's shooting 35% on the season."

True, and his EFG% would still be almost 49% on the year, which is way more important than a straight up FG%. That would still put him just barely below Kelan Martin this year, and still above Henry Baddley, Aaron Thompson and Kamar Baldwin. It's fine for Ari to have this opinion, because the show is just that, their opinions, but even if you take those games out, "reliable" or not, he's still a more productive offensive player than most on this team so far this season.
    17. dawgs2014
      dawgs2014
      You also can’t just pretend a quarter of the games didn’t happen

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app
      UDDawg likes this.
    18. godogs91
      godogs91
      In 10 games, Jorgensen has had 7 with an ORtg > 125. His last season at GW, he had 9. Total. On roughly the same % shots, his eFG% is 16 percentage points higher than 2015-16. He is currently 10 percentage points better in all 3 shooting metrics (2pt%, 3pt%, FT%). He has already hit 2 less 3's than he did that entire season. I have been really pleased with his overall performance so far, and even if it doesn't continue at quite the same rate, I think his addition has been another good one.
    19. BUcheer
      BUcheer
      I’m in and out of Hinkle a fair amount and last year into this summer Paul was often there working out alone or with a manager shagging balls. He has put in the time to improve and it shows. That’s why you can’t presume/predict a player based on how they played at the end of the season—you need to allow for improvement—especially when those who have witnessed it are saying so.
      joliebeth23 and beezer16 like this.