Front Row Hoopcast Episode 6

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 11, 2018.

By Jared Grubbs on Jan 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $12,336

The Dawgs have dropped 3 straight games. We discuss how Butler has looked, some criticism for fans and a look at recruiting.

0:43-3 game losing streak
    2:25- Butler fans on twitter
    7:00- Aaron Thompson to the bench?
    10:15- Henry Baddley stepping up
    14:30- Worry about recruiting?
    16:15- Should we be mad at Collier?

Comments

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 11, 2018.

1. SpartanDawgs
      SpartanDawgs
      They're right on the dot that expectations were too high after the Nova game and fans should be happy. Hopefully if not, its because they actually could be 4-1 right now.

I love AT and I think he is great. should he be benched? Maybe at times depending on match ups and game situations. But I know he is practicing his shot and wants to be more involved in the offense. Then again, I have followed Tum Tum at MSU for 4 years and he is still hardly shooting. Given the depth of this roster, play him and hope he develops a shot.

Collier should be part to blame and so should Danko and so should the Board of Directors. No one at Butler is the Chase Tower. There is a lot of people involved in the decision making. I am not going to complain too much though because I do not know Butler's Financials. It's probably tough to compete with Power 5 conference money especially when you were receiving Horizon league funds not too long ago. Although, I do not think Holt was looking for Butler to match OSU. I think he was looking for a longer contract and a little more money. I think if the University thought a successful/stable basketball program would increase endowment and profits, I am sure they could have paid Holt the long term guaranteed contract he deserved/wanted. Maybe the cost-benefit analysis of hiring a Butler guy that wouldn't leave for more $$$ made more sense than paying for a top dollar coach.

Not going to get into recruiting but I think the staff is doing fine considering.

Overall, good episode and hopefully the Dawgs can trend upward starting Friday.
      Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    2. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      The power conference schools like OSU, Alabama, UCLA, Texas etc have an extraordinary amount of resources and money available to pay coaches and build facilities. I can't blame guys like Holtmann or Shaka Smart from jumping to these schools. The upside is beyond anything Butler or VCU could ever conceive of doing. Much like recruits who love the big school atmosphere and facilities that the power schools have to offer there are coaches that lust for the same things. There are those that are fine with careers coaching at Gonzaga or Providence or Xavier or Villanova. Maybe that guy is LJ for us.
      BoyGeoff likes this.
    3. Irishdawg
      Irishdawg
      Does Ari really think Butler is going to outbid Ohio State for anything sports-related?

Holtmann was paid $1.362 million for the 2015-16 season, and also earned an additional $41,000 in additional compensation reported by the University. His first full season as head coach at the school. FWIW, Ari's "sources" are a website that literally anyone can look at to find this information, even though they are a little dated. It'll be far more interesting to see what he was paid the following year. My guess is it will be more in the Mack/Wojo range for 2016-17. Here's the link by the way for Butler's 990: http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/350/350867977/350867977_201605_990.pdf

Big East salaries for the 2015-16 season, as reported by the schools:
      1. John Thompson III - $3,812,683
      2. Jay Wright - $2,585,041
      3. Ed Cooley - $2,036,454*
      4. Steve Wojciechowski - $1,813,612
      5. Chris Mack - $1,668,930
      6. Kevin Willard - $1,633,750
      7. Chris Mullin - $1,515,829
      8. Chris Holtmann - $1,404,238
      9. Greg McDermott - $1,326,553
      10. Dave Leitao - $1,080,191

* - Providence has not filed their 2016 return, this is for the 2014-15 season
      Hinkle likes this.
    4. SpartanDawgs
      SpartanDawgs
      I don't think Ari ever said that Butler should've outbid OSU. I think he believes that there was a chance Holt would have stayed for less $$$ than OSU was offering if the contract/benefits were right. Such as a longer contract or guaranteed money which I would agree with. I do really hope this Holtmann discussion fades though. It is what is and its not like Butler has 15 losses this season.
    5. dawgs2014
      dawgs2014
      Correct. Ari is under the belief we could have kept holt even if we did not match osu, we just had to up the offer “enough”. On Holtmann issues, I think what ari is says is a.....very well informed “opinion”.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
    6. Irishdawg
      Irishdawg
      Ari is well informed because he's buddies with Holtmann. I don't want to get into it too much, because as SpartanDawgs says, at some point, the discussion needs to fade. All I'll say is that I think Ari telling Butler fans that they should be mad at Collier and/or others still at the school who have done so much work to bring Butler basketball from where it was to where it is today is disappointing, and undermines the current head coaching staff in my opinion.
    7. Hinkle
      Hinkle
      AK is disingenuous in implying that Holt was paid 1.4mm this past season. (It's also laughable to claim sources on something like that.) As you point out, that's what he was paid the year prior - his first full year on the job. As I've said since June, all signs suggest that Holt was paid something like Mack (the 1.6-1.8 range) for the 16-17 season and would've been paid something like Woj or Cooley in 17-18 (the 2mm range).

We'll know next year I suppose, when those financials are out.
    8. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      I appreciate everyone listening to these. The tentative plan is to move these to the weekend in not to long and I’ll be on them occasionally. I helped line up a special guest for next week so definitely be on the look out for that. I’m excited to see how that one turns out. Hopefully there will be a lot more of that to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app