Front Row Hoopcast Season 4 Episode 4: Joey Brunk Bonanza!

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,460
    Hinkle and BU_NeonHat like this.
  2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,237
    I've only listened to this episode once in the car while slightly distracted by traffic, so the details of this episode may be slightly foggy.

I get they need topics to get through a 30-minute podcast, but the amount of times they referenced stats *THROUGH 2 GAMES* as though they have any sort of meaning was a little much, especially in Ari's rant about PJ. A lot of it just reeks of saying things to get attention instead of trying to have thoughtful, serious conversation.

3. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,250
    I changed the way I listen to the his content and it has helped a lot. I don't think of it like it's a serious attempt at news worthy Butler discussions. I think it's just fun banter by a fan of the Dawgs who has strong opinions. He also gets interesting people to come on the show, even if he interrupts them a little too much.

Don't like how he gets stuck on some players arses, but so do a lot of posters on this board. If you think of them like it's a post here except on a different format and with guests that you wish would answer questions on here, then it's a lot more enjoyable.

Hell, be you Ari and just remember that you do represent the school at least tangentially as the only content like it out there. ;)

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,237
    That's fair.

5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,743
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    As much as Ari is ragging on Jorgensen, he's by far better at taking care of the ball than either Baldwin or Thompson. Yeah, his shots might not always be a great look, but I guess it's whether you'd rather have a bad shot or a turnover and no shot at all. Either can result in easy opportunities for the opponent, but at least with a bad shot there's still a chance it could result in a score.

Also, I really like McDermott, but while he's a better rebounder and pure athlete than Dunham, he's also not as versatile of a scorer, so I don't see him being a guy that gets 14-15 ppg, and that's okay. They're just 2 different players who both serve distinct important roles for the team.

I Am Butler likes this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,760
    They're both good shooters. Everything else about them is different. The Pendleton connection leads to comparisons that just don't make any sense.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,488
    First two games : PJ 6 assists to 1 TO. Baldwin 12 A to 11TO. Thompson 8 A to 6 TO.

Paul is shooting 50% within the arc and 25% from three. I bet his three point shot will come around soon.

Actually I like McDermott's shot more than Dunham's. He just doesn't take as many.

I Am Butler likes this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,760
    Paul's protection of the ball is his greatest strength. He had the lowest turnover percentage on the team last year, which is why he can be an efficient offensive player even when his shooting percentages aren't that good. If his three point percentage can move quickly in the right direction (and I think it will), he's going to be a very, very valuable player this season. And that doesn't mean 40%. If he can just shoot 35% from deep, you've got to play him.

I Am Butler likes this.
  10. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $242
    35% is his career 3pt average so it is likely to go there. I am hopeful a little higher in his senior season.

11. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $242
    Turned it off at the 13:49 mark. I feel it is more IU than BU with immediacy and reactive commentary. I guess this is the modern sports commentator philosophy in play. That being, insult early and often and people will listen. Not for me.

I Am Butler and Insane Dawg like this.
  12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,702
    Haven't heard the hoopcast yet. But enjoying reading all the comments about PJ. After last night's game, seems an "I told you so" might be in order.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Not a good episode for the ol Ari credibility meter. Maybe he needs to criticize more of everyone because the guys he criticized most really showed out yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

I Am Butler and WestLoopDog like this.
  14. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,743
    The classic reverse jinx.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

WestLoopDog likes this.
  15. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,888
    But . . . he's "usually not that far off with predictions!"

SpartanDawgs and UDDawg like this.
  16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I have relentlessly defended his work on the podcast, but his predictions are......atrocious.

Trevon Bluiett will 100% come to Xavier
    Tyler Lewis will average 5 assists per game as a jr
    Paul Jorgensen wont see the floor
    Joey Brunk will transfer
    Sean McDermott will be better than Kellen Dunham.

These are just off the top of my head. I don’t even have any bold predictions that he’s made that have come to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  17. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,702
    Didnt Trevon Bluiett come to Xavier?

18. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,702
    Not to start debate about content, but I want to say this podcast was much easier to listen to.

Ari let his guest finish thoughts. He debated rationally. He didnt yell too much (appreciate the inflection as it shows passion). It sounded much more professional and a vast improvement over previous podcasts.

Again, this is about style and not about content. But heck, we all have our opinions about players.

And I think Tomich did a great job as well.