Front Row Hoopcast Season 4 Episode 5: Lukas Harkins Breaks Down Big East

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    bwesson15 and Lukas Harkins like this.
  2. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    Butler's media department wouldn't let Matthew Johnson join Ari for a podcast? But . . . HAVEN'T THEY LISTENED TO . . . . . . Oh, ooooooooooh. Never mind, I get it.

That aside, I turned into this one because Harkins was on and I've appreciated hi work. Ari actually did a nice job here. Still not giving Paulie his due credit, instead showering him with false compliments, but I get that it's hard to eat crow. Also don't buy for a second that Matta was going to take this job and leave his OSU money on the table. Makes zero sense.

Harkins did a hell of a job. FWIW, I would tune into a weekly podcast hosted by him without hesitation. Well spoken and thoughtful opinions. Keep up the good work.

bwesson15 and Lukas Harkins like this.
  3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    Hmmm...I had a similar thought last month...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $456
    Man I would love to listen to a Butler podcast where the guy running it doesn’t make a total fool of himself. He just won’t give up on the “Paul is trash” take and at this point it’s embarrassing. Also, if you’re going to be a podcast gearing toward a particular school and you want people to listen, you’re going to have to be a bit of a homer. Ari is the opposite, criticizing anything and everything possible. He is so annoying to listen to. For being so quick to criticize others for not knowing what they are talking about, he strikes me as having little basketball knowledge.

That being said, Lukas did a fantastic job and brought up some strong points. I especially like what he said about Kamar falling away on his shot. I think this has caused a ton of misses and he usually misses short because he’s falling back instead of going straight up into his shot. He is also right about him being a better spot shooter than off the dribble, which is another reason why it hurts him to be so ball dominant. Most people are either ball dominant off the dribble shooters or set spot shooters. It is very difficult to be great at both.

I am completely on board with the crew saying Lukas needs to get his own podcast, I’d tune in for every segment. I like his content on everything and as a Butler student myself respect the hell out of his hustle. The dude must not sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    UDDawg likes this.
  5. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

I like Ari..... outside of the cursing from time to time. I feel like a lot of people love getting positive feedback but don't know how to handle constructive criticism. If you only hear how good things are how are you suppose to get better at things that your not good at? He keeps it real like it or not.

6. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    You would . . .

estar20dawg and Tentozen like this.
  7. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

Yeah I'm pretty opened minded to differences of opinion unlike yourself and others.

SRG likes this.
  8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,143
    Haven’t listened, but as to Thad interviewing for the BU job, could it be that it was to fulfill any obligation he had to OSU to attempt to job hunt re: his contract? Could also see Barry seeking Thad’s advice on Chris’ replacement and it somehow is misconstrued by others as an interview. My impression is the Matta family is perfectly content right now with the situation as is.

9. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,721
    Ari can be bit too much with his opinions, but I like who he gets on the poidcasts and it's not like he's a paid professional sportscaster. Although I don't agree with some of his opinions, some of the opinions on this board are worse and just as stubbornly held as his; so who are we to judge too critically. o_O

Don't like it, don't listen. But you'll miss some good Butler basketball content, even if it is off-putting at times. It seems like he might have pushed some buttons with the Administration to have them not let a coach on the show? Or maybe, his hard hitting style drawls out too much information and they were scared it would reveal too many secretes?!?! Sarcasm font.:eek::p;) I think Ari can take a little ribbing though. :p

10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,780
    If you listen to the actual Mark Titus podcast, he's pretty explicit. He said Matta had accepted the job and then backed out like 2 hours later. The whole reason it came up on the podcast is because they were talking about journalists who have "scoops" like Woj, Adam Schefter, etc. They'd interviewed Jeff Goodman for that podcast, so maybe they were grouping him in there too? Anyway, Titus was like "I only have one scoop, here it is." He even prefaced by wondering if he should say it out loud, but he obviously went through with it.

BUcheer likes this.
  11. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,339
    Thanks for all of the kind words! Was definitely fun to get on and talk Butler hoops and I'm glad that some of you enjoyed it. Still trying to get used to the podcasting thing as I haven't done it much. Looking forward to doing some more in the future (see Jared's post above...).

ButlerNut, bu04, BHayden and 4 others like this.
  12. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,721
    I didn't make the connection, like a dork! :oops: After thinkin' about it it make perfect sense though! Good pro-Butler content without being a homer... Wear off on Ari a little, but then he wouldn't be Ari. lol! I'd listen in to a podcast by you also... Go for it!

BHayden and Lukas Harkins like this.
  13. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    Just listened...(I know. late to the party).

Ari seemed to slip a bit into his old self, where he steps on his guest. One time, he asked a question, but then answered before he gave Lukas a chance to answer. I get that Ari isn't a professional, and is definitely passionate in the Dawgs, and his own beliefs. But in Episode 4 Ari did a better job letting his guest talk and finish thoughts.

This was a good podcast, and Lukas brought some serious data and analysis to the podcast. And even got Ari to admit that PJ isn't the worst player to ever don a Butler uniform! :D

bwesson15, seadawg and Lukas Harkins like this.
  14. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,339
    Thanks for the kind words about my appearance!

ButlerNut likes this.