Future Non-Conference Opponents?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $282
    With the struggle that Butler's had recruiting in the Indianapolis area already (which is where the majority of that state's recruits are), I actually think creating more competition for the schools that are getting these kids is a good idea. Hurts the other programs more than it'll hurt Butler.

2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    FWIW, Keefer tweeted earlier that Butler and UCLA had talks, but they broke down because of logistical problems.

3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    While Irishdawg is right that the Big East has publicly said that they have no plans for expansion, I have a really really tough time believing that. UD is starting to step up and trying to build some nicer facilities. We're upgrading the practice facilities, primarily for basketball but other sports are getting upgrades as well. There's a building right now that houses the athletics department-it used to be our old fieldhouse before UD Arena was built- but the building also has some classrooms and one school department. Those locations are getting moved to make that building a complete athletics building. What I'm trying to say is that if the Big East does decide to expand, we're trying our best to look as desirable as can be.

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $282
    The problem for Dayton is Xavier. The league gains very little by adding the Dayton market, and yet again, Dayton is having another meh season in the A-10. The local support for their program is tremendous, but the problem is still the national perception of the program in that it wouldn't make the league that much better, wouldn't make Fox sweeten the TV deal (which would then just lessen the TV money for every other program). I guess the question that I keep coming up with, is what would Dayton's presence do to benefit the league?

Now, if you said St. Louis, I would have a slightly different answer, but it would basically be, let's just see what happens when they lose 5 of their top 6 scorers and see if they can continue this nice stretch they've had. If they continue their run of success, then maybe Dayton's got a shot, but I think the Big East would also look East Coast to keep a balance of teams in the East and Midwest at 6 apiece.

5. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $244
    +1 The schools being considered right now either wouldn't add value or would be a bad fit institutionally due to possibility of adding football.

6. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I would still like to add Gonzaga. Let them(Gonzaga) worry about the travel logistics. That's a premium name and would make this League top notch. St Louis makes alot of sense in this region....Agree on Dayton being too close to X. Don't think X wants Dayton either.

7. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Ten is the perfect # for a basketball conference. There is no reason to expand, which probably means they will and screw it up.

8. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    I know I'm biased (my sister graduated from SLU and me being at Dayton right now), but if the Big East were to expand, I think those two are really the only sensible options, at least in terms of what type of schools the conference has claimed to be interested in. Do I think the conference needs to/should expand? Honestly, no. I agree with people who love how it is at 10. But conferences always seem to claim that they're not interested in expanding, yet they do anyway. In terms of the X/Dayton relationship, I really don't think they share a market as much as some people think. In my experience of living in Dayton the past two years, there's barely any overlap. It would give the conference another rivalry game, perhaps even the most legitimate one, except probably Gtown/Nova. And then I think SLU just makes too much sense because ultimately I don't think the conference wants Creighton all alone on their little island in Omaha. SLU would provide a perfect bridge to connect the conference. Again, I don't think the conference necessarily needs to expand, but I won't be surprised in the least bit if they do, and if they do, I think SLU and UD are definitely the best options.

9. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    I think the benefits of playing UCLA, especially if you can get ESPN interested, probably outweigh the negatives. You are right however, there will be a hundred articles and news blurbs on Steve Alford's return to the state of Indiana.

That being said, I wouldn't give Illinois a home and home under any circumstance.

10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,023
  11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    I'm getting a dead link. We're playing at Tennessee?

12. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    Anyone? Bueller?

13. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,427
    I think our proximity within the B1G would be great to set up home and homes with Michigan St., Michigan, or Illinois. Would like to see that down the road.

14. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    I seriously hope it is a joke playing Tennessee next year...was Manchester not available?

15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,005
    If there was a year to play Tennessee, it's this year. They're going to be a mess. It's too bad Knoxville is 500 hours from Memphis. But our Nashville jokers can represent.

I'll ask around to UT folks to see if they've heard this or know anything.

16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,806
    Would be good if we are recruiting someone from Tenn.

17. jarik

jarik Active Member

Money:
    $149
    UT just announced the home-and-home series.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042914aaa.html

One of my friends hosts a radio show here in Knoxville and was pretty much raving about Hinkle today, saying that he fully intends to treat himself to that trip. These should be interesting games between two programs dealing with some similar issues.

18. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    So I take it Manchester or Depauw were not available?

19. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,427
    Wow, looks like I am a visionary!

20. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,124
    Are you referring to the Big East/Big Ten challenge? If not, please elaborate, I haven't heard anything other than that.