Future Scheduling

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ghostryder, Dec 21, 2018.

1. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $144
    Been pondering on this topic the last few days and seeing BU playing some of the cupcakes (which I agree that you need) makes me think about possible alternatives.

I like the practice of playing some of the schools in the state, so I see no reason to not explore renewing the Evansville series, for example. It might be nice to play Valpo again, too. Norte Dame would be the prize, but they won’t come to Hinkle, right?

One other regional school that might be worth looking at is Buffalo; their star is rising and it would be a challenging game.

Does Mack hate us enough that he wouldn’t do a home and home with Louisville?

If we wanna look further, what do you think of the following: Gonzaga, Nevada, one of the Arizona schools, St. Mary’s, Syracuse, Stephen F Austin, Memphis, or Michigan. Some of these could be neutral site games.

For less challenging foes, Northwestern State (because I used to work there), former Horizon League foes, SMU, Rice, Rutgers, Penn State.

Just a conversation starter. . .

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    The in-state schools wouldn't accept buy games, and I don't see the benefit of playing on the road at any of them, other than maybe Evansville if McCarty can get things rolling (and he's done a good job so far).

Buffalo is really friggin good this year. Will be interesting to see how good they stay after this year when they lose 5 seniors.

Gonzaga would be great, Nevada will be interesting if UCLA fires Alford, because I have to believe they'd go after Musselman HARD, and Nevada loses 6 seniors after this season, so have to wonder how motivated he'll be to stay in Reno. St. Mary's would be fine, Syracuse wouldn't give Butler a game at Hinkle, SFA? Why? They wouldn't be any different than their current schedule. Memphis would be interesting, basically the polar opposite of Butler culturally. Michigan would be great, but can't imagine they'd give Butler a home game with the Big Ten going to 20 conference games.

I really don't have a big problem with their non-conference schedule this year. Ole Miss has been pretty darn good so far considering expectations coming into the year. UC-Irvine is the most likely representative out of the Big West. They played the 2 most likely teams to come out of the A-10, just played like garbage in both of those games, which is why they wound up facing MTSU instead of Virginia.

wazthree and SpartanDawgs like this.
  3. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $364
    Next years home non conference is going to be great. Florida then maybe a big 12 or big ten team in hinkle. Mix that with a solid thanksgiving tourney and that’s a solid schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,707
    Ga tech would be fun...or Georgia. Lots of Atlanta based fans. Lining up a couple upper level Mac or mvc schools is always sweet too.

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    Not sure what playing PSU gets you. We’re talented enough to beat Butler, but we’re generally pretty bad, so a win doesn’t do a whole lot for the resume. I assume we’re ranked similar to UC Irvine. Better to play a team that had no chance against Butler but likely will Win their conference than to play a PSU team capable of beating Butler but likely is a bottom half Big Ten team.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    Next year Butler has a B1G game (Gavitt), and B12 game (B12 challenges), a return home game against Florida, a neutral game against Purdue (Crossroads) and a Thanksgiving tournament.

And then it goes to Big East play.

Butler needs to fill its non conference next year with the 4-5 worst teams it can get to come to Hinkle, and 1-2 that are on the level of an NIU or Miami OH. It’s not ideal as a fan, but it’ll be best for the team. That schedule could be brutal.

If you are going to add another power conference team, I wouldn’t mind starting another home and home with a P12 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

shoeevv, Tentozen and BUcheer like this.
  7. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,193
    Don’t we also have an away game at Ole Miss since they came here this year?

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,707
    Si senor. And I advise as many to make plans that can. The square and the Pavillion will be a fun experience. And there's a slight chance they'll be selling beer by then.

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    Wow. Forgot about that one. You’re right. So, yeah, just fill it with 6 games against Kennesaw State.

10. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Don't think there is a need to play any state schools ever again - ND would be kinda cool but will never happen.

Need buy games against 300+ teams of course but would love to see BU schedule more home games like UC-Irvine. Very winnable games against good teams that help your resume. Also the type of squad (mid-major conference tourney winner) you could see in a first round NCAA matchup.

Home/home: Gonzaga, Louisville, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Neutral site one offs: Duke, Connecticut, Virginia, Kentucky

11. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,667
    Home/home with MVC - Loyola would be great for our Chicago fan base (like me :)). Could be good for recruiting too.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    Why give up the easy revenue and advantage of a home game to play an opponent of the quality we could pay to come to Hinkle?

As a fan, I get it. As a program/team? No.

13. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,667
    First and foremost, I am speaking as a fan -- aren't we all? Second, I think some competitive road games can help strengthen the team and prepare them for the BE season. I hope we never become a Duke or Kansas and not have our first actual road game until mid-January.

NCJon and ButlerNut like this.
  14. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    I remember when Dawgs begged for ROAD games with power conferences. And then beat them (Wisconsin, OSU, etc) and even got Duke at Cameron.

Dawgs are growing. Better conference, better recruiting, better athletes. But I agree with West Loop. Some true road games would be good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,466
    Agree, wherever we schedule it could have a focus against teams we recruit against or markets we need awareness in. Hence some of the recent home/home series (e.g. Tennessee, Cincinnati, Florida, Ole Miss, St. Louis, etc.). I'd be in favor of a Chicago/Cleveland/Pittsburgh home & home with somebody.

willisbrown likes this.
  16. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $205
    Take a trip out west every year. Play a school from CA every year in CA. Use it in your recruiting because it looks like PAC-12 is headed to mid-major category.

DawgFan and MSUDawg like this.
  17. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $205
    Make the CA trip for many Butler sports program. For example, I’m sure the Butler Women’s Swimming Team would enjoy going up against Stanford, Cal, USC, or UCLA. It would give them the opportunity to swim against current and future olympians. Now that would be awesome.

18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,271
    I know I am in the minority, but I see a lot of value in playing the in-state mid-major teams, especially the three in the MVC. I think those games help build Butler's brand and fanbase at home and when the game is on the road it gives them a good road environment to experience early in the season.

If Butler goes to Cal or San Diego State in December you get a good game either at power conference team or one of the top mid-majors, but the atmosphere will be dead and the recruiting bump is negligible because of the difficulty recruiting the west coast from the midwest.

I'd rather look for road games in big midwest and southern cities. Bumba's list, plus Atlanta, Dallas, Tampa, Austin, and Houston.

19. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Loyola (CHI) was a flash in the pan. They won't even make the tourney this year, unless they win their conference tourney. They were garbage the entire time we were in the Horizon League.

Butler already plays DePaul in Chicago every year. NW or Illini would be fine, but no way a HH with Loyola (CHI).

butlerguy03 likes this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,466
    Agree, some of the strategy would purely be for recruiting. Not saying Loyola is the perfect answer, but an annual BU-Illinois game at the United Center could be a game changer. Make it like the Crossroads Classic and invite 4 schools that could put fans in the seats.

There's lots of talent in Chicago each year we don't seem to sign. Besides Veasley & Rosie, I can't think of many decent guys from Illinois we've had. Maybe I'm missing someone.