Game Thread: Butler at Penn State (11/14)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by PSUButlerFan, Nov 7, 2022.

1. oldstyle1908

oldstyle1908 Active Member

Money:
    $3,017
    Gonna be another rough year

hortonamos and 2xDawg like this.
  2. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,033
    Well, I guess it's good that my +6 bet pushed, but that was pretty rough to watch in the second half.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Ross Hall

Ross Hall Active Member

Money:
    $340
    Bates is going to be good all year. As simple as it sounds, team success will simply come down to being an average shooting team from outside. Just have to hope the guys out right now are able to help immediately.

DawgPoundMac, dippper61 and IndyDawgs like this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $21,009
    Those Harris drives at the end cost you! When we need to get a quick bucket I don't know why Harris attacking the rim is the call. That's a major weakness of his. I'd have been fine with him stopping and taking a long 3. Otherwise let any of the others be the ones to attack the rim. Taylor, Lukosius, and Hunter are all stronger in that area.

5. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,531
    We had the right ideas in the second half (run through Manny, attack the rim, better ball movement and looks), but execution was lacking. Team still has a lot of growing to do. It’s going to take some time, but the goal early on is to learn, progress, and stay healthy. The shooting should come, we just can’t let it affect us mentally which I felt like it did today at times.

DawgPoundMac and IndyDawgs like this.
  6. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,334
    You are right; something is off there. He was much more explosive in his movements last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,842
    Last year, I feel Butler falls apart and loses by 20. Thad has them on the right track.

8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,883
    Down 66 - 62 and Chuck on a semi-break leads to a breakaway dunk for them...game.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 likes this.
  9. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,687

How do you think we played tonight?

10. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,465
    Harris looks like he's lost confidence. He needs to keep shooting.

11. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $878
    Something going on in JT’s head. That was just an atrocious showing from him. Also, when you’re 1-12 from the field, don’t force 2 garbage shots up 2 with all the momentum on your side. Onward

12. Ross Hall

Ross Hall Active Member

Money:
    $340
    Can’t have Hunter impersonating AT anymore either.

IndyDawgs likes this.
  13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $21,009
    I guess I just don't get the hate for Taylor today. Offensively he used 18 possessions (13 FGA, 4 FT trips, 1 TO) to score 14 points. Also added 2 assists. Harris used 15 possessions to score 11 points (0 assists). Hunter used 11 possessions to score 3 points (4 assists). Lukosius 15 possessions for 13 points (2 assists). Why is Taylor the one receiving most of the blame?

shoeevv, troggy and ButlerProf like this.
  14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $21,009
    I mostly keep this opinion to myself because everyone seems to think Harris is our best player (at least until Manny Bates started showing out), but I'm not convinced Harris is a starting caliber Big East guard. I think he's scored a lot for us because someone has to do it, but he's mostly been a volume scorer, and I'm not sure he really brings enough else to the table when you put him on a roster that doesn't need a volume scorer.

2xDawg, shoeevv, bmradio99 and 4 others like this.
  15. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,937
    I actually yelled no out loud when Manny hit the deck and came up wincing. At this point I’d rather lose a game than lose Bates. There was some “last season” ugliness in spots, but Thad will clean that up. We hung in and fought back and didn’t lose by 30. Lots to learn from this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,051
    I think it has a lot to do with Taylor was obviously off since the beginning. Before the FTA, he was like 2/11 with some wild fadeaways, one legged shots, and going 1 on 3 on fast breaks. He cushioned his stats down the road with getting fouled away from the basket.

Harris was too quiet at the beginning due to foul trouble. Towards the end he forced several shots/drives in a row but that was by necessity— I don’t think he played well either and you can’t rely on refs to call fouls to bail you out, have to go strong and expect to make the basket.

Hunter was just as bad but it was more spread out throughout the whole game.

Luko had a rough start 1/5 on 3s within the first 10 minutes but finished strong going 2/3 and played pretty good D.

None of the guards should get a pass but Taylor seemed to be the one to force it the most where I feel like we could have gotten better shots.

jkcdawgs, Tentozen and BUcheer like this.
  17. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,547
    I think Taylor is a solid player, but know when to change the script and be useful out there. No hate, just not your night kid.

18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,051
    PSU made 34 3s in its first 2 games. They hit 10 against Butler. I actually think that’s a pretty “good” defensive showing by Butler. If we shoot 30% from 3 or get those 3 turnovers from Chuck back, we win this game.

We hopefully won’t see another piss poor shooting game like this again but I liked our effort and gameplan. Didn’t like some of our shots but have to live with some if we want to play fast. Remember we are down 3 starting-quality players and this was a winnable game down the stretch. It hurts but I’m glad we didn’t throw the towel in down 16. Defense usually takes the longest to tune up and other than 5 or 6 delayed switches, we did good.

Oh and Manny F’n Bates.

19. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,643
    Overall I just wanted the win so badly

Ha I’m guessing you all did as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,313
    It's amazing how bad offense leads to poor defense. BU had roughly a 10 minute segment where they reverted back to the stand and watch offense. Overall BU played OK, but when you shoot this poorly, winning games will be difficult. This was a very winnable game. PT probably deserves more playing time.

2xDawg, NCJon, DawgPoundMac and 2 others like this.