Game Thread: Butler at Penn State (11/14)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by PSUButlerFan, Nov 7, 2022.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,548
    I don't like the double side pony tail look for Taylor.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    He was our highest usage player and had a bad o rating despite going 8/8 from the stripe. He also missed/was late on several defensive assignments.

peeps112, bmradio99 and Tentozen like this.
  3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,668
    With Taylor's shot struggling, but being money from the line, you wonder if Thad and the staff will insert some plays to either post him up or get him slashing to the bucket. Get Taylor on the line.

4. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    You may be right, but I still think he is hesitant to shoot the 3. Waiting allows what causes fairly open looks to turn into contested looks. Passing up open looks to drive into traffic. The kid was on the all big east freshman team.

GO_DAWGS! likes this.
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Was coming to say the same. Behind Simas, he’s the player I most want to see on the line. Kid can slash—get him there. Which leads to a beef of mine—the only player since Matt Howard I consistently see sealing the lanes (both layups and rebounds) is JMM. Lost art?

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    Wasn’t Fowler pretty good that that?

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

thevinrod and 2xDawg like this.
  7. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,217
    Gotta support what’s on the court now and hopefully enjoy the development. Expectations for a full roster soon, let alone performing cohesively from the get go, will be a letdown.

8. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,217
    True, Fowler did that too but maybe not as frequently.

Yogi likes this.
  9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    The ball movement seems better when PT is on the court, at least through these first 4 games. He only had credit for 1 steal but was very active defensively and on the boards.
    JMO

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,577
    I'm becoming a huge fan of his. Even if his offensive game never truly develops I feel like he can be one of those just elite level role players that are so important to good teams. Kind of like your Veasley or Vanzant from those Final Four teams. One of the biggest factors in his success might simply be the pieces you put around him. Can we get the Mack, Hayward, Howard type stars next to him?

dippper61, DawgPoundMac, Woof and 3 others like this.
  11. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,239
    Shhhh, we can't be giving Fowler credit for anything around here. But yes, he was pretty good at that.

Anyway, these next two games should give them an opportunity to work on some stuff heading into Atlantis.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    thevinrod and 2xDawg like this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    Grotesquely underrated and I will forever die on that hill.

13. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,629
    He hasn't had great success in the pros but I would love Jayden to take an Isaac Okoro approach to his game. Just become a really vicious defender and constantly attack the rim. The perimeter shot doesn't look good and I don't think the "he was a good shooter in HS" argument is very convincing. To me, that just means he was a good shooter two years ago against worse competition. The most recent sample is below average. This may be who he is at this level. Which is fine so long as he adjusts appropriately.

Danville Bulldog, UDDawg and seadawg like this.
  14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,377
    Chipping paint off the rims is never a good thing. But, if the rims were 6” bigger in diameter… nah, we still would have lost.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba and bmradio99 like this.
  15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    I hope you’re right about the next two games although it seems like there have been a high number of games in the early season in which low majors have beaten high majors.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,577
    It's not uncommon for good shooters to shoot poorly as a freshman. Kelan Martin shot 24% from 3 as a freshman. It's not even just about competition, but a confidence/comfort thing as well as the fatigue of going through a more grueling season. His past success, his strong performance at the FT line, and the coaching staff giving him the freedom to continue to take a large volume of 3s (he must be hitting them in practice) suggest to me that moving forward it's more likely than not he is a good shooter from 3. The same applies to Simas as well, who also shot under 30% from 3 last season but was very strong from the line.

shoeevv and troggy like this.
  18. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Normally good free throw shooters are good shooters period. Conversely bad free throw shooters are just the opposite. I’m with you Jared. This will even out. Looking back last night I wonder if Eric Hunter was a bit ramped up playing against a former BIG school?

We played well last night considering four bigs are out . We committed only five turnovers and shot well from within the arc including free throws.

19. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,424
    I've been pleasantly surprised with his minutes, and it's manifesting in his stats. He's playing a great energy, semi-glue guy role. His defensive is solid (four steals in two games, stays with his man), he's the best rebounder on the team outside of Bates, and he's hasn't been forcing on offense (at least not as much as some of the other guards/wings).

Obviously he has a ways to go on offense, but he's worth his minutes nonetheless. Heck, he hit a three last night! I'm very interested to see how he progresses during the season given his off-the-charts athleticism. He already looks immensely improved from the little we saw of him last season. More minutes plus tutelage under Thad should, hopefully, continue his upward trajectory.

20. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $884
    The combination of Simas, Taylor, Harris and Hunter were a combined 13-59 from the field for the PSU game. That is 18%. You cannot win a game with the majority of your perimeter players shooting 18%.

Was that PSU defense, poor Butler shot selection or poor Butler execution is TBD. But the end result is simple, you will not win basketball games, regardless of how well you limit turnovers or play sound defense, if your major contributors at the perimeter shoot 18% for the game.

I don't see those four players combining for an 18% production rate too often going forward. I see reversion to the mean.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022