Game Thread: Butler at Penn State (11/14)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by PSUButlerFan, Nov 7, 2022.

1. DawgFan14

DawgFan14 Active Member

Money:
    $315
    I still remember the last game we shot 18% :(

schoops and bmradio99 like this.
  2. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    I think the potential is still there to be an excellent sniper. His Freshman year he was a .403 3pt shooter. His Sophomore year he went down to .298. However, he dealt with some injuries early in his Sophomore year and was in a primary scorer role that didn't particularly suit him. I say you try to put him in more catch-and-shoot situations and only use him as a driver when the defense plays him too tightly at the perimeter.

3. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,239
    True, a ranked TCU squad flirted with defeat in their opener against Arkansas-PB and then lost last night to Northwestern State.

4. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Nova has a couple of major injuries and a new coach and lost to Temple and struggled to beat Delaware last night.

troggy likes this.
  5. Ross Hall

Ross Hall Active Member

Money:
    $211
    To me his shooting form is far better than anyone else I’ve seen attempt a three also. On The three he hit last night, he pulled up in rhythm and shot the ball like a true shooter. The other guys for whatever reason have these weird push shots. I’ve never seen three volume shooters on the same team that shoot so awkwardly

Tentozen and Blue's Brother like this.
  6. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $622
    I agree with Jared that when everyone is healthy, I'm not sure Harris should be our go to guard. I guess I would rather see Taylor and Luko start with Harris off the bench than bring one of the bigger guards off the bench. That said, I do think Harris is an important player for us...I just agree the shouldn't primary offensive weapon, and I'd like us to play a bigger lineup since we can't shoot worth a damn.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,662
    Yeah, wish he would do the full blown flow a la Coby White style. Much more intimidating on defense.

willisbrown and NCJon like this.
  8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,662
    I felt like the offense was predictable in the 2nd half. Take the ball up the court and run a three man weave around the perimeter. Then Manny comes out for a high ball screen at the top of the key. When no one gets open, we end up chucking a low percentage brick from deep with the shot clock running down.

Penn State is a very good 3 point shooting team. Doubtful they are top half of the B1G though.

9. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $153
    Not discouraged… but it looks like it’s gonna take at least a year to get back to being a bubbleish team. Probably a few more guys that need to be cycled out and get more talent in.

Manny is head and shoulders our best player, stands out far above everyone else… and what his pro ceiling is probably a G-League guy to maybe getting a few years as a two-way back and forth body? Not a knock, but you need 2-3 of those level guys to be consistently competing (kamar, Kellen, rose, Sean, kelan, Tucker (lolz)) and the rest of this team probably isn’t anywhere close to that level. Can only coach ‘em up so much.

Lavalls dudes just arent good enough. Seem like nice kids, besides simas not really sure any have any business playing in a power conference. Use this year to see if any can stick and then gently usher the others to a nice MAC school to play out their last couple years.

Except Pierce. That’s dudes a dawg and can be my 8th/9th man any day

Just don’t have the talent necessary to compete where we wanna be right now. Even down 2 injured guys, a top 25 team handles Penn state in this one.

Fortunately the portal shinks the timeline a bit and the staff have shown they can identify and get better dudes in the door and they’re back to running a watchable offense and playing hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

PSUButlerFan and 2xDawg like this.
  10. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    You may be more correct in your assessment than I want to admit. So looking at the current roster, here's what I see so far looking ahead.

Hughes - Needs to transfer to the MAC, swap the roster spot with Kapke.
    J. Thomas - BE-caliber backup.
    Harris - BE-caliber backup with BE-caliber starter potential if he can reclaim his jump shot.
    Wilmoth - Jury's out. Needs to show that he can knock down 3s and play good D against opposing 4's.
    Tate - Jury's out. Needs to show that he can at least knock down mid-range shots and be a facilitating playmaker
    Taylor - BE-caliber backup with BE-caliber starter potential. Needs to become more consistent all-around as the year progresses
    P. Thomas - BE-caliber backup with BE-caliber starter potential if he can develop a jump shot.
    Bates - All-BE-caliber player.
    Turnbull - Jury's out. Needs to bulk-up this season and see what he develops into next season. Should develop into a decent BE-caliber backup at minimum.
    Ali - BE-caliber starter.
    JMM - Needs to transfer to the MAC if he elects to use his COVID year. I was okay with him staying this season, but not any longer.
    Lukocious - BE-caliber starter potential. I kinda see him as a boarderline starter presently. Needs to work on his 3pt shooting.
    Bizjack - BE-caliber starter potential. I get the impression that he has a good all-around game and is better than his ranking.
    Kapke - At least BE-caliber backup potential. Seems to at least meet the size requirements for a big man which is more than Lavall ever achieved during his 5 years of recruiting.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  11. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,585
    I really feel bad for Taylor. I think he could be special and was clearly working on his shot this summer but it has so far failed to translate. At this point he is probably overthinking it (looks like he pushes the ball a lot). I’m just hoping that the work he put in over the summer will just click at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,384
    Between some time and yesterday he fell back into bad habits with his release. It was cleaner, shorter, higher even a week ago.

You’re dead on that he’s overthinking but it’s gonna take a lot of time and work to implement the adjustments,

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Ross Hall likes this.
  13. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    Fwiw Kellen Dunham had a 2-32 slump over a 5 game stretch his sr year. Ended up shooting .429 for the season. Just saying.

BUcheer and DawgPoundMac like this.
  14. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,123
    Good point; that was a brutal stretch. The only difference, I guess, is that Taylor hasn’t shown a really hot streak yet to make you think he can do it. They all looked like they were trying to guide them in, rather than just shooting in rhythm. Hopefully, tomorrow night begins a new trend.

Ross Hall, bumba and jeff like this.
  15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Really hoping to see some improved perimeter shooting from our guards tomorrow & Sat. Would think it could be a confidence booster heading into Atlantis.

Tentozen likes this.
  16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,662
    Many nights KD had multiple guys following him around the court. Yes it was a slump, but no one was defended like Dunham was that year. Taylor doesn't exactly warrant that kind of attention in the scouting report.

Tentozen likes this.
  17. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,820
    Kelan had a simlar slumps too. I'm not worried (yet) about our perimeter guys. We know that Chuck, Jayden, Simas and Eric can hit from distance. And Ali Ali has that same ability. New coach, new system. I have confidence that it will all click. 5-23 from 3 and we only lost by 6. It's a lot like the 2011 NC game against UConn. If we had shot just a little bit better, we win against PSU (and we would have hung a Championship banner in Hinkle in 2011).

butlerbreadman and DawgPoundMac like this.
  18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,503
    I was definitely disappointed with how we shot. Lukas did a good job of differentiating the fact that we outplayed them but they out shot us, although it didn't feel like we were outplaying them. I felt like their guards felt very comfortable against ours and ours seemed uncomfortable against them. When you aren't comfortable, you don't do things as well as you would otherwise. The shooting is troubling and it will be nice to see some smoothe shot taking and making to build confidence before going up against another team that could, potentially, make our guards feel uncomfortable, again.

I did not care for Chuck's (2) 3 point chucks toward the end of the game and he is going to have to learn to playmake for others on drives, sometimes. Disappointed but not discouraged.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

WestLoopDog and Tentozen like this.
  19. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,239
    Yes, not a hot streak, although we know he's capable of shooting better than 0% from out there.

Tentozen likes this.
  20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    As fans we should be somewhat encouraged by BU's defense, which was more than adequate against PSU.

#60, DawgPoundMac, bumba and 2 others like this.